joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 3rd Snow/Sleet/FreezingRain/Rain Observations

IsentropicLift

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Drove from Rahway to Piscataway, leaving at 6 pm and arriving at 7 pm, for what is usually a 25 min ride.  Was 27F and sleeting heavily at the time.  Roads were treacherous - even Route 1 was snow/sleet covered and slippery - averaged 25-30 mph and saw a few spinouts.  Went in to the RU-MD hoops game (we lost, but played decently) and came out around 9:15 pm to freezing rain and 31F.  Clearly had been ZR for awhile as there was about an 1/8" layer of ice on everything.  The drive back to Metuchen was pretty slick, although with traffic and temps at 31-32F things were starting to melt a bit.  Temp hit 32F about a minute ago here in Metuchen.  My driveway is an absolute sheet of ice.  

Guesstimating 3/4" to maybe an inch of sleet/snow (didn't measure when the sleet ended) - anyone in Edison get a good measurement when the sleet stopped?  I'm taking the advice I gave to a bunch of folks - not clearing the driveway/sidewalk, as temps should be in the upper 30s by dawn and I hope the stuff on the paved surfaces will be mostly melted.  

Just saw the PNS with the Metuchen spotter reporting 1.2" of sleet and snow, which sounds pretty close to what I was thinking (his measurement was while I was at the game).  

Guest Pamela

Moderate rain Port Jeff 10:15 PM temp 34 F....snow melting...the time has arrived to clear those storm drains. :)

Guest Pamela

HPN and DXR?

I don't think any snow is measured at White Plains anymore...Danbury  I think they do.

I think it's going to create major issues tomorrow night through

I know at least on my block it will drain before we get cold enough to freeze it. But I'm sure there are spots that will not. This was one of my least favorite events this year. Just as it ripped in the city and I thought wow over performer it went to sleet.

Archived