• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Banter

mackerel_sky

Ouch. Yes I post in both, but I associate myself more with the SE crew. I'm closer to NC than DC. I prefer to be here because it's not focused on the 50mi radius around DC!

I love the roanoke area.  As you probably know, I taught in Floyd County, VA, many years ago.  My parents also retired to Bedford from NJ.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The SE as a whole on today's model runs:

Calm down boys (and gals), when Santa bomb is plowing into the lakes at sub 980mb or so I'm thinking we're going to have unstable solutions everywhere, on every OP, every ensemble, every map. That's what I think is happening right now. Maybe that's whats messing with the AO solutions, we won't know until the pattern change comes and things get settled. It's 12/20, we've got a ways to go especially for modeling to get things figured out. Don't forget the seasonal outlooks we've had from just about every seasonal model we can look at (including the beijing climate center model for heavens sake)...That's my halftime talk. Go Wolfpack!

I love the roanoke area. As you probably know, I taught in Floyd County, VA, many years ago. My parents also retired to Bedford from NJ.

Floyd County is very nice. I love the town of Floyd; It makes for a great day trip from Roanoke. Usually have to stop at the various shops in Floyd on the way to Mabry Mill too. I'm quite familiar with Bedford too and I spent a lot of time at the lake there when I was younger.

Just look at the 18z GFS. Where exactly does it go boom? I see all rain for the SE on the NY storm with 2m temps well above freezing. Also it still way out in fantasy land. Let's just keep moving the timeframe backwards.

I'll gladly take that look at 264. Cold air, High over the lakes and moisture incoming. 

Just look at the 18z GFS. Where exactly does it go boom? I see all rain for the SE on the NY storm with 2m temps well above freezing. Also it still way out in fantasy land. Let's just keep moving the timeframe backwards.

At least I try to remain positive. You are negative no matter what. What a hard way to go through life.

:D Darn. Ya guys found me out. :lol:

Yeah... I'm pretty excited. The chief drove me around on my interview last week and there was still snow on the northern side of rocks on top of the Blue Ridge where Skyline & Blue Ridge Parkway meet up.

I'm looking forward to the forecasting challenge and the substantial increase in climatological snow! :snowing:  Let's see how long it takes them to throw this Florida boy out in the snow. haha!

:D Darn. Ya guys found me out. :lol:

Yeah... I'm pretty excited. The chief drove me around on my interview last week and there was still snow on the northern side of rocks on top of the Blue Ridge where Skyline & Blue Ridge Parkway meet up.

I'm looking forward to the forecasting challenge and the substantial increase in climatological snow! :snowing:  Let's see how long it takes them to throw this Florida boy out in the snow. haha!

You're going to LOVE Blue Ridge Parkway, especially when fall comes around next year :)

This whole post is confusing...you mention 2m temps in the LR then you say it's also in fantasy land? I don't get it...why are you looking at 2m temps this far out?

This whole post is confusing...you mention 2m temps in the LR then you say it's also in fantasy land? I don't get it...why are you looking at 2m temps this far out?

First off, I said I was looking at the wrong model. Second, why are you asking me why I am looking at the temps this far out, but you don't question the folks posting 384/240 hour model runs every day?

First off, I said I was looking at the wrong model. Second, why are you asking me why I am looking at the temps this far out, but you don't question the folks posting 384/240 hour model runs every day?

I didn't see that post that you were looking at the wrong model, my bad.

To the second part, IMO it's because 2m temps will fluctuate like NUTS compared to an 850mb look...it just baffles me if you look at ground temps far out instead of an overall picture, like an 850mb or 500mb look. We don't know exactly what 2m temps will be 2 or 3 days from now but we have a general idea on where the 850 line will be. I asked why you cared to look at them that was my question.

I didn't see that post that you were looking at the wrong model, my bad.

To the second part, IMO it's because 2m temps will fluctuate like NUTS compared to an 850mb look...it just baffles me if you look at ground temps far out instead of an overall picture, like an 850mb or 500mb look. We don't know exactly what 2m temps will be 2 or 3 days from now but we have a general idea on where the 850 line will be. I asked why you cared to look at them that was my question.

I was seeing if 2m temps were cold enough to support frozen precipitation down here. :)

Archived