SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December Banter Thread 2

H2O

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the birders on the board.......According to the folks at Blackwater NWR in Cambridge, there are reports of unusually high numbers of snowy owls migrating south into the area due to a lack of food in the arctic. Sightings have already been recorded in DE, MD and VA. Kinda cool if you get a chance to see one.

For the birders on the board.......According to the folks at Blackwater NWR in Cambridge, there are reports of unusually high numbers of snowy owls migrating south into the area due to a lack of food in the arctic. Sightings have already been recorded in DE, MD and VA. Kinda cool if you get a chance to see one.

JFK, LGA and EWR also have been having issues with the snowy owls at the airports there. They brought in NWR I beleive and captured them all and took them far away from the airport locations.

JFK, LGA and EWR also have been having issues with the snowy owls at the airports there. They brought in NWR I beleive and captured them all and took them far away from the airport locations.

Indeed they are! Five planes hit in recent weeks.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Port-Authority-Killing-Snowy-Owls-Airports-Source-235026351.html

They are pretty rare to see. In Bird record keeping, there are only 4 recorded sighting in our county (2013, 1980, 1974).

This morning Matt and Randy were having an epic texting match starting around 4. For some reason I ignored it until around 530 when my gf threatened to kick me out because my phone kept buzzing. I think I slept for. 2 hours last night. Becoming delirious. The things we do for less than 1" of snow.

This morning Matt and Randy were having an epic texting match starting around 4. For some reason I ignored it until around 530 when my gf threatened to kick me out because my phone kept buzzing. I think I slept for. 2 hours last night. Becoming delirious. The things we do for less than 1" of snow.

I think you're girlfriend wanted to kick you out because you got excited over 1".

Holy ****...wow. I saw one on my neighbor's shed roof on Saturday. I was trying to figure out what sort of owl it was because I'd never seen one before and after seeing this post I looked them up and that's what I saw. It was indeed kinda cool. Amazing bird.

post-9-0-23439100-1386732356_thumb.png

post-9-0-68840700-1386732364_thumb.png

Just so you know, I'm only doing this for Melissa.

She will be happy. She was rambling about it this evening on the phone. It's sort of my thing to watch snow for a week then sleep through it anyway.

State of the snowpack - December 11 2013

Its barely mid December and Woodbridge already has 2 inches of snow and sleet on grassy surfaces. The snowpack is composed of an inch of glaciated snow and sleet, with another inch of compacted, frozen snow on top.

The ground is surface frozen which supports the snow/sleetpack. An anomalous frigid airmass over the eastern two thirds of the US will likely preserve this snow/sleetpack for at least part of the week.

Plows have piled up piles of sleet and snow as much as three feet tall. Tonight these will freeze fairly hard as temps fall to near 20 degrees. 

If this anomalously cold pattern continues, we could hold on to snowpack into next week. This is early for northeastern Virginia and is not indicated by climatology. This weather pattern is much more representative of late January.

By the end of Dec 11 the snowpack had been ravaged by highs near 44 degrees. The south facing lawns really took a beating. The snow north of any sunlight blocking objects, hills is in great shape. We lost about 30 percent of the snow cover today. From Dec 11 on, we had about 50 to 60 percent snow coverage with the typical south facing areas melting. By Dec 13 we had 50 percent areal coverage. Dec 11 was in the low 40s, then Dec 12 was 30 degrees for a high, then Dec 13 hit the low 40s again.

--------------------

Archived