joxey
December Banter Thread 2

H2O

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Neat old photos from December 1960 snow in Baltimore

http://darkroom.baltimoresun.com/2013/12/retro-1960-snow-storm-dec-11/#1

Thanks for posting that link.  It reminded me of a story my mother tells me every year on my birthday. She could hear the clip,clip,clip of his dress shoes as my Dad made his way down the hallway while rushing to her hospital room. This, after busting his butt to fly in from the Virgin Islands. Due to the storm, he arrived in the afternoon, about 12 hours late, but he got there!

The look on her face when she says, "he made it from the parking-lot to my room so quickly that the snow flakes on his jet black hair hadn't even started to melt." Well, that mental picture obviously brings a :).

The first snowstorm of the 1966 season occurred Dec. 13, when 4 inches of wet snow moving up from Southern Maryland blanketed Baltimore, Central and Western Maryland, disrupting automobile traffic and causing one fatal accident.

pixel.gif
pixel.gif

The storm caused several airlines to cancel flights while what was then called Friendship Airport remained in operation; Laurel Race Course (now Laurel Park) canceled its card; and arriving and departing shipping on the Chesapeake Bay was only "slightly slowed" by the storm, The Baltimore Sun reported.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2009-12-20/news/bal-md.backstory20dec20_1_snow-related-christmas-eve-christmas-day

I hope you guys do sometime this year... a nice southern system that gives me clouds and you guys a good thump.

I sincerely wish that one day every WxBell snow map starts to come true for all my DC area friends. I know that's probably a ridiculous wish and millions would die due to starvation because that much snow would never completely melt come summer, but I will wish it anyway.

Archived