joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Psuhoffman Storm

Ji

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this is a much better run than 18z.. 500 pattern is not quite as chaotic and the vort looks much healthier. most yrs you like this kind of look right now.

I watched this run unfold on PSU's wall, still trying to learn the maps at the various levels, up on the NE regional thread they are puzzled over the SLP being in a weird place given the vort max. Not sure which maps to look at to examine that and learn. Can anyone point me to where I should be looking? Trying to learn, thanks.

I watched this run unfold on PSU's wall, still trying to learn the maps at the various levels, up on the NE regional thread they are puzzled over the SLP being in a weird place given the vort max. Not sure which maps to look at to examine that and learn. Can anyone point me to where I should be looking? Trying to learn, thanks.

ncep or raleigh's site are prob best

http://raleighwx.americanwx.com/models/00znam.html

http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod/analysis/

this is a much better run than 18z.. 500 pattern is not quite as chaotic and the vort looks much healthier. most yrs you like this kind of look right now.

I'm glad you posted this. Now I don't feel so dumb for asking, but does the surface line up with what's going on upstairs? I looked at the 500 map at 66 hours, and thought, yeah baby, only to watch the surface go to crap.

Welleven this year the NAM past 48 hours-- good or bad-- still doesn't show what's actually going to happen .

true tho in some ways that makes a small good 'trend' even better. it definitely has diminished value once later in the run but it still pumps out a 'decent' look for the 500 low in this area. some oddities at the surface early may account for it not being further west.

http://raleighwx.americanwx.com/models/nam/00znam500mbvort078.gif

I disagree about this being a good run for Ric. Even with this thing to the south-east temps look to be an issue. Even if 850's below 0 you need heavy precip to dynamically cool the surface. Precip never really gets that heavy on the nam.

Still going with rain for Ric.

Thanks Ian. And where would one expect a SLP to be in relation to the vort max generally? Trying to understand the complaint voiced in the other thread.

generally it should be just to the southeast of the 500 vort tho im not sure that's always the rule and it depends on the tilt of the trough + how well developed/stacked the low is. mostly lows are tilted back to the northwest at height though. so as you move up from surface to 850 to 700 to 500 you'd see the respective lows a bit northwest of the previous.

This run is good if you believe in the north trend and are worried about temps. It is just barely not threading the needle, basically.

hopefully the gfs comes back west. after sref and nam i'd make a guess it will. the eastward move may just be a burp. gfs/euro had solid h5 tracks for a few runs in a row and the euro has been on something of precipy consquence for a while.

hopefully the gfs comes back west. after sref and nam i'd make a guess it will. the eastward move may just be a burp. gfs/euro had solid h5 tracks for a few runs in a row and the euro has been on something of precipy consquence for a while.

Agree. I would like the GFS to come back west to its 12z run

Archived