joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Psuhoffman Storm

Ji

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think part of it is the northern stream is too unstable/prone to having a million more shortwaves than seen from a week out. the euro will probably bail tonight if the others hold with the southeast look.

It seems you have the same idea as BI, as to how the Pacific Jet is irregular

in both the spacing of waves and the amplitudes being random.

The models will improve when we have more the data-sparce ocean regions filled in with rich data derived from satellite measurements. The Europeans have invested more in computing power, we need more tax money spent on computing power to placate the weenies.

We will have a perfect track, cold upper levels, and 40 degree rain at the surface... :(

It depends. If we can get the right 500 track and good lift it will mix down in banding etc. Once you cool the surface you probably don't go back.

It depends. If we can get the right 500 track and good lift it will mix down in banding etc. Once you cool the surface you probably don't go back.

May just be wishful thinking on my part, but it seems every time we have precip and 850's that are OK, the surface temp forecasts always seem too high. At least this time of year.

Bring it - I'll take my chances with the cold air

right, the SREF's are many models and I will gladly take my chances because I think things are turning for us on this one

Lets all gather and sing a song for good luck. :arrowhead:

2m temps are crashing at 75 and there's more precip to fall if you look at the 6hr precip maps

don't be surprised if the NAM looks darn good tonight

and even if it doesn't, it may take until 6Z or 12Z

it's moving out by then imo.. loop the 6hrs. the surface doesnt really concern me all that much with temps progged to be mostly in the 30s.

gotta assume many members of sref are west with the precip output, so i guess the weight should be toward nam being west but it could be one of those east ones...

We will have a perfect track, cold upper levels, and 40 degree rain at the surface... :(

Well with the surface 2m graphics, you can't easily tell if it's 33 F or more like 36 F. 33 F would be like 12/5/09 NW of the beltway while 36 would be like that storm at DCA. (12Z NAM ended up being around 33 F at IAD as the snow ramped up.) If we're going to literally analyze this ensemble mean, 40 F seems to be quite a bit SE of the cities.

May just be wishful thinking on my part, but it seems every time we have precip and 850's that are OK, the surface temp forecasts always seem too high. At least this time of year.

the no cold high thing still sucks but in some ways this slowing down as much as it has helped a little after it initially hurt. monday was great with the high still north, tuesday not as much with it right northeast but by wed it's pretty far out there and there is a little more cold up north to be tapped.

the no cold high thing still sucks but in some ways this slowing down as much as it has helped a little after it initially hurt. monday was great with the high still north, tuesday not as much with it right northeast but by wed it's pretty far out there and there is a little more cold up north to be tapped.

said that last night if you recall (either speed it up incredibly or slow it down to let things get right in Canada)

option 2 is giving us a fighting chance if nothing else

said that last night if you recall (either speed it up incredibly or slow it down to let things get right in Canada)

option 2 is giving us a fighting chance if nothing else

well and we do still have a -nao even if it's not optimal. so that's going to help push some colder air in our direction to be tapped even if there is no fat surface high.

Archived