joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Psuhoffman Storm

Ji

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like dynamics flip you over to a wet snow bomb. Ian may be taking more pics naked, of the DC landscape. banding looks great down that way.

im planning a shoot with a friend so i'll probably keep my clothes on this time

At 18z tomorrow, soundings look very close to all snow for everyone. The warm layer is between 800-900mb. DCA looks like it will be rain with temps probably +1-2C in that range and about +2C at the surface. IAD's peak temp looks to be about +1C around 800mb and then +1C at the surface. That's probably a mix...depending on precip rates. BWI is coldest of all...fractionally above freezing around 825mb, but dewpoint stays at/below freezing. Surface about +1C. That's probably a snow sounding. By 0z Thursday, soundings for everyone are all snow.

At 18z tomorrow, soundings look very close to all snow for everyone. The warm layer is between 800-900mb. DCA looks like it will be rain with temps probably +1-2C in that range and about +2C at the surface. IAD's peak temp looks to be about +1C around 800mb and then +1C at the surface. That's probably a mix...depending on precip rates. BWI is coldest of all...fractionally above freezing around 825mb, but dewpoint stays at/below freezing. Surface about +1C. That's probably a snow sounding. By 0z Thursday, soundings for everyone are all snow.

Agree... looks like the changeover will be around 3 PM IAD... 5 PM or so DCA/BWI

Latest GFS seems to bring a bit more precip out west into the valley. That's encouraging! If true, our sligtly cooler temps could get us a healthy accumulation.

i think the nam is advertising too small a precip area. the globals are probably more accurate with that though i'd lean toward the nam's convective signature. so just add all the good from the various models and enjoy.

its almost over by then with only .16" falling at BWI after 0Z Thursday

these kinds of situations are crazy because the insane rates and UVV's will mix enough to make it colder than what the models now show (providing the UVV's are there)

Wow...WRF soundings are even colder...all snow for the 3 airports by 18z tomorrow.

UKMET soundings are the warmest...all rain at 18z...but what the hell does the Ukie now about snow in the Mid-Atlantic? Let's toss it...:snowman:

this one is ours.. if the signs are bad they are wrong.

i think the nam is advertising too small a precip area. the globals are probably more accurate with that though i'd lean toward the nam's convective signature. so just add all the good from the various models and enjoy.

Yup, and the best depiction in precip field so far is the RGEM-- that keeps the heavy snow going longer past sundown than the GFS does. There has been a pretty substantial difference between the GFS and NAM/RGEM on when the heavy precip cuts off starting from the runs last evening.

its almost over by then with only .16" falling at BWI after 0Z Thursday

these kinds of situations are crazy because the insane rates and UVV's will mix enough to make it colder than what the models now show (providing the UVV's are there)

Tomorrow afternoon looks like a serious whooping...heavy big fat wet conglomerate flakes coming down at a serious pace. Visibility is going to be really low in some of these bands.

Archived