mowsee447
    Newest Member
    mowsee447
The Pattern beyond Jan 12

ORH_wxman

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

actually, I've got one to add to the "it's gon rain" side of the list...my birthday is Tuesday...laugh if you want, but I was born with a curse...it is not going to snow...

Happy Birthday! It's an awful day (1/18) for me. Anniversary of my grandmothers death 48 years ago Tuesday and my brother's death at age 31 on 1/18/82. But I'll be cheering you!

This is a very interesting pattern coming up. For the first time that I can remember in months, the MJO wants to put convection in the date line. It basically has been useless all year, but I think the +PNA type pattern that models are showing may at least be partly because of the progged convection. The NAO is forecasted to be near neutral or slightly positive. A + PNA with neautral NAO would likely be pretty cold for the east. No NAO block would likely allow any cold in Canada to spill into the eastern US. It remains to be seen exactly how cold it will get, but some of the models bring this into Quebec..if not right into the northeast.

Here are the MJO plots. Note how they want to bring convection into the dateline. Maybe this will weaken Nina some??

post-33-0-65551200-1294939651.gif

post-33-0-03818800-1294939664.gif

Nice observation re: the MJO. Good potential for disturbances amplifying into the eastern US with the +PNA

Only concern is the NAO. GFS and Euro ensembles are in pretty good agreement on an east based NAO. In combination with the +PNA, can spell below to well below normal temperatures. However this pattern is hinting at the dreaded cold/dry, warm/wet, rinse and repeat.

Nice observation re: the MJO. Good potential for disturbances amplifying into the eastern US with the +PNA

Only concern is the NAO. GFS and Euro ensembles are in pretty good agreement on an east based NAO. In combination with the +PNA, can spell below to well below normal temperatures. However this pattern is hinting at the dreaded cold/dry, warm/wet, rinse and repeat.

I think it's ok, as long as we have ridging poking into western Canada. Obviously it's tough to pin the exact details of height placements, but the big pieces are there anyways. Euro ensembles look similar to the op.

My thread title was not called that(it was subtitled that), Megan's was. You FTL.:popcorn:

Hence YOU Grandpa Weenie. The threat is legit, Jerry described it best, front end dump with ice to dryslot 3-6. JB warm January huge loss. Somebody notice the trend for the Euro to get colder each run, you have to run an animated GIF starting on the day ten run from 4 days ago where it had a big cutter with 850 temps plus 6-8.

Happy Birthday! It's an awful day (1/18) for me. Anniversary of my grandmothers death 48 years ago Tuesday and my brother's death at age 31 on 1/18/82. But I'll be cheering you!

urgh, that sucks for your birthday, sorry to hear that. Mines the 14th, lots of Jan birthdays here. Wish I was headed to Tampa on my birthday..:thumbsup:

I don't even bother to look at the 2m temps on the global models; they lack the resoloution for that.

Just look at the large scale players and you can usually get a good idea of who will torch and who won't based on climo.....no one should care that the GFS brings ORH to 48*, or whatever ungodly reading it has....it's often BS and irrelevant.

:lmao: Or, its SE bias is coming into play and it cuts to Wisconsin, leaving us with some snizzle overrunning, followed by a ten minute light shower associated with a cold front, then caa on sw winds!!!!

Actually, if you have a good arctic high in place at the lead in, you can getter a better front end dump by having the mid levels cut waaaaay west.....as opposed to up the Hudson or something.

Dec 16, 2007 is a good example.....the primary push of the warm tongue was west of us, into NYS beccause it was so far west and we were more heavily influenced by the impressive +pp to the N of ME.

This is why we had that classic obs map of Hyannis pounding snow, while Albany sleeted and rained.

Actually, if you have a good arctic high in place at the lead in, you can getter a better front end dump by having the mid levels cut waaaaay west.....as opposed to up the Hudson or something.

Dec 16, 2007 is a good example.....the primary push of the arm tongue was west of us, into NYS beccause it was so far west.

I agree 100%.......let it cut west of the lakes, I would be fine with that, but 18z is about the worst possible outcome for new england.

Wow, euro weeklies completely flipped the script.

They have the +PNA pattern on week 2, but evolve ridging into AK and western Canada on week 3, while having a +nao. This drives some cold air right into the US. Week 4 also has a +NAO but week + height anomalies over nrn Canada. It basically keeps most of the US below normal. Week 4 looks kind of ugly in the Bering Sea, but verbatim the weeklies are cold. They abandoned the -nao idea too.

Archived