• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
The Pattern beyond Jan 12

ORH_wxman

This is a very interesting pattern coming up. For the first time that I can remember in months, the MJO wants to put convection in the date line. It basically has been useless all year, but I think the +PNA type pattern that models are showing may at least be partly because of the progged convection. The NAO is forecasted to be near neutral or slightly positive. A + PNA with neautral NAO would likely be pretty cold for the east. No NAO block would likely allow any cold in Canada to spill into the eastern US. It remains to be seen exactly how cold it will get, but some of the models bring this into Quebec..if not right into the northeast.

Here are the MJO plots. Note how they want to bring convection into the dateline. Maybe this will weaken Nina some??

post-33-0-65551200-1294939651.gif

post-33-0-03818800-1294939664.gif

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK someone give me Euro good news, I am going to cry if we get a big rainstorm. It's just odd that with all the cold air that will be over our heads that this low will track that far west.

Not out that far yet, Clipper looks to redevelop over doweast maine though, But still has lt snows here..........

I'd have to go dig through some threads; but believe Jerry made a triple point prediction for next week.

GFS would argue 3-5" then a mix for interior, rain at the coast. It also appears that it wants to triple point sne...hopefully. Lets just get this east.

Edit: for next week that is.

Looks like right near the canal, but the system is much warmer than this past one. I would think snow near GC to Dendrite to Jaykawk witth a little IP mixed in. I think ORH and possibly Kev may start as snow, but go to a sleet or ice mix..maybe even rain, but quick snow to rain for the coast. If it can deepen a little quicker and shift east..it would be good for many. This actually does start out colder than 00z, but the vortmax is stronger and tucks the low close to the coast.

Looks tons better than that red-headed step-child bastage GFS does.

It did trend west a bit. My gut says it won't be a cutter, but could be something that tracks near the canal or se mass. It sux having a retreating high, and an area of low pressure sticking into the Great Lakes for my hood. This seems like an interior deal and up through NNE. It's not far from getting areas near me several inches so we'll see. The Rev and Will would probably eek out some snow.

defintely heading towards a bigger storm scenario on the euro

thats more fun to track, even if it misses me

SE sinking gradient pattern looks to be coming off the table based on the 12z runs.....

Like the gradient pattern..probably good for me too. I'm cool with you getting some action on this coastal, long as I don't changeover to plain rain. Wouldn't mind a crust for my 2 ft. LOL. Rooting for you, appreciate your posts on here. I know how you feel this year cuz its how I felt last year. Gradient pattern would make a lot of people smile from you down thru nne and at least cne

It did trend west a bit. My gut says it won't be a cutter, but could be something that tracks near the canal or se mass. It sux having a retreating high, and an area of low pressure sticking into the Great Lakes for my hood. This seems like an interior deal and up through NNE. It's not far from getting areas near me several inches so we'll see. The Rev and Will would probably eek out some snow.

The nice thing about this last little storm we just had is that up here there was never any question about rain gumming up the works. Not so this time.

wouldn't mind seeing that solution for obvious reasons...either a bunch of snow on top of snow or some snow and then a crust to be solidified by the cold that follows. If I"m figuring this pattern out roughly it looks like just maybe we

- have a break here to recover from our drunkeness of the last couple days

- a clean up the snowpack clipper comes thru this weekend.

- big storm tues/wed with mixing

- strong cold surge targeting us instead of Florida

- +PNA provides a gradient and lots of chances with a storm track that would bring some swfe.

After that the blocking probably returns in some form though perhaps a true warm-up happens first.

Archived