amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
January General Banter Thread II

Marion_NC_WX

• Replies 976
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, if we miss out on both chances, it's going to get real mythological up in this piece.

I was comparing my local snow totals with the rest of the southeast and we have consistently underperformed this season. (The is the moaning and complaining thread, right?) No offense to our friends to the south and west of us, but I should be at four feet of snow by now given their relative overperformance.

I guess that's the way it goes sometimes. The winter that could have been.

I was comparing my local snow totals with the rest of the southeast and we have consistently underperformed this season. (The is the moaning and complaining thread, right?) No offense to our friends to the south and west of us, but I should be at four feet of snow by now given their relative overperformance.

I guess that the way it goes sometimes. The winter that could have been.

Last winter was definitely the winter that could have been. The coldest January ever here and only one snow on January 30.

Man, there are sure a lot of uptight folks on this board. You think we would be talking about cancer instead of weather. God forbid some posters with more knowledge might want to help out those who are just amateur hobbyists and snow lovers.

Cancer? That is a little extreme even coming from youthumbsdownsmileyanim.gif That is no comparison to weather at all

Just saying it seems a lot of folks like to tell people how to post. You can't dare wonder how much the models say for your backyard, but posting only about your backyard is fine. I would just think that people would be more willing to help out and share info if they have it instead of just saying you go pay for it.

When someone says this pattern, model run, etc sure looks good for snow....Please try to at least try to generalize what areas of our region it applies to. Can't tell you the number of times I've been fired up after reading something like that only to find out I'm not even close. Now, I just look at the models first.

When someone says this pattern, model run, etc sure looks good for snow....Please try to at least try to generalize what areas of our region it applies to. Can't tell you the number of times I've been fired up after reading something like that only to find out I'm not even close. Now, I just look at the models first.

Seriously, that is what I am talking about. I just assume they are talking about their own backyard, though.

I agree. I have been on enough now to notice who is posting what and to know they are covering there BY, which is fine. That's the one huge difference in the SE regional thread versus the NY/PHL and MA thread. They are relatively good about covering there entire area, now granted the SE thread covers a bigger area so it is tougher to cover AL to TN to NC. I troll the NY and MA thread to get more information about my area a lot of the time. Yesterday Tombo and Midlo were posting updates in our SE region thread from the Euro for the eastern NC folks.

Have we had a "warm" rain this winter? I am talking about a rain where temperatures are in the 50s or higher? It seems like every single precipitation event here this winter has either been frozen or a cold rain with temperatures in the 30s. I may be forgetting a storm, but it's still pretty remarkable.

not here in n ga we havent. not only that, i dont think we have even reached the upper 50s imby since sometime in dec? i dont really remember the last time lol

Just saying it seems a lot of folks like to tell people how to post. You can't dare wonder how much the models say for your backyard, but posting only about your backyard is fine. I would just think that people would be more willing to help out and share info if they have it instead of just saying you go pay for it.

well there is an easy answer. learn to read the maps! then you will know what they are showing for your back yard. i dont think anyone is telling any one how to post. what is being discussed in the other thread are the posting etiquette...and long standing posting rules that have been in effect. no, newbies arent expected to know them. but when they are informed, they either get defensive and nasty or dont learn and keep asking. its no fun to read 10 pages of posts, with half of them being lazy people who never bother to read before posting, and try to weed out all the ridiculous posts (granted most of the offenders seem to have gone away).

but dont worry, you will always be the SE's #1 weenie :lol::scooter: we love you. :wub:

btw, i think that this thread [banter] is wide open to talk away and even ask the IMBY questions. most of the etiquette thread is really for the model and storm threads where it is assumed most have at least some basic knowledge of the weather, what we are watching, and what is expected to happen

obviously we all love to know the snow will be in our back yards and thats where most of us focus in depth. its only natural that the mets in atl post about, well n ga, those in nc post about nc etc.

ditto. when i first started on the boards, i would see something and get excited, then realize it wasnt my area. it did take me a while, but i finally had enough osmosis from other posters to figure out how to read the maps (at least enough to get by lol). once you can at least read the models a little it is way much easier to figure out what the pro mets and forecasters are talking about, and it also gives you a good idea of where they are talking about. you see great qpf over eastern tn or n ga and they are talking about the snow in e tn or n ga, well its a good bet you can tell the area they are discussing by looking at the map.

generally speaking, i think the assumption is (at least imho) that if you are posting in the model or forecast threads, esp during storm mode (which is a written, known mode/rule) is that you have seen the models and/or are able to read enough to join in the discussion. if you can read the models, and know what the qpf pattern is over the se, know what the snowfall maps are showing, know where the magical 850 line is, and the temp contours its really not taht hard to follow along the conversation and know what people are talking about.

side note, i like having more TN posters here. i have been in tn many many times...including some good snows in the eastern mountains. unfortunately, i just dont know much about that areas weather. its nice having yall here to add to the se thread since you are right next door, so to speak. hopefully as the board expands, and we are able to see what happens in tn after whats been progged, TN forecasts will be discussed in more detail with the se than it was the last year or so.

What up Brick...I'm really not that uptight of a person and lots of times I'm just giving you a hard time but there are times where I'm a little more serious. I think a lot of times that comes from the old days on the weather boards. If you think this is bad you should of seen what it was like back on WWBB and early days of Eastern. Lots of times my irritation comes from people that don't want to learn anything. Last year, I gave you all kinds of links to models and tried to show you how to read the models but you showed no interest in my help. Believe me, that's fine but you just can't come on here and expect people to say "Brick you are getting this in your back yard." Some people pay good money for access to the euro maps and I don't think it's a fair expectation for them to make sure you know what the qpf is for your area. If they give it to you that's great but just don't expect it. I have access to the euro but during work hours it's tough for me to analyze qpf totals until well after the run is over. If I don't see where totals have been posted I will try to post them once I get a chance. Also, there are others here that know a lot more about weather than me, but I try to learn something new everyday from those more knowledgeable.

I have been lurking on Eastern/American for 2 years now, and the philosophy I take is to read and learn about the weather. I am a hobbyist too, I love the weather and love learning how read the weather models (something I learned how to do by the posts and knowledge of the more professional meterologists here). I love snow as much as the next person, but the weather will do what it wants to do, regardless of what anyone says here, same with the models. They will do they want, but at the end, they are just guidance. The weather will do what it wants. Also, I am from Greensboro, North Carolina, attending East Carolina University in Greenville, NC. What I have learned to do here is read what everyone is saying and learn more about the weather instead of asking someone about it. As my further time on the message board continues, I learn more and more about the weather, the weather models, and how to read them. Just take a deep breath and let the people who know what they are doing tell you how it is going to end up. I have learned to respect their opinions, because they know the weather bettert han I do.

Ideally we'd have red/yellow tags in every area, but it just doesn't pan out that way. I'll take an intermediate position - similar to what Carver said. If you're bothering to post model info, would it kill you to take an extra second and give a little more geographical info? Would go a long, long way to nipping IMBY in the bud before it ever starts.

And responses like "read more post less" and "learn how to read the maps" aren't terribly helpful (many of us CAN read the maps, but that's beside the point). If you're posting just to hear yourself talk, why do it?

Definitely after a first post, I'd be a little upset.

All I am saying is don't be complaining about what I said, I agree, most people do know how to read the maps, but to the people who don't want to spend the time to analyze them, pay for them, or learn how to read them should do what I have and not complain about the meterologists/people in their own backyard not post anything about their own backyard. I don't care either way what happens just because I love learning about the weather and it will help me in the future on how to identify/realize patterns.

In my first post, I said I was from Greensboro, North Carolina, and currently in Greenville, NC. Once again, I am not here to start anything, just to read about people have to say about the general pattern of things, not just necessarily one portion of the southeast, or where I am currently.

Ideally we'd have red/yellow tags in every area, but it just doesn't pan out that way. I'll take an intermediate position - similar to what Carver said. If you're bothering to post model info, would it kill you to take an extra second and give a little more geographical info? Would go a long, long way to nipping IMBY in the bud before it ever starts.

And responses like "read more post less" and "learn how to read the maps" aren't terribly helpful (many of us CAN read the maps, but that's beside the point). If you're posting just to hear yourself talk, why do it?

i think most of the time geographical info is given, and usually if you are following the threads you can figure out where people are talking about pretty easily. if you CAN read the maps, then why is it beside the point and why would the IMBY question need to be asked in the first place?

many of us started as long time lurkers and then once we read and learned the ropes, so to speak, we would start posting when we thought we could add to the discussion. if you constantly have to thread through a lot of one liners and argumentative posts its not all that fun :yikes:

most of us learned as well. also, there are usually multiple threads going. i think the model/storm discussion thread is the only one where these comments usually crop up. the banter thread is a free for all, and the obs has general discussion. the model thread is NOT the thread for the the IMBY questions, but rather a discussion of the overall set up, consensus, storm, etc

even the prior board had 'storm mode' with these rules, its not rocket science. i will give credit to those in areas that have not been discussed as much. we only recently got some areas in, so a lot of us are trying to be inclusive. but we have to learn about those areas, now :) (or at least i do) before adding anything to the discussion for places like alabama and tn

i guess i just dont understand what the big deal is about keeping one thread clean and for a specific purpose (and keeping out unnecessary posts).

maybe we could have two threads on the models - the main one and a novice one :thumbsup: letting the novice one have a lot more questions and sort of a learn as you go thread. we all had to learn, and most in the se thread readily answer questions. but the IMBY questions as the models are running and being analyzed is just not really the most appropriate thing to go in that thread.

remember, when the mets and pro forecasters are talking about the latest runs, they are doing so in real time as we all are. so they dont have the time to analyze and read all of the panels for all areas. they focus on their areas, of course, and the blanks get filled in as the discussion progresses. they are taking time to post their comments here free, and this is their profession, and that is the time for them to shine :sun:

* * * back to the weather!

wwa are now out for ne ga and the upstate into sw nc - radar is looking healthy, so maybe it wont diminish too much by the time it gets here (i hope the mtns dont zap it) :snowman:

Well, I know cannot contribute anything other than pure observations, but I definitely will leave the more professional stuff for the meterologists/professional forecasters to analyze. Yes, I am very greatful for their opinions, and without them, I would definitely not have known how to even read the maps, what a "540" line would have meant, and whatnot. I don't need to ask IMBY questions because I try to guess and/or read what other posters have said that are from the area. No need for whining to them about getting what the weather will give them. If you take the time to read and observe, and pay for the more detailed things relating to the weather, you don't have to ask these questions. I have learned to read what the meterologists and people like WeatherNC have to say, because they are from the same area as me, and there's no need to ask, because I just follow what he says. It may be redundant, but I've been looking so long at people get irritated and if they did a little research, and tried to learn about it, they could understand it better.

Cancer? That is a little extreme even coming from youthumbsdownsmileyanim.gif That is no comparison to weather at all

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you read Brick's post on a tiny mobile screen, but -- regardless -- you missed his point entirely.

Exactly. I chuckle when I read those sorts of posts. When people say "we", they often mean "my next door neighbors and I".

I hate to agree with Brick, but sometimes there is a little too much uptightness on the board. I know there have to be some rules, guidelines, framework, etc., but above all, it should be a fun atmosphere. We all love the weather and the way we express that can vary greatly from person to person. I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing. The other side of the coin is that as much as we love it and as much fun as it can be, it can be equally, if not more frustrating. There should be enough latitude and enough understanding to account for both the exuberance and the frustration that sometimes occurs. Not to say that one should overwhelm a discussion with meaningless comments, but if someone asks how much the Euro shows for a location, and it hasn't been previously posted, then there shouldn't be 5 posters attacking that person.

And I agree with Carver's Gap, we've heard lots of phrases like, "Heavy snow breaking out in NC" or "One for the ages for some". If you don't want to be questioned, then more specificity should be given. So you really can't blame folks for asking questions for their area when it's unclear whether or not their area is being discussed.

Having said all of that, the stupid, "This winter sucks" or "I think if this one doesn't happen, winter's over" or statements like that have no meteorological support and given without any explanation as to their veracity should not clutter up the discussion threads. The Banter thread is appropriate for that.

Also, asking a question is fine. For example, "Do the ensembles show a -NAO forming?" is an OK question. A better question is, "How can I tell whether or not the ensembles show a -NAO forming?" Once explained, that question shouldn't be asked by that same person again. If they're going to participate in a discussion, they should accumulate knowledge and resources to discover information (models, climate data, teleconnections, etc.) so that they don't have to ask the same questions over and over again. That happens a lot and it drives people crazy.

With some understanding, some patience, and some forbearance by mods, mets, and hardcore enthusiasts, and by some ownership in learning by the less informed, this place can achieve its overall objective of being an informative, enlightening, and ultimately fun place to discuss, debate, and learn about weather, which is what most of us are here to do.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Ok, getting back to the lighter side of things and to use what the banter thread is for, did anyone in the RDU area hear Fish tonight at 10pm? At the end of the weather forecast, when showing the 7 day, he said "as far as Tuesday through Friday I just don't know in this pattern." It did show snow Monday night and Tuesday. I think he is studying all the models right now also.

Exactly. I chuckle when I read those sorts of posts. When people say "we", they often mean "my next door neighbors and I".

I just don't get this mentality that somehow a stranger owes it to you to report on what your city should expect. Personally I don't live in GSO or RDU so why should I give two craps? The only reason I report on any city outside of CLT is if no one else on the board is discussing it. When someone from GA posts do I wish they would mention CLT? Sure but do I get upset that they don't mention a area they don't live in? No and it's pretty foolish to expect them to do so. Believe me I used to complain about how CLT was overlooked, so you know what I did? I PAID for maps and started listening to everyone around here. Now I can just look and find out what is going to happen for MBY...something Brick has never even attempted to do. banned.gif

By the way with so many folks living in different areas with such vast climo it's pretty tough to say "we" without it meaning people close to your back yard.

Ok, getting back to the lighter side of things and to use what the banter thread is for, did anyone in the RDU area hear Fish tonight at 10pm? At the end of the weather forecast, when showing the 7 day, he said "as far as Tuesday through Friday I just don't know in this pattern." It did show snow Monday night and Tuesday. I think he is studying all the models right now also.

At least he is being honest!

And even the people on the 24th and 25th thread thread are all over the place saying what the latest GFS shows. Some say snow, some say rain.

For once they can't all tell us one solution, but if meteorologists are putting up different totals on TV during the storm, then you can imagine the disagreements between meteorologists for this system. However, most are agreeing mostly rain...and I think the cutoff will be quite sharp....I-77 and west for all snow sounds right, verbatim from the GFS. Of course the GFS will flip again, we can ALL count on that. I think Raleigh and west is still sitting good.

Archived