12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
January General Banter Thread II

Marion_NC_WX

• Replies 976
  • Created
  • Last Reply

as for the whining and griping - it is hard to be sitting on the sidelines while a lot of other people are getting plastered. trust me, those of us in n ga and the upstate can relate to that. however, whining and griping doesnt mean you have to be nasty to those getting in on the action.

besides, we can wish, wishcast, and want all we want, but we cant change anything (sadly...boy if we only could lol) some will be in the action and some on the sidelines. its painful to see yby with rain and one or two counties getting 6+" - griping is understandable. being mean to those in the snow isnt

fortunately, so far this year many of us have been hit, the march 09 one people are discussing was a pretty small, limited system with only a small stripe of heavy snow. a lot of us got snow on christmas and another one last week :snowman: lets keep the winter storm train rolling

hmmmmm...who has like the best and near perfect track record this year, even far out and against the general media and nws? out own robert (foothills). you should know to trust peeps here over the media and nws this far out :snowman: we are still fine at this point - i really wish it were is a sun. night/monday event so we wouldnt have to wait so dang long

as for the whining and griping - it is hard to be sitting on the sidelines while a lot of other people are getting plastered. trust me, those of us in n ga and the upstate can relate to that. however, whining and griping doesnt mean you have to be nasty to those getting in on the action

ok, now that would be whining, griping, complaining and throwing stuff out the window frustrating :banned: esp if its below freezing not too far away

Excellent post!

Well, RAH pretty much has no clue yet what it will do here. Rain, mix, snow?

Uhhh... they have a handle of the GENERAL idea, which is all anyone can claim to have this far out, especially with a setup this complex.

Did you expect something like this?

... AS FOR PRECIP TYPE... THINKING ALL SNOW FROM GSO WEST. TRANSITION ZONE EXPECTED TO SET UP FROM GSO TO RDU. HOWEVER... IN WAKE FOREST... THINKING ALL SNOW WITH SFC TEMPS BELOW ZERO.

If I had the power, this would have been 5-post limit material for awhile, to mull the tone over and make necessary changes in a step up manner. Just like with every area, there are some, even many concerned only about there backyard. However, we as a SE weather community do a better job of not becoming hostile towards our neighbors, than the other regionals on this board. Your comment was hostile in nature, and largely unfounded based on conduct from the overwhelming majority of the great posters here. The bolded parts are what I have a real issue with, as during almost every sig weather event here in the SE, we are here, reading, posting, and keeping tabs of the goings on, regardless of how they affect us and without ill will towards others. I suggest you start doing the same. :)

Why don't you get the power! great statement and i hope all read.

ok, now that would be whining, griping, complaining and throwing stuff out the window frustrating :banned: esp if its below freezing not too far away

:lol: It's usually like that here in the midlands of SC :P I have had a fantastic winter so far, no complaints from me if I end up with 33 and rain :) For many this will be an amazing system, and I'm already looking forward to watching it unfold :hug:

Regarding the criticism of FFC, I think they are doing fine for the time being. We're still 4-5 days out, it is absolutely too early to nail down amounts like some people are trying to do, especially with the degree of model spread we're seeing. Hopefully things will get ironed out over the weekend and they'll start biting (or back off if things go bad).

The way that I understood it was they were putting all of the options out their, and they do have a clue. Trust me, I talk to them frequently.

Were you the one that called them during the last event and said Wake needed to be under a WSW and not a WWA?

Were you the one that called them during the last event and said Wake needed to be under a WSW and not a WWA?

Winston Salem to be exact. Their next forecast period they put us under a WSW, mission accomplished. I call them from time to time just to chat about the weather since then. Really nice guys, who put up with a lot of crap.

We're turning into the mid-atlantic sub forum. :yikes: Stop the insanity.

hear hear! that is so sad, the se has historically had the best, more civilized posters. to make a post that someone else should lose out so your back yard can win is pretty pathetic. too bad WeatherNC can give out post limits :lol:

as stated and should be obvious. we cant control the weather! yes i get pissed when i missed a good winter storm by 20 or 30 miles. but i cant do anything about it (other than drive half an hour to check it out lol)

i dont know why some of the less-than-nice posters have come out of the woodwork this year it seems. if anyone has reason to whine and moan it would have to be the upstate up towards eyewall and foothills.

folks remember this is the SOUTHeast. a 4" snowfall is a pretty big one...anything else is a major bonus! outside of the nc mtns and tn mtns, most of us just dont see that much snow. honestly, a lot of us have probably had more i the last two winters than in the 10 previous winters :scooter:

Regarding the criticism of FFC, I think they are doing fine for the time being. We're still 4-5 days out, it is absolutely too early to nail down amounts like some people are trying to do, especially with the degree of model spread we're seeing. Hopefully things will get ironed out over the weekend and they'll start biting (or back off if things go bad).

yikes, sorry but i just had to edit your horrible comment out of that post. bite ye tongue :lmao::yikes:

The GFS is his dealer.

lol- after your post on the verification, i was surprised to see the gfs so far down :bike: you'd think the US could do something to the code/programming to at least make it a little better

Winston Salem to be exact. Their next forecast period they put us under a WSW, mission accomplished. I call them from time to time just to chat about the weather since then. Really nice guys, who put up with a lot of crap.

Just picking with you triad. Turned out to be right, even in the Triangle we had enough sleet/ice to warrent such.

I guess but that's a flat out dangerous forecast..

Yea, my problem is that he said it as fact . No "it could be nothing" or " it most likely wont be......" or "there's time it could change but right now...". His exact words were " it won't be a big storm and it will be in and out so we'll get only a dusting at best". I guess he's entitled to his opinion.

:axe:

Itunis,

I respect your opinion more than that of FFC. They have been sub-par, period. I wish Steve Nelson could write all of their discos as he seems to be the only one to give thought to his words instead of regurgitating MOS/MAV temp readings and GFS outputs. With the last storm, they seemed to be bullish about accumulation all the way until Saturday and then they started sand crabbing and lowering totals. They are always playing catch up it seems and have put many, many people in harms' way this winter when there was absolutely no reason for it. Remember, this last event started on Sunday night. There was no reason to get cold feet with a good, earlier forecast but hey! That's what FFC does best. :arrowhead:

Itunis,

I respect your opinion more than that of FFC. They have been sub-par, period. I wish Steve Nelson could write all of their discos as he seems to be the only one to give thought to his words instead of regurgitating MOS/MAV temp readings and GFS outputs. With the last storm, they seemed to be bullish about accumulation all the way until Saturday and then they started sand crabbing and lowering totals. They are always playing catch up it seems and have put many, many people in harms' way this winter when there was absolutely no reason for it. Remember, this last event started on Sunday night. There was no reason to get cold feet with a good, earlier forecast but hey! That's what FFC does best. :arrowhead:

FCC may be sub-par at the moment, but it really is too early to make a forecast for Tuesday's weather. If they mention "Winter Storm" or "accumulations", then everything breaks loose and they are bombarded with phone calls, etc. They do run conservatively, but they are good people. I'm sure they will have something up by Sunday. I mean, it's not like any of us would have a decent forecast for this storm at this moment anyways.

FCC may be sub-par at the moment, but it really is too early to make a forecast for Tuesday's weather. If they mention "Winter Storm" or "accumulations", then everything breaks loose and they are bombarded with phone calls, etc. They do run conservatively, but they are good people. I'm sure they will have something up by Sunday. I mean, it's not like any of us would have a decent forecast for this storm at this moment anyways.

No where did I wonder why FFC hasn't issued amounts for Tuesday, blah, blah, blah....

What I am venting about is their recent track record and the lack of discussion about possibilities that exist beyond the GFS. I am sure they are a fine collection of people that I would love to sit and eat chicken with and all of that jazz but what I do know is, when given an opportunity to warn the public of impending dangerous conditions, they have failed miserably at their job and other people have had to pay the price for that by being stuck for hours on end on ice-covered roads or not ever being able to come home from work until a day or so later. You can rationalize all you want about that group but I lost respect for their forecasting ability long ago. Sorry.

Good luck ya'll tonight and tomorrow on the model roulette! Esp. you Mark, burrel, lilj kazoo, cad addict and NeGa..that would mean it's good for me! Tremendous potential for this storm either way, could be a heart breaker or a blizzard maker...hoping for the latter.

The odds are not in our favor but this has already been an odd winter for us. Nearly a foot of snow in the upstate in 1 winter is insane but we'll gladly take more. Gotta work all weekend but will check in when time allows.:popcorn:

I am working in Cherryville next week and staying at a Hampton Inn in Gastonia, so you have a little more wish power on your side this time around.:snowman::lol:

:snowman:

Actually, this is the kind of situation that would plaster Cherryville. They always see more snow than the rest of the county. If it snows though, I wouldnt recommend travel on 274...that road is some kind of dangerous even in dry weather.

:snowman:

Actually, this is the kind of situation that would plaster Cherryville. They always see more snow than the rest of the county. If it snows though, I wouldnt recommend travel on 274...that road is some kind of dangerous even in dry weather.

With my luck, it will rain in Cherryville and hammer Aville with a record snow.:sun: Would 274 be a route between Cville and Gastonia.?I used to live in Shelby, but I was 10 when I left, so my road memory is limited to Shelby.

Archived