• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
January General Banter Thread II

Marion_NC_WX

Because it sucks when there is snow all around you but you don't get any.

We've had two good snows this winter, both in December. I'd like some more if others around me are going to get it. Everyone on here is like that.

You know what else sucks? Watching areas east of I-77 get pounded back in 2000 and Raleigh get 2 feet of snow while west of I-77 saw nothing. Or leaving Raleigh to go home for winter break and the next day waking up to see points Raleigh-east got 4+ inches of snow right after you left. Or getting the short end of the stick compared to the rest of the state during the Christmas storm. Do I need to keep on? Instead of complaining about it, suck it up and move on. I get tired of seeing people whining about snow no matter where they are, that goes for the CLT area too. I live here, it's my choice, and I knew before moving here that winters would suck compared to what I was used to growing up just 50 miles northwest of here. It's why I will gladly be moving to somewhere in the Asheville area (hopefully north of town on a mountain if I am lucky) sometime in the future due to my fiance wanting to move back so she can be closer to family. Anyway, enough of my rant.

• Replies 976
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like it is time to find a cliff.

This track will not give RDU any appreciable snow on the front or back end. After the storm passes and moves north, the deformation band will be west of the Triangle. As it slowly moves east, it will weaken and drop no more than an inch on the soaking wet ground.

I think there's still a risk of a more westward track too.

We can use the rain. Just wish it wan't 38 degree with 20 mph wind torrential rain like it looks like it will be.

Yeah, that's going to be just awesome.

This is just like last winter. We have had a lot of cold air and only one good snow to show for it, and that was in December. January has stunk. A lot of wasted potential with these great patterns and threats. Same thing as last winter. I hate having the cold weather with no snow.

Yeah, that's going to be just awesome.

This is just like last winter. We have had a lot of cold air and only one good snow to show for it, and that was in December. January has stunk. A lot of wasted potential with these great patterns and threats. Same thing as last winter. I hate having the cold weather with no snow.

I love cold rain! ;)

Some qpf numbers through 144:

through 144 hours QPF (their estimates)

ATL 1.10"

AHN 1.05"

BHM 1.00"

HSV 1.10"

MEM .45"

BNA .95"

JAN 1.05"

LIT .20"

TYS 1.15"

TRI 1.20"

AVL 1.20"

GSP 1.15"

CAE .85"

CHS 1.35"

ILM 2.10"

RDU 2.05"

GSO 1.30"

ELZ 2.95"

RIC 3.10"

ORF 3.0"

ROA 1.60"

DCA 2.95"

PHL 2.95"

NYC 3.0"

PIT .65"

Great. Over 2 inches of precip and all rain. Miserable.

March 2009 all over again :gun_bandana: :gun_bandana: :gun_bandana::devilsmiley::(

12Z GFS

110125/1200Z 96 03006KT 32.7F RAIN 0:1| 0.0|| 0.0 0.094|| 0.09 0.00|| 0.00 0.00|| 0.00 0| 0|100

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date/hour FHr Wind SfcT Ptype SRat|Snow||TotSN QPF ||TotQPF Sleet||TotPL FZRA||TotZR S%| I%| L%

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

110125/1500Z 99 07004KT 35.2F RAIN 0:1| 0.0|| 0.0 0.165|| 0.26 0.00|| 0.00 0.00|| 0.00 0| 0|100

110125/1800Z 102 31004KT 41.2F DZ 0:1| 0.0|| 0.0 0.008|| 0.27 0.00|| 0.00 0.00|| 0.00 0| 0|100

I think most of NC does have a good chance in the next five days of seeing snowflakes falling from the sky.

Whether any of them pile up on each other east of I-85 is anyone's guess.

Haha! Well put. If this plays out the way the Euro has depicted it, the dynamic cooling is going to be REALLY interesting to watch. Sure, a Gulf low is "better" for snow here, but a bomb just east of RDU is a hell of a lot cooler.

as for the whining and griping - it is hard to be sitting on the sidelines while a lot of other people are getting plastered. trust me, those of us in n ga and the upstate can relate to that. however, whining and griping doesnt mean you have to be nasty to those getting in on the action.

besides, we can wish, wishcast, and want all we want, but we cant change anything (sadly...boy if we only could lol) some will be in the action and some on the sidelines. its painful to see yby with rain and one or two counties getting 6+" - griping is understandable. being mean to those in the snow isnt

fortunately, so far this year many of us have been hit, the march 09 one people are discussing was a pretty small, limited system with only a small stripe of heavy snow. a lot of us got snow on christmas and another one last week :snowman: lets keep the winter storm train rolling

Seems like everyone else is saying just rain here.

hmmmmm...who has like the best and near perfect track record this year, even far out and against the general media and nws? out own robert (foothills). you should know to trust peeps here over the media and nws this far out :snowman: we are still fine at this point - i really wish it were is a sun. night/monday event so we wouldnt have to wait so dang long

as for the whining and griping - it is hard to be sitting on the sidelines while a lot of other people are getting plastered. trust me, those of us in n ga and the upstate can relate to that. however, whining and griping doesnt mean you have to be nasty to those getting in on the action

March 2009 all over again :gun_bandana: :gun_bandana: :gun_bandana::devilsmiley::(

12Z GFS

110125/1200Z 96 03006KT 32.7F RAIN 0:1| 0.0|| 0.0 0.094|| 0.09 0.00||

110125/1500Z 99 07004KT 35.2F RAIN 0:1| 0.0|| 0.0 0.165|| 0.26 0.00||

ok, now that would be whining, griping, complaining and throwing stuff out the window frustrating :banned: esp if its below freezing not too far away

I really wish you eastern NC people would stop wishing for a weaker OTS storm so y'all can get your little 2" snow.

Personally here in the foothills we haven't had a big snowstorm over 10" since the late 90's probably. Y'all down east have had several, especially 2000.

So sorry but it's our turn in the western piedmont and foothills!! People assume WNC get a lot more snow and that is not true unless you are the mtns, thats the true WNC.

Had to let it out sorry, let's hope for a HECS and not a dud ok? Thanks

If I had the power, this would have been 5-post limit material for awhile, to mull the tone over and make necessary changes in a step up manner. Just like with every area, there are some, even many concerned only about there backyard. However, we as a SE weather community do a better job of not becoming hostile towards our neighbors, than the other regionals on this board. Your comment was hostile in nature, and largely unfounded based on conduct from the overwhelming majority of the great posters here. The bolded parts are what I have a real issue with, as during almost every sig weather event here in the SE, we are here, reading, posting, and keeping tabs of the goings on, regardless of how they affect us and without ill will towards others. I suggest you start doing the same. :)

If I had the power, this would have been 5-post limit material for awhile, to mull the tone over and make necessary changes in a step up manner. Just like with every area, there are some, even many concerned only about there backyard. However, we as a SE weather community do a better job of not becoming hostile towards our neighbors, than the other regionals on this board. Your comment was hostile in nature, and largely unfounded based on conduct from the overwhelming majority of the great posters here. The bolded parts are what I have a real issue with, as during almost every sig weather event here in the SE, we are here, reading, posting, and keeping tabs of the goings on, regardless of how they affect us and without ill will towards others. I suggest you start doing the same. :)

+1. Very well said. :whistle:

Like I said this morning, people west and south seem to be hearing what they want to hear. I think it's awesome when anyone gets snow and I was particularly excited for the MS-AL-GA crew who got a big hit two weeks ago that never really do.

But this widespread attitude on the boards that everyone needs to be laser focused on their backyard and if we aren't we "aren't happy for them" and "aren't rooting for them" is a joke. Sorry.

It's not "your turn". People seriously seem to think this has become a video game where the states and regions are trying to steer the storm their way. It doesn't work like that.

If you want to make the Rowan County Weather Forums or whatever the case may be, don't let us stop you.

I think in a lot of cases it is coming down to the people who are more climate focused in their thinking getting upset when someone in a climate not favorable for winter weather cashes in while they see little to nothing. If that damn storm in 2000 wouldn't have happened, or March '93, there would be a lot less hostility. Once one area gets a historic event that another one gets nothing out of, in the same state and within 100 miles mind you, then the have not's want their piece of the pie sometime sooner rather than later. Listen, I want you guys to cash in so I don't have to ignore people from GSO east to keep from hearing the non-stop teeth gnashing whenever a winter storm starts to not look good for those areas (Every region of the SE has this, but I swear the majority of posters who do this (namely Brick, Widre and a few others), which isn't alot but enough to irritate some of us, are from GSO-east . At the same time, us guys back west just need to know that 9 times out of 10 we will get more winter weather in a season than you guys. And for everyone, just realize that nothing we do can control Mother Nature and whatever God, Buddha, Mohamed, etc. want her to do. You'd think we are talking about BBQ in here. Don't make me do some editing skills and produce a Jim Mora-esque rant.

Archived