joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE/NE MD OBS Thread for current 12/26 snowstorm

hurricaneschwartz

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My first obs since 6pm...6.1" here in Willow Grove.

My father in law also measured 8.5" in Atco, NJ as of 7:45pm.

I was out & about for a little while. The major roads are plowed but snow covered (Rts 611, 63, 263), & the PA Turnpike looks to be the same. Other local roads are surprisingly bad for a moderate event. A couple of roads were almost completely drifted over making the lanes impossible to see. Thank goodness for street signs.

Snowfall rates have increased dramatically here in Jenkintown over the past 1/2 hour. Wind also picking up as well. Perhaps that band is coming in....

I live right next to Jenkintown (Elkins Park) and yeah the snow has definitely increased. Its not due to the main band however. It is another band that appears to be strengthening right over the area. This is encouraging to see. I did not think we would much of an increase in intensity west of the large deformation band.

I'm gonna go outside for a bit and get some measurements Snowman.gif

Measuring in this sucks, although the wind is not really blowing too hard. Occasionally it gusts to say 15-20 but nothing major.

About 6.25" in Hatboro. Snow was getting heavier while I was outside. I actually had accumulations on my face. Rates close to 1" an hour right now, I'd say. Heaviest of the day. Local mets said 10PM end time...seems a bit off.

As an aside, I say after this storm PA and NJ should be separated. Different climates it seems and I don't like hearing about all their good observations. :P

My first obs since 6pm...6.1" here in Willow Grove.

My father in law also measured 8.5" in Atco, NJ as of 7:45pm.

I was out & about for a little while. The major roads are plowed but snow covered (Rts 611, 63, 263), & the PA Turnpike looks to be the same. Other local roads are surprisingly bad for a moderate event. A couple of roads were almost completely drifted over making the lanes impossible to see. Thank goodness for street signs.

Woodbury NJ...just SSE of PHL...

squeezing out 6.3" here (average of multiple measurements)...might be as low as 5" or as high as 8"....agreed about the roads...cold and wind are making it very icy after plow pass, which leads to immediate further accumulation and compaction to more ice...Rt 45 here reminds me of conidtions at the height of 12/19 last year...snow blows right back on to the road after plows come through. Still at or close to moderate snow here.

Measuring in this sucks, although the wind is not really blowing too hard. Occasionally it gusts to say 15-20 but nothing major.

About 6.25" in Hatboro. Snow was getting heavier while I was outside. I actually had accumulations on my face. Rates close to 1" an hour right now, I'd say. Heaviest of the day. Local mets said 10PM end time...seems a bit off.

As an aside, I say after this storm PA and NJ should be separated. Different climates it seems and I don't like hearing about all their good observations. :P

It looks like I'm probably at 6.5" or so myself. Winds have been under-performing compared to what I expected. I drove to William Tennent to go sledding but it turns out that area of the school is closed off for construction. Road conditions were really poor even on County Line Rd. I'm surprised considering how little accumulation we've seen.

EDIT: Just went outside to measure and actually came up with 6.8". Better than I expected.

It looks like I'm probably at 6.5" or so myself. Winds have been under-performing compared to what I expected. I drove to William Tennent to go sledding but it turns out that area of the school is closed off for construction. Road conditions were really poor even on County Line Rd. I'm surprised considering how little accumulation we've seen.

EDIT: Just went outside to measure and actually came up with 6.8". Better than I expected.

Yeah, my road is a snow emergency route which is usually very well taken care of but it's awful now. I guess they plan on doing their plowing when its mostly finished snowing (though the winds may cause drifts afterwards anyway).

The radar shows that the mega-band in NJ is beginning to subside, although thats not saying much since it was so intense before. Good to see the band over Montgomery/Bucks counties is still going strong. Looks like we may see another hour or two of relatively enhanced snowfall. Snowman.gif

BTW, Rib I went to EP from 99-01 and remember getting stuck at school until 6:30 one day in 6th grade because the busses couldn't move in the snow...fun times haha.

Yeah, my road is a snow emergency route which is usually very well taken care of but it's awful now. I guess they plan on doing their plowing when its mostly finished snowing (though the winds may cause drifts afterwards anyway).

The radar shows that the mega-band in NJ is beginning to subside, although thats not saying much since it was so intense before. Good to see the band over Montgomery/Bucks counties is still going strong. Looks like we may see another hour or two of relatively enhanced snowfall. Snowman.gif

BTW, Rib I went to EP from 99-01 and remember getting stuck at school until 6:30 one day in 6th grade because the busses couldn't move in the snow...fun times haha.

Feb 5 2001. Some Cedarbrook kids had to stay all night. Us Chelt HS kids got out first so we got home early.

unofficial official iCeBerg observation

somewhere in SW middlesex cty NJ

Mod snow

freezing fog

winds out of the N @ 20-25mph with gusts to 35mph

temp in the low 20s, feels like 10f.

storm snowfall total: 14-16"

traffic on rte is SLOW

road is snowpacked

my BostonTerriers wont go outside. recommend keeping pets, young children, and the elderly indoors until system unwraps itself.

The roads were complete garbage even at 2 PM this afternoon and we had probably a couple inches. They were not treated. Not sure if the crews were hit by surprise or something. This thing hasn't moved much since earlier, and apparently Steve D says a 500mb low is forming over the surface low, leading to a full stall. Not sure if he's right or not, I'm not educated enough. :arrowhead: If that is the case though I think it drifts west a bit.

Archived