Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE/NE MD OBS Thread for current 12/26 snowstorm

hurricaneschwartz

Woodbury NJ, just SSE of PHL

As of 1/2 hour ago I came up with average of 7.6"...seems whenever there is a significant snow (6"+) my measurements start to fall behind others nearby...not sure if this is a quirk of the topography and I lose all the snow to blowing...anyway, margin of error...i would say we have at least 6.5"....maybe as high as 9" ...still snowing moderate to heavy at times...vis up from the heaviest snow though.

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That gradient over my county (Somerset) is just insane. 20+ inches in the southeastern part of the county to about 11 inches or so in the northwestern part.

BTW just curious: any snow reports from Hunterdon County, NJ?

I have maybe 12-14 in Belle Mead, hard really to pinpoint so yeah relatively speaking alot of Somerset County is on the low end of the big totals that are just to the east of them toward Franklin, New Brunswick, Edison and of course the sweet spot in Monmouth/Ocean

Well don't go to Trenton, at least if you hear I'm in town. I'm the anti-snow, it seems :axe: Only 8.7" here thru midnight...

I just dont get it, Im in bordentown a stones throw from ewing/ttn and I was just outside in the snow, no way its just 9 inches by me. It was knee high in alot of spots, now i didnt officially measure anything but just eye balling it 9 seems low. Even some spotters reported totals from crosswicks to the NWS and my totals seem consistent with those.

Difficult to get an accurate measurement with all the wind, but I'm going to guess we have somewhere between 8-10 inches here in NW New Jersey (Vernon). Not nearly as bad as it is east of here, but nothing to scoff at either.

Current Conditions:

Freezing Fog/Snow

19 F

Windchill 4 F

Highest Wind Gust 32 MPH so far

Impressively cold temps and windchills with this storm too.

I just dont get it, Im in bordentown a stones throw from ewing/ttn and I was just outside in the snow, no way its just 9 inches by me. It was knee high in alot of spots, now i didnt officially measure anything but just eye balling it 9 seems low. Even some spotters reported totals from crosswicks to the NWS and my totals seem consistent with those.

It varies a lot here too, some places near a foot and some places bare, but average is 8-9 on the ground. Looking at the radar all day makes me think you probably do have significantly more, you guys got much more into the megaband than I ever did.

I have maybe 12-14 in Belle Mead, hard really to pinpoint so yeah relatively speaking alot of Somerset County is on the low end of the big totals that are just to the east of them toward Franklin, New Brunswick, Edison and of course the sweet spot in Monmouth/Ocean

Wow, 12-14? You sure you're measuring in an accurate spot? I'm only a few miles north of you and I only measured about 9 inches or so about an hour ago.

It makes sense when you consider how the radar looked much of the day. Even the forecast map has 20" at the northern tip of Burlington County. The gradient is crazy with this storm. The precip shield was so narrow.

Down here things have tapered off to flurries. Looks like there's one more band to the west of us that might move over when it pulls out.

It varies a lot here too, some places near a foot and some places bare, but average is 8-9 on the ground. Looking at the radar all day makes me think you probably do have significantly more, you guys got much more into the megaband than I ever did.

You must have missed it by mere miles, cause i know i was on the western edge of those bands, but I'm sittin in a foot plus easy. Looks to be drying out on the radar though. You think thats end of the heavy stuff?

You must have missed it by mere miles, cause i know i was on the western edge of those bands, but I'm sittin in a foot plus easy. Looks to be drying out on the radar though. You think thats end of the heavy stuff?

I hope not, I'd like that band over NE NJ to pivot down to me... but I have my doubts.

impressive that we have been getting most of our snow down here by PHL on a NW wind...

When you see Reno get dumped on by Sierra spill over (descent of around 5,000 feet over a much shorter distance than from PHL to the Pocs), what is happening at PHL is nothing by comparison ;)

Midnight, Cape May. Light snow with blowing snow, 13.6" total, 24°, D.P. 23°, R.H. 97%, bar. 29.37" falling slightly, wind WNW18G34mph with the peak gust WNW 52mph@11:10pm. Mt. Holly has 18.0" of snow listed for Cape May-Harbor. To me that seems high, but....The Cape May Harbor is about 4 miles east of me. Perhaps a band went through there but just missed me. Thought I'd mention it. I'm lovin' it no matter what!!

Ray... On Mt Hollys storm report list at 1035 pm it lists 11.5 for Ewing . You think that person measuring in a drift?

Absolutely. I can't find anywhere around here that high except drifts or places downwind of structures where most of the snow blew off the roof. Southside of my parents house has over 10" (probably 11" by now).

Aberdeen, northwest monmouth. Took 3 diff measurements in yard far away from any structures. Range from 20-24"

Yeah I'm a bit west of you, but I actually measured 23 inches in many places in my yard too, but did not include those. But i guess if you took the avg of my official reading of 17 inches and those lawn readings, perhaps you can say we have 20 inches here in Marlboro as of 11:30pm. Not complaining either way though. :thumbsup:

Archived