joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE/NE MD OBS Thread for current 12/26 snowstorm

hurricaneschwartz

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i hate to be "that guy" but do u have pics?

I'm really only a few miles from you and barely have 8", last I heard CC was around 9-10".

No pics. Measured in a protected spot, 10 measurements averaged out. What exactly would the purpose be of lying?

12:40am: Looks to be 10-11" here in Elkins Park (5mi NNE of center city).

Currently there is a lull here, but as the system crawls east, it will continue to send bands of moderate/occasionally heavy snow through the Philly region. Some places west of the city (Delaware county) could still pick up another 2" from the ongoing band.

Helluva storm to track and observe. A real treat for a la nina winter! Snowman.gif

No pics. Measured in a protected spot, 10 measurements averaged out. What exactly would the purpose be of lying?

I don't know what the purpose would be but that ob seems off. Can anyone else for NE Philly confirm or deny?

I know I've been in a snowhole lately, but I didn't think I've missed 5" worth already...

Would a protected spot mean one where snow could blow off of a nearby roof? :whistle:

I find myself wondering if many people make that mistake...

I have no idea how anyone can measure this storm. I have my van parked on the street next to a large vacant lot and this is the first storm that I don't have to worry about getting a ticket for snow on the roof because their ain't any !! :P

I don't know what the purpose would be but that ob seems off. Can anyone else for NE Philly confirm or deny?

I know I've been in a snowhole lately, but I didn't think I've missed 5" worth already...

10-11" observed in Elkins Park...seems to me your measurement may be the one that's off...

Protected meaning not subject to the wind as best I could determine.

I think it's very tough to get a solid measurement with this wind, but in the best spot, one that I've used in the past, that's what I got. Take it, as with all these other measurements I suppose, for what it's worth.

another storm where we'll wait hours after the last accumulating flake to get our storm total official ob from PHL???? Airport is probably cashing in from the bizzaro band as it seemed to pivot favorably.

Suggestion...Philly is a sizable media market...and the "airport" obs is usually taken as the official total for the city and thus the subject of media interest. Could, possibly, local media chip in to hire a second observer or an additional observer for special events...this person to be trained by NWS and follow standard observer procedures but paid by the local media to get those overnight obs recorded.

I don't know what the purpose would be but that ob seems off.  Can anyone else for NE Philly confirm or deny?

I live in Rhawnhurst and can neither cofirm or deny any measurement. The middle part of my front lawn is bare with drifts on either side.

My side of the street the snow is up to the car bumpers, the other side of the street hardly any snow around the car tires. I'm not sure how

I could even get an accurate measurement. It does look beautiful though.

10-11" observed in Elkins Park...seems to me your measurement may be the one that's off...

I think it's very tough to get a solid measurement with this wind, but in the best spot, one that I've used in the past, that's what I got. Take it, as with all these other measurements I suppose, for what it's worth.

I even rounded up with my 8.1", even in the drift up to my deck I couldn't find more than 10".

of course, it's not snowing here right now anymore. are you far west in NE Philly? like closer to Cheltenham?

I have no idea how anyone can measure this storm. I have my van parked on the street next to a large vacant lot and this is the first storm that I don't have to worry about getting a ticket for snow on the roof because their ain't any !! :P

Its not easy, and an urban area might as well be off-limits to real snow observations... they'd be almost doubled by everything coming off the rooftops :lol:

My obs have probably been affected at least a bit by roof blowoff, though nothing like that other guy from Ewing it would seem :lol: That being said, what I'm reporting is a lot lower than what can be found on the south side of my parents house, where its now over a foot.

Heaviest snow of the night here in the coal region. While not comparable some other obs, visibility is about a half mile with moderate snow. A rough guess is we ticked up to about 3 inches for the storm now. I'm not doing any "official" measurements because I have a small yard and no sheltered area, so it would be wind skewed and inaccurate.

Wow, 12-14? You sure you're measuring in an accurate spot? I'm only a few miles north of you and I only measured about 9 inches or so about an hour ago.

yeah but remember Im a bit more south and east, it looks like within the county a wide variation..headed out snowplowing now and Ive heard less in Bridgewater/Somerville than Hillsborough area.

Archived