joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE/NE MD OBS Thread for current 12/26 snowstorm

hurricaneschwartz

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For what it's worth, about 3-4 inches was the final tally in Tamaqua. We got our heaviest snow from about 11:00PM to 2:00AM, which was only moderate, but it was enough to get us to the low end of the NWS forecast range for the area.

nice to see your area got some snow eventually. Looked grim for an extended time period

...PHILADELPHIA COUNTY...

PHILADELPHIA 12.4 802 AM 12/27

Philly makes a foot...its a good winter here now no matter what.

11.7 here in Woodbury NJ

yea..the airport got into another great band of snow last night. very rare to get a 12 inche storm at any location in the Mt holly forecast area.

amazing how the airport has been finding these decent snow bands the past few years.

Rare?? well i guess until the last decade.......kind of commonplace now in the Mt Holly area...don't ya think?

yea..the airport got into another great band of snow last night. very rare to get a 12 inche storm at any location in the Mt holly forecast area.

amazing how the airport has been finding these decent snow bands the past few years.

If I heard correctly, a year or two ago official measurements for PHL airport were moved to National Park, NJ just across from PHL on the east bank of the Delaware River. At that time, they said this was done to avoid having temps skewed by the amount of tarmac at PHL. Now I'm wondering if the snow depths were effected by using the east shore vs. west shore of the Delaware River.

If I heard correctly, a year or two ago official measurements for PHL airport were moved to National Park, NJ just across from PHL on the east bank of the Delaware River. At that time, they said this was done to avoid having temps skewed by the amount of tarmac at PHL. Now I'm wondering if the snow depths were effected by using the east shore vs. west shore of the Delaware River.

i I believe the reason it was moved was because Noaa could not get a reliable person to take snow measurements or a decent location at the airport.

Previous I recall it was on the roof of a building.

Also...there was nobody closer to the airport grounds itself that was willing to do the job. My brother in law lives in National Park...the joke there is that they have skidmarks on the roof from the landing gear of aircraft landing at PHL...NP is closer to PHL property than most of the area within the city limits is.

Impossible to tell how much I got here. I know it wasn't anywhere near 6 inches. Probably only a few inches. However the ground blizzards today are pretty wicked here. I can only imagine what it would be like with 1-2 feet of snow on the ground.

Definitely will be taking a walk with my muzzleloader later today. :thumbsup:

Also...there was nobody closer to the airport grounds itself that was willing to do the job. My brother in law lives in National Park...the joke there is that they have skidmarks on the roof from the landing gear of aircraft landing at PHL...NP is closer to PHL property than most of the area within the city limits is.

Yep.

IMO, it would be great if the city were keeping official weather records at Fairmount Park within the city so there would be a more "representative" snowfall of the city. The city's snowfall totals haven't been officially the city's since 2008. I don't fault the observer for living in Nat Park...it's not her (I think it's a her still) fault...with that said, I don't think the city's "official" snowfall total should be measured in NJ. It would be like measuring the Central Park snowfall total at Hoboken or Union City, NJ.

DC is a different case since their airport is in VA to begin with. If PHL were located in, say, Glassboro it would make since for that total to be in Glassboro. ;)

Toms River, NJ---------Hard to measure but got an average of 31.5"... Best Snowstorm I have ever lived through.

I can buy that. I was out last night around 14" shoveling and what I did last night was all covered up this morning. So it basically doubled-I haven't gone outside yet to take a measurement yet, but living close to you(< 3 miles) that seems about accurate.

Yep.

IMO, it would be great if the city were keeping official weather records at Fairmount Park within the city so there would be a more "representative" snowfall of the city. The city's snowfall totals haven't been officially the city's since 2008. I don't fault the observer for living in Nat Park...it's not her (I think it's a her still) fault...with that said, I don't think the city's "official" snowfall total should be measured in NJ. It would be like measuring the Central Park snowfall total at Hoboken or Union City, NJ.

DC is a different case since their airport is in VA to begin with. If PHL were located in, say, Glassboro it would make since for that total to be in Glassboro. ;)

I agree. Even if it were at the airport proper, I don't think it makes sense. For Philadelphia to have 1 report for the entire county is also silly -- ideally there would be measurements recorded and reported at PHL (South), Chestnut Hill, downtown/Fairmount Park and in the NE -- much as NYC has Central Park and the two airports.

Archived