joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE/NE MD OBS Thread for current 12/26 snowstorm

hurricaneschwartz

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, my road is a snow emergency route which is usually very well taken care of but it's awful now. I guess they plan on doing their plowing when its mostly finished snowing (though the winds may cause drifts afterwards anyway).

The radar shows that the mega-band in NJ is beginning to subside, although thats not saying much since it was so intense before. Good to see the band over Montgomery/Bucks counties is still going strong. Looks like we may see another hour or two of relatively enhanced snowfall. Snowman.gif

BTW, Rib I went to EP from 99-01 and remember getting stuck at school until 6:30 one day in 6th grade because the busses couldn't move in the snow...fun times haha.

It looks like we have a real nice band setting up just to the WSW...would love to see that thing move our way & pivot over Eastern Montco.

My grandmother lives a few doors away from Myers Elem School. Did you go there too? :scooter:

The roads were complete garbage even at 2 PM this afternoon and we had probably a couple inches. They were not treated. Not sure if the crews were hit by surprise or something. This thing hasn't moved much since earlier, and apparently Steve D says a 500mb low is forming over the surface low, leading to a full stall. Not sure if he's right or not, I'm not educated enough. :arrowhead: If that is the case though I think it drifts west a bit.

I don't see it stalling, but the :weenie: in me hopes he's right. Usually Upper Moreland is real proactive with the brine solution on all the roads. They didn't bother this time...I have to wonder if the Christmas holiday had something to do with that, or if they cut it from the budget?

It looks like we have a real nice band setting up just to the WSW...would love to see that thing move our way & pivot over Eastern Montco.

My grandmother lives a few doors away from Myers Elem School. Did you go there too? :scooter:

Yeah, that looks like a decent band beginning to form. Looking closely at the KDIX radar, I can see a yellow pixel showing up right near me. The weenie in me is really coming out (and don't take that wrong) laugh.gif Good to see the band is at least holding its own, if not intensifying.

And no, I went to Wyncote, even though I was closer to Myers haha.

Its very difficult to get a real accurate gauge because the wind is insane but I'd have to say we're getting on near 5 or so inches. It has really picked up in intensity over the past 90 minutes finally after snowing very lightly the prior 8 hour. Broomall may be a couple of inches better than me but Rehobeth got hit nicely. I think I may actually be able to squeeze out 10 as modeling is showing this thing potentially stalling out a bit....hope it does.

How much there? I was raised in New Castle--sister lives in Broomall, PA now and Mom is near Rehobeth. She's got a foot or so.

Yeah, that looks like a decent band beginning to form. Looking closely at the KDIX radar, I can see a yellow pixel showing up right near me. The weenie in me is really coming out (and don't take that wrong) laugh.gif Good to see the band is at least holding its own, if not intensifying.

And no, I went to Wyncote, even though I was closer to Myers haha.

I went there :thumbsup:

This band is saving Philly from busting.

915pm update on NOAA:

Hazardous weather condition(s):

Overnight: Snow and widespread blowing snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 20. Windy, with a north wind between 26 and 28 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of 13 to 19 inches possible.

WOW! Just stepped outside for another measurement...looks like we're nearing 9" in Elkins Park! I have been measuring on the same flat surface which is shielded from a lot of the wind. Just an hour ago I measured less than 7" Heaviest snow I have seen this event so far!!! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

The little band that is over Bucks, PHL, extending down to the Delaware Bay appears to be eroding a little at the northern edge, so for me at least I think things will wind down soon (at least from this band).

Archived