Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE/NE MD OBS Thread for current 12/26 snowstorm

hurricaneschwartz

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you for that handy chart! It's good for perspective. :thumbsup:

What an insane storm to try to measure in. Even the 1996 blizzard winds had pretty much died down once the clouds broke and sun started to come out. I was looking at previous posts here about the band that set up through Montco down into the city and was shocked to find that it apparently came through here too in Chestnut Hill/Wyndmoor, PA area. Just saw a 3-truck plow train go past finally (2 salt trucks w/plows + 1 trash truck with plow) - sortof too little too late since there were salt-melted single lanes already.

Got an average of different spots that were somewhat protected and not drifted away and confirmed with sis who lives about 2 miles away who measures off a marble table in a protected spot on her deck .

OBS - 13"

Temp is 23.4F

Right now, the winds are still blowing something fierce with some significant gusts. If this had been a wetter snow, there'd be branches down everywhere.

Final official total for Philly - 12.4"

That seems wrong to me. PHL reported 11.8 at 1 am. That deform band sat over the airport for another 2-2.5 hours and all they picked up was another .6"? I was expecting the city to come in closer to 14".

In either event, that deform band was the main show with this storm in SE PA. It was some of the heaviest snow and wind I've seen in a very long time - and that's counting all the mega snows of last winter.

That seems wrong to me. PHL reported 11.8 at 1 am. That deform band sat over the airport for another 2-2.5 hours and all they picked up was another .6"? I was expecting the city to come in closer to 14".

In either event, that deform band was the main show with this storm in SE PA. It was some of the heaviest snow and wind I've seen in a very long time - and that's counting all the mega snows of last winter.

What is wierd is and i know i am gonna get flamed for it, is i was behind the airport by 1.5 inches before that band came through. I did expect them to be up to 14 or more by the end. I am sure they might have just missed part of that band that came through Delco as i wound-up with 14.5 inches total very shocked to say the least. But 12.4 sounds totally wrong. Also i am shocked that John jrodd came in with 9 that also doesnt sound right with the band that came through which semi-pounded us here in DELCO.

What is wierd is and i know i am gonna get flamed for it, is i was behind the airport by 1.5 inches before that band came through. I did expect them to be up to 14 or more by the end. I am sure they might have just missed part of that band that came through Delco as i wound-up with 14.5 inches total very shocked to say the least. But 12.4 sounds totally wrong. Also i am shocked that John jrodd came in with 9 that also doesnt sound right with the band that came through which semi-pounded us here in DELCO.

Dude why do you even question our area. You know our history. Highest measurement I could find was 9.5" with most of the readings between 8.5 and 9. Oh well, seems like that band was just east of me and hit you guys in S delco.

Since you've moved to delco you seem to have the sweetest spot ever down there with every fooking storm.

Dude why do you even question our area. You know our history. Highest measurement I could find was 9.5" with most of the readings between 8.5 and 9. Oh well, seems like that band was just east of me and hit you guys in S delco.

Wasnt trying to sound like an ass and you know me and if you hop on to chat we can talk on a real level its hard here. Wierd though how that band just did the dance around you but still setup over me and in between you and the airport.

Since you've moved to delco you seem to have the sweetest spot ever down there with every fooking storm.

Mt. Brookhaven looms large over the Airport/National Park, NJ and has its own orographic enhancement from the dump that is Chester. ;)

I'm curious to know what mattinpa, slam22, jct, and parsley picked up.

It seems everyone in the vicinity (you, RedSky, Chesco, iceman56, etc.) measured 7". I got 6.5" average measurement (ranging from bare ground to 3 foot drifts) in Spring Mount, PA...so fairly consistent with measurements in the vicinity.

I'd guesstimate about 7"-8" in Lansdale. It's just so tough to measure. In some spots, the wind has stripped the snow down to the grass. In another spot, I have a nice 16" drift. That band that came through after 8:30 really saved the day. As much I was would have loved to receive 20+ inches of snow, I don't mind missing out on the jackpot when it comes time to shovel.

Archived