joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE/NE MD OBS Thread for current 12/26 snowstorm

hurricaneschwartz

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still nothing more than light snow here. The grass isn't even entirely covered. I know it's only been snowing for about 3-4 hours, but being in the immediate NW burbs of Philly, this is turning out to be quite disappointing. The official NWS call is for 8-12, I'm in Glenn's bubble of 10-20. I just don't see how we'll get more than 8 inches.....hopefully I'm wrong. We'll see.

<br />What I would not give for the heavy precip to move 20 miles west. Sitting here in Wilmington DE and getting fairly moderate snow but at the far west edge of the heavy stuff. Hoping that as the low bombs and comes up the coast it hooks back in a bit.<br /><br />That said I probably have 2" down now.<br />

I am in New Castle County also right now, I think our chance to get in a good band is in the next 3 hours as the low gets a little closer. Hoping to get in one and get a quick 2-4 inches.

The snowfall gradient E-W from the NJ Shore to the W burbs of PHL is going to be sick. I have a real bad feeling that NE DE is going to be on the outsde looking in at the real heavy stuff all day long. Really need that low to crank fast and somehow manage to pull in closer to the coast a bit. I am sooooo close to that deform band over SNJ.

Yeah we're in Glenn's 10-20 band barely but I think that if things don't shift ever so west here shortly then we're going to come up short. Still can't complain if we get 8" or so but man are we close here.

I am in New Castle County also right now, I think our chance to get in a good band is in the next 3 hours as the low gets a little closer. Hoping to get in one and get a quick 2-4 inches.

Cannot call a bust...this was a brutally tough forecast from the start. I do not envy the job of a professional MET. Thanks to all including Hurricane! I can't ever remember a storm that had more twists and turns. Actually snowing as hard as it has to this point here in NW Chester county will go out for an update at 430 but likely near 1.5" here so far. I still see bands rotating west bound out here into the NW burbs so may still squeak out a couple more inches

Paul C

www.chescowx.com

Glen now says 6-12. See, I told you. I'm a newb who knows very little, and I said that before Glen did. Props to me, I guess.

What a disappointment. Even if we get 6-12, I'm calling bust for my area.

6-12 is fine - can't get huge storms every time. I'm just glad we're getting a noreaster in this moderate-strong Nina. Radar looks to be filling in, so we should be in the snow for a while. I have 1-1.5" in Trappe.

Cannot call a bust...this was a brutally tough forecast from the start. I do not envy the job of a professional MET. Thanks to all including Hurricane! I can't ever remember a storm that had more twists and turns. Actually snowing as hard as it has to this point here in NW Chester county will go out for an update at 430 but likely near 1.5" here so far. I still see bands rotating west bound out here into the NW burbs so may still squeak out a couple more inches

Paul C

www.chescowx.com

No, I wouldn't either. I'm calling for 6"-12" in the LV....that doesn't look likely at this time. Really tough forecast. Models pretty much sucked the entire time. Congrats to Jersey and NYC

Still only a dusting here...very light snow falling.

27F with the winds picking up

Paul C

www.chescowx.com

I'm in no way criticizing Glenn or calling his forecast specifically a bust. In fact, much respect to Glenn as he's been a true professional throughout - especially by going the extra mile with those extra videos explaining the situation. I'm just saying that it's been a real rollercoaster ride throughout, and when it finally looked like being one of the best rides of the amusement park and it only turns out to be equivalent to the average log flume, it's going to seem somewhat disappointing, isn't it?

The position of the 850mb low and it's orientation is a problem. Everything is too elongated, and not cutting off soon enough aloft to get that curvature needed to bring the heavy snow westward. This is going to be an amazing snow gradient.

Glenn

Glenn, when are you expecting the heaviest snow for the philly metro area? it looks like we might get into a heavy period later this evening when this think cranks a lil more off the coast.

Glenn, when are you expecting the heaviest snow for the philly metro area? it looks like we might get into a heavy period later this evening when this think cranks a lil more off the coast.

yes, the peak is this evening between 7 and 10. If we don't get a big dump by then, the arrows will start.

Glenn

Archived