• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Observations for the Christmas Storm II

Isopycnic

Just had almost a trace of drizzle about 20 minutes ago. Very discouraging. Huge void in the precipitation had been over us all day. 2 ½ hours to go -- still looking for that white Christmas.

I feel your pain. :( I've been in that same hole as you, just on the north side. Returns right on the Wilson-Nash County line but just wouldn't make their way into the county. Wilson, Johnston and Wayne counties must still have the snow shields activated.

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GSP still giving you 3-5" tonight. Took me down to 2-4.. But I like the banding setting up. + being on the se side of the county helps me out.

Now I'm shocked...never thought I'd see your area pass mine in the snow dept. But congrats, the radar just keeps opening up here wide. Actually just looked out and its snowing at a decent clip now, maybe the best so far. The radar is looking better suddenly, but its too late to get anything major here, but I could see a couple if I'm lucky.

Now I'm shocked...never thought I'd see your area pass mine in the snow dept. But congrats, the radar just keeps opening up here wide. Actually just looked out and its snowing at a decent clip now, maybe the best so far. The radar is looking better suddenly, but its too late to get anything major here, but I could see a couple if I'm lucky.

Hey foothills I was just looking at radar and it looks like the precip shield may be beginning to pivot as the backside looks to have slowed down a bit in N.Georgia. However it may be a little too late for us. Still can't ask for much more for Christmas in the snow department.

These won't be the most scientific observations in the world, but...I just drove back to Durham from near Huntersville, NC (across the street from Lake Norman near NC 73). We left about 6:30 to try and "beat the cold air"...little did I know that the temp had crashed between 4 and 6:30, and the temperature readout on the car's trip computer read 32.

NC 73 to I-85 wasn't bad, but the further north and east we got along I-85 toward Greensboro, the more snow was sticking. The worst area driving-wise was probably I-85 around Greensboro proper...full ground coverage on the snow from what I could see (I'd guesstimate minimum 1" and probably more), sticking to the hard shoulder, and sticking sporadically on the travel lanes. Did see one wreck going the other way on 85 just west of Greensboro near US 311/I-74.

Once we got past Greensboro, the snow didn't slack up, and the temperature readout stayed on 32, but there was much less ground coverage and no snow on the road at all--snow stopped sticking to the pavement abruptly around the Burlington/Alamance area. There isn't anything stuck to our little side street here in the Bull City, with about 1/2" in the yard and moderate snow still coming down. Driving is no problem here right now, but for the Triad and parts west and south toward Hickory and Charlotte, stay home.

From the other thread

LOL it's really amazing how often he gets more than anyone most of the time. He is one lucky weenie :lol:

Coming down nicely here, working on having an inch. I'm hoping for two based on the radar but we'll see. I'm getting helped out a bunch by the fact I'm 31.5 right now. For some reason there is a pocket of sub 32 temps around these parts. I'm not complaining.

Nice to see so many stations reporting snow. One of my favorite parts is seeing the hourly reports. It just seem so strange and special when you see Athens and snow, or atlanta and snow, or whatever town is on the list.

Btw, even columbus is reporting snow this hour. I'm having a brainfart right now and can't remember his name but the met down there has to be happy.

Glad you didn't get totally shafted on this one. I know what you mean about the hourly obs. I have a weather folder in my office with the hourly obs printed off for each hour of the blizzard of 93 for GA. LOL. Sign of a true Weenie.

Pics I just snapped. Sorry about the lighting, my camera flash broken: I have about half an inch. It just picked up a little Temps still 32.2 and slow melting going on (the truck is completely wet now, not any white anywhere I don't think)

Bummed you got stiffed on the QPF....again....but at least you can claim a white christmas.

Some of the biggest flakes of the day! Trying to scratch out 2".

Talk about a save. Things looked grim for you most of the day and you may end up with as much as me and it snowed at my house all day long.:arrowhead:

Hey foothills I was just looking at radar and it looks like the precip shield may be beginning to pivot as the backside looks to have slowed down a bit in N.Georgia. However it may be a little too late for us. Still can't ask for much more for Christmas in the snow department.

What are your thoughts? It's coming down great here in south CLT...hard to believe if this last into the morning we would get less than 4.

Is this banding going to drift east and get places like Burlington and Chapel Hill in on the action?

Looks like we are doing okay for the next hour or so. The banding looks to be heading NE. I'm really liking the radar explosion down in southern GA. When that gets here, we should get some good snow.

1.5 inches here in Kingsport, TN. Picked up 3/4 of an inch from the piece of energy diving from the northwest. Looks like that might be it until the last band dives through. 36 hours of upslope on the way - Kingsport does terrible in those events. The mountains, on the other hand, are going to get creamed. Not bad for a Christmas day. This should put KTRI at 5 inches or more for December. That's a very good December at KTRI in regards to the last 20 years, or just any decade at that.

From the other thread

LOL it's really amazing how often he gets more than anyone most of the time. He is one lucky weenie :lol:

Coming down nicely here, working on having an inch. I'm hoping for two based on the radar but we'll see. I'm getting helped out a bunch by the fact I'm 31.5 right now. For some reason there is a pocket of sub 32 temps around these parts. I'm not complaining.

Nice to see so many stations reporting snow. One of my favorite parts is seeing the hourly reports. It just seem so strange and special when you see Athens and snow, or atlanta and snow, or whatever town is on the list.

Btw, even columbus is reporting snow this hour. I'm having a brainfart right now and can't remember his name but the met down there has to be happy.

lol - all depends on the set up. yall had a long period of all that upslope snow while i was pretty much watching from afar :scooter: this has been a great set up and the heavier bands of precip moved just through the southern part of my county, so i really lucked out :thumbsup: i am glad to see all the snow reports!!

What do you think about the deformation band setting up along I-85, Brandon?

Looks good. The 850 low is continuing to strengthen and this band will become better organized and rotate up through NC. RUC composite show's it well and the course it will likely take. Best thing to do it just plot 100 miles west to northwest of the 850 low, and that's where the band will be.

Archived