• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Observations for the Christmas Storm II

Isopycnic

It still is coming down pretty good... but not quite as heavily as before. There are still a few huge flakes mixed in, and it appears another strong band is stringing in. Accumulation wise, I am approaching 2.5".

Temp: 32.4 degrees... this pretty much hasn't budged since 8pm tonight.

Yep. Starting to let up here too. Energy is starting to shift away it looks like. I also have right around 2.5 on the ground. :)

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

11pm report northwest Chapel Hill: Light snow to snow. Temp 32.9. Dusting to 1/2" in spots.

I sure do hope to see some of the higher rates that have been reported in Greenville SC and up through the Charlotte area. I suspect I will later tonight. I don't see a whole lot of very cold air upstream at the surface and that has been a problem. Still there is some at or just below freezing so I suspect I will reach freezing at some point in the next few hours, had rather be at 20 with higher ratios though of course. :arrowhead:

Good on all y'all getting snow. So far...son, I am disappoint.

Nothing in Wilson since @ 7 p.m. when we had a few sprinkles. Hoping for the returns in the southern part of the state to move this way, but looks as if the bulk will pass just to my east.

I think I'm about to get off this roller coaster I've been riding all week following this storm. Perhaps things will improve and we get a nice snow here, but at the moment my confidence (and evidently the confidence of RAH, as they have continued to lower snow totals regularly all day) is waning.

Wow, just now checking in and startled to see that it is snowing where it likes to snow, and no go in other areas more flake challenged. I thought we all would win on this one. I made it to Washington, NC with little trouble. Nothing at all here. And I just cant see how we make out with more than a few wet flakes tonight but we'll see. Going to need some serious cold air infusion. We're stuck at 41-42.

Hey WeatherHeels, what do have back in Kvegas??

Right under 5". Still coming down at a good clip, very fine flakes.

Yep. Starting to let up here too. Energy is starting to shift away it looks like. I also have right around 2.5 on the ground. :)

Looks like I might have spoken too soon... really kicking back up right now... huge flakes again and heavier rate. I also want to mention that the roads are now getting covered... just slush, but place that people haven't driven in a while are now getting white.

Looks like I might have spoken too soon... really kicking back up right now... huge flakes again and heavier rate. I also want to mention that the roads are now getting covered... just slush, but place that people haven't driven in a while are now getting white.

Its almost to me, it keeps dying right before it gets here but hopefully it will get here soon!

11pm report northwest Chapel Hill: Light snow to snow. Temp 32.9. Dusting to 1/2" in spots.

I sure do hope to see some of the higher rates that have been reported in Greenville SC and up through the Charlotte area. I suspect I will later tonight. I don't see a whole lot of very cold air upstream at the surface and that has been a problem. Still there is some at or just below freezing so I suspect I will reach freezing at some point in the next few hours, had rather be at 20 with higher ratios though of course. :arrowhead:

Unfortunately there haven't been any high rates over my locale on the east side of Charlotte. The earlier expansive plume on the radar that looked so promising to pivot over us all night just has seemed to evaporate into thin air or split in half from the midlands of SC north to us. Typical I guess as the energy transfered to the coast. Doesn't seem like the RUC has handled that well.:thumbsdown:

Hopefully the coastal low can bomb for you guys - good luck!! :thumbsup:

Its almost to me, it keeps dying right before it gets here but hopefully it will get here soon!

Well you can we kinda got lucky... the deformation band is right over the upstate. Folks further to the east in between Columbia and Laurens are really getting screwed. Charlotte has been on the edge all night, but I think the deformation band will start to merge with the main batch of moisture that is now moving nearly due north from Charleston, SC, so Charlotte should get in on the action soon.

Here is a nice satellite loop, you can see the higher clouds right over where the heaviest precip returns are over Upstate SC.

ci72e.gif

Unfortunately there haven't been any high rates over my locale on the east side of Charlotte. The earlier expansive plume on the radar that looked so promising to pivot over us all night just has seemed to evaporate into thin air or split in half from the midlands of SC north to us. Typical I guess as the energy transfered to the coast. Doesn't seem like the RUC has handled that well.:thumbsdown:

Hopefully the coastal low can bomb for you guys - good luck!! :thumbsup:

Looks like it's trying to fill in. I'm in that gap and it hasn't really let up.

Well you can we kinda got lucky... the deformation band is right over the upstate. Folks further to the east in between Columbia and Laurens are really getting screwed. Charlotte has been on the edge all night, but I think the deformation band will start to merge with the main batch of moisture that is now moving nearly due north from Charleston, SC, so Charlotte should get in on the action soon.

Here is a nice satellite loop, you can see the higher clouds right over where the heaviest precip returns are over Upstate SC.

Actually where I'm at in CLT has been doing really well...however would love to get into that deformation band!

:(:angry: 37 deg and light rain :P

Wow you guys get depressed quick! In im N. Raleigh....precip has been steady and sticking but only about a .5 inch. The low is just getting going and is just now off FL/GA. It has a way to go and it is getting cranked up!!! Dont worry, the bands will be moving in tonight. What you read from folks in Augusta, Spartanburg and Charlotte have no bearing on what is about to happen. This storm is just starting!

We're in that little gap too and thus no snow.Although we have close to 2" just south of Asheboro.

Even if the totals are lower then earlier forecast,I consider myself fortunate to have a white christmas.

sitting in the lull down here in ramseur too. snow is melting off the trees and temp went up to 32.5. has yet to go below 32.4. hopefully it will drop when the next round of precip moves in.

Looks like it's trying to fill in. I'm in that gap and it hasn't really let up.

I'm still getting some very light flurries, but even with the moderate snow earlier I've only gotten a dusting on grassy surfaces, etc. But it's all good - seeing flakes fly on Christmas!:snowman: Just got my hopes up from what the RUC was showing earlier. Maybe it can fill in due north from that heavy swath approaching Cola. I'm not giving up yet! :weight_lift:

Wow you guys get depressed quick! In im N. Raleigh....precip has been steady and sticking but only about a .5 inch. The low is just getting going and is just now off FL/GA. It has a way to go and it is getting cranked up!!! Dont worry, the bands will be moving in tonight. What you read from folks in Augusta, Spartanburg and Charlotte have no bearing on what is about to happen. This storm is just starting!

You need to read the NWS RAH. Unless that low really wraps up, this thing is nowhere progged for what it was supposed to be in the Triangle.

sitting in the lull down here in ramseur too. snow is melting off the trees and temp went up to 32.5. has yet to go below 32.4. hopefully it will drop when the next round of precip moves in.

I'm sure it will.:weight_lift:I was actually not prepared for the bigger totals that were forecasted,so I'll take the 2-4 and be happy.

As for others that feel they were cheated by this storm,there's lots of winter left.:thumbsup:

Interesting, I'm right on the edge of that, depending on that low I might actually get lucky.

Yep looks like CLT and point east will get the rewards from the precip blowing up over SC. I think I'm just a little too far west, but it appears I have a decent band settling over me. Closing in on 2 inches now.

Archived