• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
May 20-21 Severe Threat

we all know this will be ef2 cause nws refuses to ever rate an ef5 ever agin

The fact the Mayfield, KY tornado was not rated EF5 still bugs me to this day. This was easily the most violent tornado we’ve seen in a long time

4 minutes ago, Gobucks15 said:

The fact the Mayfield, KY tornado was not rated EF5 still bugs me to this day. This was easily the most violent tornado we’ve seen in a long time

I agree with that statement. 2 sections of that damage path warranted EF5. The subdivision near the water (can’t remember if he exact location) featured numerous well built homes wiped clean.

Was a pretty intense night of storms.  Had a QLCS train over the area with three main cores hitting us. The third was the strongest. Giving us about a 10 minute period of 65+ mph winds with a few stretches of 70+.  Also heavy rain, the backyard is a lake now

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

Good call with @Chicago Storm for LOT. Straight garbage. Should have watered the garden tonight… 

Haha yeah I was out watering earlier when it was still thundering.  Probably looked crazy at the time but I knew we weren't gonna get squat at that point.

Most of the guidance had storms decaying well east of the MS river, but in reality they started shitting the bed way before that while still in east Iowa.

I agree with that statement. 2 sections of that damage path warranted EF5. The subdivision near the water (can’t remember if he exact location) featured numerous well built homes wiped clean.
Rolling Fork was right there too. Probably even closer than most realize to getting EF-5 ultimately.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

14 hours ago, WxSynopsisDavid said:

The Bremen area was ef5

• Like 1

13 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Haha yeah I was out watering earlier when it was still thundering.  Probably looked crazy at the time but I knew we weren't gonna get squat at that point.

Most of the guidance had storms decaying well east of the MS river, but in reality they started shitting the bed way before that while still in east Iowa.

It seems the whole system trended stronger and more north.

17 hours ago, WxSynopsisDavid said:

The “homes wiped clean” doesn’t seem like a reliable indicator of wind speed to me.  There are probably other details that determine where debris gets piled up vs scoured away.  It probably was EF5, but damage is already so complete at the high end of EF4 it’s hard to differentiate.  Beyond no walls left standing its kind of fuzzy what else to look for.  Weird stuff like picking pavement off the ground might not be apparent everywhere.

1 hour ago, andyhb said:

DOW finding winds well in excess of the EF5 threshold 44 m AGL while the tornado was in Greenfield.

Reading the abovd The Elie tornado comes to mind as a small in size but with upper end strength.

22 minutes ago, outflow said:

Reading the abovd The Elie tornado comes to mind as a small in size but with upper end strength.

The pressure gradient must have been insane for such a narrow tornado to have winds 200mph just 140 feet off the ground

Well last night's QLCS was a long night here. We got the initial tor-warned round through at about 8, that line didn't do too much damage. However, we got the straight-line winds from the SW from the 2nd round, and that did some damage around here. There are probably a few dozen fallen or snapped trees around the area from the wind, with some areas losing power as a result. If I had to guess we probably got 70+ winds, if not 80+ in the most exposed areas. Notably with the wind coming out of the SW, areas that would be relatively protected from our typical NWerly squall lines experienced the full brunt. Coupled with weakening from last years drought and EAB, no wonder we lost so many trees. Easily the most wind damage we have had here in almost a decade. The last time being the downburst on 7/13/15. After that round came through, some redevelopment occured and we had about 4-5 mins of quarter-sized hail. And while all of this was going on, we got at least 2" of rain. Combined with the rain from the MCV on Monday, some areas to the north of me have had 4-5" within the last two days. The Crawfish is up to bankfull now for the first time in at least a year if not longer. Been a very busy last two days here. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

Good call with @Chicago Storm for LOT. Straight garbage. Should have watered the garden tonight… 

15 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Yea, wasn't too much of a surprise in the end. ...But things did fade a bit faster than even thought going into it.

The combination of residual capping, lowering instability, and mixed out DP's really did it in.

• Like 1

The biggest excitement from my chase yesterday (didn't go far enough southwest to catch the tornadoes; thought storms would continue to produce further east at least most of the way across Iowa, SPC apparently did too; ended up on the storm which was tornado-warned near Corydon but it didn't look too impressive and the warning was dropped shortly after it got away from me over Eddyville) was when I was almost home. Multiple roads blocked/obstructed by downed power lines, trees (including a broken tree a block from my apartment building), and road construction signs/cones/barricades blown over and scattered in the travel lanes. Some neighborhoods were pitch-black with streetlights and even traffic lights out.

PXL_20240522_030926773-1024.thumb.jpg.190141bee8e735d63c2509c7b738f5ad.jpg

PXL_20240522_032625853-1024.thumb.jpg.2f3268a7debf9ea4768dc7c4375b4c3a.jpg

PXL_20240522_032635061-1024.thumb.jpg.2f7dfc453322b5db012b2c2d96a28184.jpg

PXL_20240522_080431969-1024.thumb.jpg.779a2ff6b518d84b62c229b6fdf21266.jpg