Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April Discobs 2024

George BM

51 minutes ago, snowfan said:
Is it me or do wind forecasts generally fall to low? My forecast started out with gusts to 25. I believe BWI maxed out w a gust of 38. Wind over performing seems to be quite common.

It was breezy here and part of the reason I chose to bike today over hoops. I think the wind helped dry out the Frederick watershed…streams are running high, but the trail itself was in better shape than I expected.

10 minutes ago, 87storms said:

It was breezy here and part of the reason I chose to bike today over hoops. I think the wind helped dry out the Frederick watershed…streams are running high, but the trail itself was in better shape than I expected.

I had a slightly different experience on my bike. I like to get out on the road and a 30+ crosswind gust is no bueno lol. 

I had a slightly different experience on my bike. I like to get out on the road and a 30+ crosswind gust is no bueno lol. 

Lol, I haven’t ventured into road biking yet, though I did have to fight some wind on one of the climbs today.
  • Like 1

NWS missed this one....Thunderstorm in Brunswick. Line sunk further south than forecasted and they never updated!  Some of us catch early trains!!!!

Overnight
Mostly cloudy early, then becoming mostly clear, with a low around 59. West wind around 6 mph.

Models including 6Z HRRR also missed this line completely.

• Like 1

LR doesn’t look very wet attm. My sandy soil yard is already dried up and hard after the recent rain. Might be time to fire up the drought thread. That said, 6-10, 8-14, and 3-4 week outlooks all show fair chances of below to normal temps. No big heat on the horizon. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Weather Will said:

NWS missed this one....Thunderstorm in Brunswick. Line sunk further south than forecasted and they never updated!  Some of us catch early trains!!!!

Overnight
Mostly cloudy early, then becoming mostly clear, with a low around 59. West wind around 6 mph.

Models including 6Z HRRR also missed this line completely.

Woke up to quite the light show from that one. Think it was around 3/4 am. I had a hunch that stuff up in PA last night might push south so we hauled the catio in before we went up last night. Glad I was correct as hauling that thing in that early in the am would not have been fun. 

• Like 1

Woke up to quite the light show from that one. Think it was around 3/4 am. I had a hunch that stuff up in PA last night might push south so we hauled the catio in before we went up last night. Glad I was correct as hauling that thing in that early in the am would not have been fun. 

There was some healthy thunder for a while…think it started around 2am.

1 hour ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

…I think I’m getting faint whiffs of a wildfire smell again?

I noticed a fire blow up on satellite and radar SE of Fredericksburg, VA yesterday afternoon. I wonder if that could be the source? 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, snowfan said:

LR doesn’t look very wet attm. My sandy soil yard is already dried up and hard after the recent rain. Might be time to fire up the drought thread. That said, 6-10, 8-14, and 3-4 week outlooks all show fair chances of below to normal temps. No big heat on the horizon. 

Soil has gotten dry here too. The seasonal wetland is shrinking some, so I can't complain about that.

2 hours ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

…I think I’m getting faint whiffs of a wildfire smell again?

Now that you bring that up -- I've been reading that Canada had a very warm and dry winter and some think that 2024 could be even a worse wildfire season than last year :stun:

As much as we love those cool, low humidity days after summer cold fronts, I'd rather take the big heat that comes with a SW flow if there are big fires burning up there

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, George BM said:

I noticed a fire blow up on satellite and radar SE of Fredericksburg, VA yesterday afternoon. I wonder if that could be the source? 

That might be it, the AirNow map has a small, darker area from southeast of Fredericksburg into King George and Charles, with some yellows (everywhere surrounding it is green). I’m not smelling it anymore now at least.

1 hour ago, BlizzardNole said:

Now that you bring that up -- I've been reading that Canada had a very warm and dry winter and some think that 2024 could be even a worse wildfire season than last year :stun:

As much as we love those cool, low humidity days after summer cold fronts, I'd rather take the big heat that comes with a SW flow if there are big fires burning up there

Rooting for a NW flow around here is suspect.  It's probably my least favorite type of weather pattern...typically leads to dry and/or cloudy and/or breezy and/or wildfires.  I'd rather live in the desert (southwest is on my radar) where that kind of weather just makes sense.  Around here, this area is lush...or supposed to be.  We need a dominant sw to easterly flow/storms/humidity with occasional frontal passages, not the other way around.