Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 8 Great American Eclipse forecast

DLMKA

Stationed near Franklin, IN.

As expected, have had high clouds this morning and afternoon here, varying between scattered to overcast at ~30,000KFT.

Looks like the thicker stuff should be out of the way in time for totality.

1 hour ago, SolidIcewx said:

Pretty crazy satellite imagery 

G16_sector_cgl_GEOCOLOR_24fr_20240408-1458.gif

Beat me to it. I was just getting ready to upload the same satellite view. I'm glad I stayed put and got to over 99.5%.

I understand that traffic is bonkers with people heading north from the path of totality in the southern part of the county. Gridlock.

Totally lucked out.    Blue sky with some wispy cirrus   Had 45 seconds of total where you could look without glasses.  It sounds obvious but it got much darker than I expected probably because I had only seen partial eclipses in the past and always expected those to be darker.  Crickets started chirping street lights came on and you could hear people cheering in the distance.   Bucket list checked without having to leave my yard.    :D   

Attachment.jpeg

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, buckeye said:

Totally lucked out.    Blue sky with some wispy cirrus   Had 45 seconds of total where you could look without glasses.  It sounds obvious but it got much darker than I expected probably because I had only seen partial eclipses in the past and always expected those to be darker.  Crickets started chirping street lights came on and you could hear people cheering in the distance.   Bucket list checked without having to leave my yard.    :D   

Attachment.jpeg

Same! Really indescribable and surreal.   

It worked out nicely here. I figured that I could not really avoid the cirrus clouds by driving a short distance or even a possibly long distance, so I stayed in town. The weird part is that the cirrus clouds were generally fine, but looked like dark storm clouds during totality.

eclipse 1.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Chinook said:

It worked out nicely here. I figured that I could not really avoid the cirrus clouds by driving a short distance or even a possibly long distance, so I stayed in town. The weird part is that the cirrus clouds were generally fine, but looked like dark storm clouds during totality.

eclipse 1.jpg

Yeah, I noticed that too. Kinda eerie.

The temperature drop near Stow, OH was noticeable. Really shows how something blocking the sun (Super volcanic eruptions, asteroid impacts) can really affect the temperature and fast. I was disappointed that it didn't get darker, and I disliked the douches blowing off fireworks.

3 hours ago, IWXwx said:

I understand that traffic is bonkers with people heading north from the path of totality in the southern part of the county. Gridlock.

I-74 from Indy to the IL state line is a parking lot.

44 minutes ago, Floydbuster said:

The temperature drop near Stow, OH was noticeable. Really shows how something blocking the sun (Super volcanic eruptions, asteroid impacts) can really affect the temperature and fast. I was disappointed that it didn't get darker, and I disliked the douches blowing off fireworks.

Yeah, I thought it would get darker too.  I mean, it was dark, the street lights came on.  But I thought the sky would go completely dark.  As soon as it went total you could already see the sky brightening off to the southwest.  I wonder if it would have been darker if the high clouds wouldn't have been around.

Just now, vpbob21 said:

Yeah, I thought it would get darker too.  I mean, it was dark, the street lights came on.  But I thought the sky would go completely dark.  As soon as it went total you could already see the sky brightening off to the southwest.  I wonder if it would have been darker if the high clouds wouldn't have been around.

That's what I wondered too. It really wasn't that dark.

1 hour ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Surprisingly pricy though.

Looks like everyone in the subforum has eaten there.  I live 4 miles away and haven't been (although I did eat there when it was a Perkins).

Was sweating the cirrus here in Cleveland but it was thin enough that you could see through them enough to see all the cool stuff. Had the 360 degree sunset effect on the horizons with the cirrus adding some color. Briefly saw a couple of planets. Bats came out, streetlights came on. It was about as dark as it is immediately when the sun sets I would say. Seeing the corona and some solar flares was awesome. The difference in the amount of light between a 99% eclipse and totality was impressive. As soon as even the smallest bit of the sun came out from behind the moon the light noticeably increased. Overall I'd say it exceeded my expectations. 

• Like 4