• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Christmas Storm VII

Cold Rain

Just another typical snowstorm here in mby. You could go 40 miles in any direction from my house and find 4+ inches of snow yet I only managed 1.5 inches that was mostly melted by 10am. I am really getting sick of this and to be honest and it's gotten to the point where I don't even wanna follow winter threats anymore because it just leads to disappointment.

I'm not asking for the bullseye. It would just be nice for once to not be in the epicenter of the storm minimum for the whole region.:axe:

how tied to the area are you? maybe consider a move to snowier climes?

• Replies 945
  • Created
  • Last Reply

how tied to the area are you? maybe consider a move to snowier climes?

My job experience is too specialized to be able to move where I want to. However, I do intend on packing up and chasing the next time there's going to be a huge snowstorm. I couldn't do that this time b/c of the family xmas obligations.

If anybody wants a good trip down memory lane, go back and read the first 4-5 pages of Christmas Storm III. That was fun.

Here's a question to anyone that still might be reading this thread: The huge, anomalous, once in a lifetime storm that the Euro was coming up with the other day....what was special about the way it was phasing the energy that resulted in a 967 low just of NE NC? The real storm is a result of a phase, but obviously it phased differently than what the Euro was depicting. Can anyone tell me what the difference is?

If anybody wants a good trip down memory lane, go back and read the first 4-5 pages of Christmas Storm III. That was fun.

Here's a question to anyone that still might be reading this thread: The huge, anomalous, once in a lifetime storm that the Euro was coming up with the other day....what was special about the way it was phasing the energy that resulted in a 967 low just of NE NC? The real storm is a result of a phase, but obviously it phased differently than what the Euro was depicting. Can anyone tell me what the difference is?

Those euro runs phased over the FLA panhandle, I don't think this phased until it was off chs

Thanks guys. So was it purely a matter of location of the phase then? In other words, the farther south a storm phases, the stronger it will be (or has the potential to be)? Or are their other elements to it? I guess the strength of the energy and the direction of it in each branch of the jet stream would play a role as well, but I don't know enough about phasing to know if that's true or not.

Had one last hurrah about 9:15 pm and I mean literally for about 5 minutes the snow came down the hardest I have ever seen, it was falling so fast and furious I thought I was in the middle of a thunderstorm in summer. I picked up a coating instantly with that burst of heavy snow. 0.3" total on cars, grassy surfaces and elevated objects. The ground is partially white after leaving work for the 2nd time today (had to go back in for a few hours).

Disappointed a little, but only because of the lack of ground accumulations. The snowfall rates at times were comparable to the Feb 2010 storm this year, it was just the ambient and ground temperature that really did me in otherwise the WSW I think would have verified for this region, and I can't fault KCHS for making the call they did last night. All the evidence in the world showed the potential and the snowfall rates were definitely there.

Overall, an amazing storm event and just missed it being on Christmas Day but still despite disappoint, I'm still happy with the hours of snow today.

I was very happy with the Christmas Snow! We got around 4 inches and a good bit of that suffered today from melting. To get ANY snow on Christmas is a blessing, in my book.

Hey there Sandy! I got 4" of snow myself. Very happy for this. I consider this BONUS sn, as my area NEVER gets snow this early in the season and on Christmas to boot!! :thumbsup: I hope everyone got some snow. Giving a shout out to Eyewall, as he messaged me earlier today and said that they were at 6" and counting. Good that the "fail zone barrier" was broken! :lightning::clap:

Had one last hurrah about 9:15 pm and I mean literally for about 5 minutes the snow came down the hardest I have ever seen, it was falling so fast and furious I thought I was in the middle of a thunderstorm in summer. I picked up a coating instantly with that burst of heavy snow. 0.3" total on cars, grassy surfaces and elevated objects. The ground is partially white after leaving work for the 2nd time today (had to go back in for a few hours).

Disappointed a little, but only because of the lack of ground accumulations. The snowfall rates at times were comparable to the Feb 2010 storm this year, it was just the ambient and ground temperature that really did me in otherwise the WSW I think would have verified for this region, and I can't fault KCHS for making the call they did last night. All the evidence in the world showed the potential and the snowfall rates were definitely there.

Overall, an amazing storm event and just missed it being on Christmas Day but still despite disappoint, I'm still happy with the hours of snow today.

And this was still another CHS/SAV snow event soon after a super low AO.

Thanks guys. So was it purely a matter of location of the phase then? In other words, the farther south a storm phases, the stronger it will be (or has the potential to be)? Or are their other elements to it? I guess the strength of the energy and the direction of it in each branch of the jet stream would play a role as well, but I don't know enough about phasing to know if that's true or not.

I think the reason a further south phase is good is because the storm still takes time to get going and to throw back moisture towards the west. The further south the phase is, the more time it has to start doing that before reaching your area.

Thank you Robert :hug: I had between 3 to 3.5" earlier(thanks to the awesome rates early this morning) and now there's about 1.5-2" left on the ground.

All I wanted for this winter was just a chance for some snow.....this far exceeded what I had expected :wub:

Waahoo! I told you after my year in Columbia I thought it snowed all the time, and I'm thinking after last year and this I must have been right, lol. Way to go.

Looks to me like more chances coming up pretty soon too. I just wish it could have been like today to get some precip falling. Frozen ground, frozen temps. I'm tried of what little snow I get leaving in a matter of hours. Hope we get some precip coming into pre-existing cold air for a change. I had a half inch of liquid go to waste. T

Waahoo! I told you after my year in Columbia I thought it snowed all the time, and I'm thinking after last year and this I must have been right, lol. Way to go.

Looks to me like more chances coming up pretty soon too. I just wish it could have been like today to get some precip falling. Frozen ground, frozen temps. I'm tried of what little snow I get leaving in a matter of hours. Hope we get some precip coming into pre-existing cold air for a change. I had a half inch of liquid go to waste. T

Yeah it's a damn shame the ground was so warm before hand, generally in the upper 40s to near 50. If we had a frozen ground, I'd be looking at 6 plus on the ground at least...possibly more. It snowed hard for most of the day yesterday but despite that, it was melting so fast from underneath that it was only slowly accumulating and at times I was just probably breaking even. That's disheartening.

I have quite a lot of snow on the ground still but of course bare areas are starting to increase and grow in size. It never ceases to amaze me how fast snow can melt in the south, even when it's cold outside. If we only had the ground temps we had last year (you know when some saw a half inch of snow last a week), man that would have been awesome. I don't expect all of it to melt today but most will be gone tomorrow, except maybe the most protected of spots.

Here is the accumulation map from ffc. It is nice to see the 4 inch amounts south of athens and along i-20. When there is winter weather in the north, These areas 99/100 times miss out just barely. I'm happy that those folks got to experience a good snow for a change. I'm somewhat surprised at there only being 3 to 4 southwest of athens, the most intense part of the snow band yesterday stayed over that area all day. Honestly, that area should have had 6 easy. Damn ground temps.

Once again though atlanta only receives an inch or two. So when someone like larry looks back on this storm, most will see atlanta's measly 1 or 2 inches and not give this storm the credit it deserves. As you can see, the heavier totals just skipped right over them..4 inches to the west and east of atlanta. It's somewhat surprising how hard it is to get a truly good snow in atlanta.

20101225_FinalSnowAccumulationMap.png

Also of note the good totals in north alabama. Some reports of 6 inches in hunstville.

snowfall_totals_small.png

:lol: This along with the Feb system, has made up for the snow drought Columbia has had for the past few years :wub: I wish it could stick around longer than a day.....there is only so much sledding,snowman building, and snowball fights you can do in a day...lol Believe me, I have done my best to pack as much winter fun into that one day that I possibly could....and now my old body is paying for it :lol::)

And here is a visible shot of our snow..note that north to south band east of athens.

This storm needs lots of credit and hats off to those who saw it coming! I am thinking my total is nearly 8 inches, measured 7 in a lot of areas and I am sure there was melt and a lot of it compacted. We are going to try to clear a path so we can get up and down our hill.

been one hectic weekend, and i got double snow here at home, and in athens yesterday :) i left here about when it stopped and followed it back down. amazing to see everything snow covered all the way, not a common site in ga. still a lot at my parents' house in athens, as well as here. temp is 32.4 so its melting, but slowly

unless we lose it all in the next few hours (unlikely i hope) then this will be another extended snow period for ne ga adding on to last winter's long-time snow on the ground. will be 4 days :snowman:

lookout - that map looks quite accurate. the most i ever measured that was on the ground was 5.5 or so, and between the 4 and 6 amounts so that should be about right. as for the warmer temps, yeah it would have been amazing to be two degrees colder. then all christmas morning would have seen accumulating snow, probably a good 8-10"

however, since i still got more than i really though, and it was christmas i will never complain of a 5" snowfall :scooter: esp since i got to see a lot more falling than actually stuck.

if you add up this event, and a couple last year with marginal temps, i would guess mby has actually had another 6-10" or so fall that never accumulated. this event brings my yearly total (on the ground) to, drumroll

25-30" WOO HOO. that is amazing and unbelievable...and will play havoc with the snowfall averages in a couple of years when 2010 is thrown into the mix

:scooter:

Excepf for the Wilmington area, everything east of RDU/Sanford/Southern Pines/Rockingham/Warrenton has exceeded its seasonal snowfall average already.

The Southern Pines Fail Zone finally came crashing down for sure! Unfortunately the CLT Bermuda Snow Triangle is shown perfectly on that map.

The Southern Pines Fail Zone finally came crashing down for sure! Unfortunately the CLT Bermuda Snow Triangle is shown perfectly on that map.

Congrats Eyewall! :snowman: I know it's been a long wait.

I've got a feeling 2011 may be our time finally in the snow triangle, at least I hope! There are so many great posters around this area that really deserve some snow gratification. :thumbsup:

Archived