joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Christmas Storm VII

Cold Rain

• Replies 945
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Southern Pines Fail Zone finally came crashing down for sure! Unfortunately the CLT Bermuda Snow Triangle is shown perfectly on that map.

lmaosmiley.gif True that, though I was on the south east end of CLT and I dispute that 1.9 total. Glad you got some great snow out of this one. Hopefully Jan. is the month to remember for my area.

I just got in and glanced at the snow total map. Guess my eyes weren't deceiving me Christmas night when it was 33 and snowing very lightly. I managed 1" on round one. Thank goodness for round 2, otherwise this would have been a bust for my area. The snow is almost gone here, I have a few patches left . I just drove from east Shelby to my house and in some yards with no trees, they are completely bare already. Unbelievably fast melting, but we didnt' get much to start with. Hopefully one of these years a storm will give some real precipitation to my area, its frustrating to go so many years in a row like this with half your average rain and snow amounts, while 50 miles in either direction has above average rains (and now snow).

post-38-0-03478400-1293483318.gif

Yeah it's a damn shame the ground was so warm before hand, generally in the upper 40s to near 50. If we had a frozen ground, I'd be looking at 6 plus on the ground at least...possibly more. It snowed hard for most of the day yesterday but despite that, it was melting so fast from underneath that it was only slowly accumulating and at times I was just probably breaking even. That's disheartening.

I have quite a lot of snow on the ground still but of course bare areas are starting to increase and grow in size. It never ceases to amaze me how fast snow can melt in the south, even when it's cold outside. If we only had the ground temps we had last year (you know when some saw a half inch of snow last a week), man that would have been awesome. I don't expect all of it to melt today but most will be gone tomorrow, except maybe the most protected of spots.

Here is the accumulation map from ffc. It is nice to see the 4 inch amounts south of athens and along i-20. When there is winter weather in the north, These areas 99/100 times miss out just barely. I'm happy that those folks got to experience a good snow for a change. I'm somewhat surprised at there only being 3 to 4 southwest of athens, the most intense part of the snow band yesterday stayed over that area all day. Honestly, that area should have had 6 easy. Damn ground temps.

Once again though atlanta only receives an inch or two. So when someone like larry looks back on this storm, most will see atlanta's measly 1 or 2 inches and not give this storm the credit it deserves. As you can see, the heavier totals just skipped right over them..4 inches to the west and east of atlanta. It's somewhat surprising how hard it is to get a truly good snow in atlanta.

20101225_FinalSnowAccumulationMap.png

Also of note the good totals in north alabama. Some reports of 6 inches in hunstville.

snowfall_totals_small.png

I can assure you that in lumpkin county the only places that got 6" would have been the ridge tops in the northern part of the county. I live north of town and only got 2.75" while I did measure 3.5" higher up at 1,650ft in my neighborhood. We drove south of town today and over half the snow was gone and it looked like that area received much less than me. So to me that "official" 6" report does not represent what the majority of my area received.

Please excuse any typos as I posting from my droid. Lol

there was pretty presistent streamer on radar in east central ga most of yesterday if i remember correctly

I know, I was in that band for most of the day ;)

But the heaviest part of the band extended from just west of athens south to near madison. I looked back at my radar images I saved and I don't see anything particularly impressive to make it. Only thing I can figure is maybe there is less forests and more open fields but that is probably a stretch since it is in a straight line like that. So it's a little mystifying to me.

Here is another image and it really stands out

612_20101227-GOES-Snow.jpg

Here's another one, too:

Pretty cool. Would be neat to see a close up.

the winds are screeching right now - had a gust to 39 mph a few minutes ago :scooter: its 29.9 and barely made freezing for a high. the snow is still sort of powdery :snowman: whats even cooler is where you can see some snow has blown on the road - not a frequent occurrence here.

another cold tonight, with the snowcover should be a mid teens or better night (depending on the winds)

I know, I was in that band for most of the day ;)

But the heaviest part of the band extended from just west of athens south to near madison. I looked back at my radar images I saved and I don't see anything particularly impressive to make it. Only thing I can figure is maybe there is less forests and more open fields but that is probably a stretch since it is in a straight line like that. So it's a little mystifying to me.

Here is another image and it really stands out

612_20101227-GOES-Snow.jpg

Pretty cool. Would be neat to see a close up.

Awesome pic Lookout! Really impressive shot of the Low.

I can assure you that in lumpkin county the only places that got 6" would have been the ridge tops in the northern part of the county. I live north of town and only got 2.75" while I did measure 3.5" higher up at 1,650ft in my neighborhood. We drove south of town today and over half the snow was gone and it looked like that area received much less than me. So to me that "official" 6" report does not represent what the majority of my area received.

Please excuse any typos as I posting from my droid. Lol

Actually I was thinking about suspending you for those typos, that behavior won't be tolerated :P;)

Seriously though, that's interesting. I wonder where they got the report from. Their amounts around here seem pretty accurate. There was about 4 inches in general but in spots that were well drained from the rain earlier and protected by incoming solar insolation, there was 5 inches or so. I'm a little surprised amounts were not a little higher in athens and just south of there because of that band I mentioned though. Not sure how athens only got 3 inches while everywhere around them got 4, plus they were in that band all day too.

Actually I was thinking about suspending you for those typos, that behavior won't be tolerated :P;)

Seriously though, that's interesting. I wonder where they got the report from. Their amounts around here seem pretty accurate. There was about 4 inches in general but in spots that were well drained from the rain earlier and protected by incoming solar insolation, there was 5 inches or so. I'm a little surprised amounts were not a little higher in athens and just south of there because of that band I mentioned though. Not sure how athens only got 3 inches while everywhere around them got 4, plus they were in that band all day too.

Lol on the typo thing. I'm gonna be in big trouble in that department....even when I'm not posting from my droid2 phone.

Up at woody gap on the Lumpkin county northern line at 3200ft right now. Well I found the 6". At the woody gap appalacian trail crossing of hwy 60 theres plenty of 2 to 3 foot drifts and the temp is currently 20. So I guess that's where the report came from, the ridge line across the northern Lumpkin county line where basically no one lives. Lol.

I was surprised that band over you yesterday didn't produce more either. I was jealous as I was just getting flurries while watching those to my south get more.....again....just like march 2010 and march 2009.

I think the reason a further south phase is good is because the storm still takes time to get going and to throw back moisture towards the west. The further south the phase is, the more time it has to start doing that before reaching your area.

Thanks Widre. That makes sense. If the bomb out process has plenty of time to get going before the storm gets to your latitude, then you'll get the really good stuff. I'm guessing that there are other factors also that govern how fast the storm bombs out and how deep it goes. I don't really know what those are, though. Maybe how much S/W energy is being phased in? That's the only think that I can come up with that makes any sense, but I'm sure there are things that go into it that I'm not thinking of / remembering from Dynamics.

Archived