• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2024 General Discussion

4 hours ago, Chambana said:

Lawns are abnormally green for March 12th lol, I don’t remember this even during morch. 

I don't remember March 12 in 2012, But I do remember the insane exploding of foliage by March 17-20, which almost certainly will remain king over this year, and any other year. Other very early green ups in my memory are 1998 and 2010. Looking at historically early documented greenups, 1945 and 1946 had extremely early greenups and 1945s fruit crop was essentially ruined. One early greenup that flies under the radar often is 1977. After a cold early Fall and brutally cold winter, spring sprung early with warmth and stuff leafed out much earlier than normal.

Im curious what happened during the spring of 1932. There was a lot of documentation of extraordinary winter blooming and blossoming of trees and flowers, which was then followed by a cold spring.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

I don't remember March 12 in 2012, But I do remember the insane exploding of foliage by March 17-20, which almost certainly will remain king over this year, and any other year. Other very early green ups in my memory are 1998 and 2010. Looking at historically early documented greenups, 1945 and 1946 had extremely early greenups and 1945s fruit crop was essentially ruined. One early greenup that flies under the radar often is 1977. After a cold early Fall and brutally cold winter, spring sprung early with warmth and stuff leafed out much earlier than normal.

Im curious what happened during the spring of 1932. There was a lot of documentation of extraordinary winter blooming and blossoming of trees and flowers, which was then followed by a cold spring.

Looks to be about 2 weeks ahead of schedule here but with the upcoming colder pattern it will probably end up being just slightly ahead compared to normal once spring is finished. 

• Like 1

Southern Ontario is wrapped up in the Great Lakes. The only landmass like it (Northern MI is pretty similar as well)  Its water all the way from northern Lake Huron- River in Detroit/Windsor-Lake Erie-Niagara river-Lake Ontario-St.Lawerence. 

It's impressive when you think about it that way. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Malacka11 said:

You know that point in spring where the green is subliminally taking the forest over? Like you look around and everything is still mostly brown but the green is just seeping in anyway when you stare long enough? Can't believe we're there already

extended looks cool to cold so should slow things down

This date in Wx History March 14. Interesting that the term "Blizzard" was introduced to the populace back in 1870. Wonder what terms were used prior to that? Rather nasty ice storm in 1943.

Duluth had it's weather office at a downtown location until the late 50's I believe, and airport data started in the late 20's, so there was overlap that was threaded.

1943: Snow, sleet and ice cripple parts of Minnesota south of a line from Duluth through St. Cloud and Ortonville. The heaviest ice was in the vicinities of Lake Benton, Springfield and Windom. Ice thickness was 1/2 to 3/4 inch around St. Cloud to 3/4 to 2 inches in the Pipestone, Ruthton, Lake Wilson, Slayton and Tracy. A good description of the ice was submitted in one report: '…ice was 2 inches across and 1 3/4 inch deep on wire. A little frost ice near the wire with the outside solid ice. The ice was irregular in shape.' Duluth had 6 inches of snowfall at the city office with 13 inches at the airport. The ice was confined to Moose Lake and south.

1870: A severe snow and wind storm moves across Minnesota and Iowa. The 'Northern Vindicator' of Estherville, Iowa becomes the first newspaper to use the term 'blizzard' on this date.

• Like 2

On 3/12/2024 at 2:58 PM, michsnowfreak said:

Using 1970s winters as a baseline has been popular for years and will continue to be. When you use what is for most the harshest decade of winters on record as a baseline for "average", make increases in temps and (for some) decreases in snow more eye popping. The ever-popular "since 1970" will still be popular, but now that we have hit a nice round number of 50 years since 1974-75, that too should increase in popularity (especially we can add the last 2 very mild winters, and lop off the milder, lower snow seasons of '71-73). Lets face it, including the many mild and terrible snow seasons of the 1930s-50s would be a real buzzkill, so just start in the 1970s!

I verified the data for Detroit. Whats interesting is Mar snowfall did decrease from 7.4" to 5.5" (a ~25% decrease) but Feb snow INCREASED from 6.7" to 16.2" (a ~140% increase :lol:). December saw a sharp decrease. Whats funny though is the annual snowfall remained the same to the tenth of an inch (44.9" to 44.9"). The previous 50 years (1924-1973) saw annual snowfall DECREASE by 6.6" & avg winter temps rise 1.4F.

Its all about how you make the graph work for you.

~If I look at the change in the last 50 years of Detroit winters, they have warmed 4.9F and annual snowfall has remained exactly the same (heavier mid-winter and lighter at the beginning and ends of the season).

~However, if I look at the change the last 100 years, the winters have warmed just 1.2F and annual snowfall has increased a whopping 13.3". It goes without saying that those puny mid-20th century winters hurt.

~If I look at the entire period of record, 150 years, Detroit winters have warmed 2.0F & annual snowfall has increased 0.6".

ERA5 data is correct up my way, but I also know how to play "Reindeer Games" too. :lol: But of course my new name would be "Rudolph" now. :lol:

March snowfall Duluth 1978-2023.gif

• Haha 1

Models just all over the place for Northern Illinois for snow chances the next two weeks. While a late season snow would be nice it doesn’t seem in the cards for this year. The transition to Nina will be interesting. Next year most assuredly will be different.

20 with snow showers, heavy at times since yesterday.  Several inches have fallen here, up to around AAA road and over to Eagle Mine.  Point has upwards of 7 more inches by morning. 20's for highs today and tomorrow, bumping up to low 30's Tuesday before falling to the upper teens and low 20's Wednesday and Thursday.  A wintry week for sure but nothing shocking as March is usually the 5th month of winter in the n woods.

• Like 2