Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Late Feb/March Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

8 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

He and his fucking Harpsichord using ass can go suffer eternal La Niña and a SER.  

LOL!!!!  OK, c'mon now...I love Beethoven and he's still my favorite composer.  Unfortunately, I was unable to find an image or a gif with him doing an eyeroll!!  So I settled for the Austrian dude...but don't diss his music TOO much!

(ETA:  I await a lecture from @Maestrobjwa on the merits of Beethoven vs. Mozart and his harpsichord using ass!)

• Haha 4

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

50 minutes ago, Weather Will said:

Persistent DMV snow hole persists through March on latest WB EPS control run, mean not any better.  Guess the good news is there is heavier snow not too far north, south, east, and west!!!!  

IMG_3284.png

Mother Nature always balances.  Syracuse has only had 31% of climo, DC has had 84%, I have had 29%.  I am happy, that is 28.6 % more than last year.   Rejoice and be happy with your blessings.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

This winter has made me bitter.  Time to bring back tear Beethoven avatar.  

I used to be bitter, or so I was told lol. I forget how that started.

Speaking of bitter(s), just made an old fashioned, with quite a bite. Delicious.

In other news, HH GFS has a completely new look for March 1st. Not surprising. Now we torch lol.

1709262000-9EnhHuJZAd4.png

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Speaking of bitter(s), just made an old fashioned, with quite a bite. Delicious.

In other news, HH GFS has a completely new look for March 1st. Not surprising. Now we torch lol.

Please God, bring the torch on.  

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

FWIW the blocking on long range guidance evolve form heat fluxes initially assoxiated with Scandinavian ridging. This is a more common and stable way to get blocking than the wave breaking attempt earlier this month. 

I am well aware of the climo limitations we will face in late March. 

Not sure about this. Looking at the depiction at the end of the ens runs, and continuing forward with the extended products, it looks like the same progression we had previously that led to nothing more than a rather weak, transient -NAO. There were hints of a retrograding Scandi ridge then too, but it was a unicorn. Just going with persistence, I don't think a legit(stable) NA block is in the cards this winter, not that it would make much difference in mid to late March anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not sure about this. Looking at the depiction at the end of the ens runs, and continuing forward with the extended products, it looks like the same progression we had previously that led to nothing more than a rather weak, transient -NAO. There were hints of a retrograding Scandi ridge then too, but it was a unicorn. Just going with persistence, I don't think a legit(stable) NA block is in the cards this winter, not that it would make much difference in mid to late March anyway.

Now you become pessimistic?

57 minutes ago, CAPE said:

The eps had like 3 runs over 5 days where it did advertise a Scandi ridge progression. Gfsx never really did. This time both have it. It’s not the strongest signal ever but I see it. I don’t see as much wave breaking. Last time guidance developed multiple strong Atlantic lows before the block. This time the -nao comes before the Atlantic lows.

Im extremely skeptical it comes about. Guidance also had the December and January blocking coming about that way and both those times it ended up being more wave breaking and unstable and quickly broke down. That could happen again. Or we could get the block and it’s too warm like last March. Im with you wet skepticism we get a favorable pattern. But I do think the current looks on the eps and gfsx have a slightly better progression than last time. 

ETA: the eps has already been kicking the can a few days lately. Its very likely its doing the same “-QBO Nino lets snow the typical pattern” crap it did all 2019 and this year. 

1 hour ago, CAPE said:

That sucks...I only need one more mild/moderate event to move up in the snowfall forecast competition.

Edit: I just need one more 4-6" region-wide event.  I'm now back to tracking.

Just now, 87storms said:

That sucks...I only need one more mild/moderate event to move up in the snowfall forecast competition.

That certainly could happen. We don't need a sustained block in March to get some snow. Timing as usual, and some wild shit can happen with flawed patterns and shorter wavelengths.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CAPE said:

Bring it. I want 90s by early April.

2 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

The eps had like 3 runs over 5 days where it did advertise a Scandi ridge progression. Gfsx never really did. This time both have it. It’s not the strongest signal ever but I see it. I don’t see as much wave breaking. Last time guidance developed multiple strong Atlantic lows before the block. This time the -nao comes before the Atlantic lows.

Im extremely skeptical it comes about. Guidance also had the December and January blocking coming about that way and both those times it ended up being more wave breaking and unstable and quickly broke down. That could happen again. Or we could get the block and it’s too warm like last March. Im with you wet skepticism we get a favorable pattern. But I do think the current looks on the eps and gfsx have a slightly better progression than last time. 

ETA: the eps has already been kicking the can a few days lately. Its very likely its doing the same “-QBO Nino lets snow the typical pattern” crap it did all 2019 and this year. 

Could end up better, but a typical sustained NA blocking pattern that develops via a retrograding Scandi ridge I don't think would feature a south central Canada ridge immediately leading in(there should be lower h5 heights there). We have seen this same look previously this winter and the models were dead wrong on the depicted outcome, as it instead ended up a transient/weak -NAO and not a true block.

1709920800-VJY0TqAHvok.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Scarlet Pimpernel said:

LOL!!!!  OK, c'mon now...I love Beethoven and he's still my favorite composer.  Unfortunately, I was unable to find an image or a gif with him doing an eyeroll!!  So I settled for the Austrian dude...but don't diss his music TOO much!

(ETA:  I await a lecture from @Maestrobjwa on the merits of Beethoven vs. Mozart and his harpsichord using ass!)

Dang this winter got @stormtrackerpicking classical fights, lol Now first of all, while Beethoven will always be my #1 dude, Mozart slander of that magnitude shalt not be tolerated :lol: And I must point out...Mozart did technically play a fortepiano and not a harpsichord (unless the harpsi was when he was like 5)...so I dismiss your diss good sir!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CAPE said:

Could end up better, but a typical sustained NA blocking pattern that develops via a retrograding Scandi ridge I don't think would feature a south central Canada ridge immediately leading in(there should be lower h5 heights there). We have seen this same look previously this winter and the models were dead wrong on the depicted outcome, as it instead ended up a transient/weak -NAO and not a true block.

1709920800-VJY0TqAHvok.png

I can think of one example where a Canada ridge was undercut and lifted to link with a retrograding ridge from Scandi. 
IMG_1694.gif.487fa318ee733b8b4a56b145093cf46a.gif

You’re right Dec 2009 is the more common progression except in a strong Nino. Several other of our strong Nino blocks came about from a lifting Canada ridge linking with a retro scandi ridge.  

The bigger issue is I agree with you that the guidance is probably being fooled again.  Through day 10-15 it’s relying on pattern progression but as it gets further out it’s increasingly saying “I see a -QBO, weak ass SPV, strong Nino, let’s go canonical pattern look for those drivers”. But as we’ve seen time and again other factors the guidance isn’t properly weighting is running interference. Odds are the same thing is happening again. 

The only reason I give it any chance is the current SPV collapse in progress. I think there was even a wind reversal already with some guidance suggesting a second in a few days!  The timing of which would correlate with a block in mid March. But we’ve seen that fail too this winter so…

Honesrly I’m humbled (and currently trashed) at this point. I really thought the Nina pac base state would mute the super Nino some and result in a canonical moderate Nino pattern. Instead what we actually got was the fucking worst traits of a Nina and Nino.  At this point I’ve called uncle and have no expectations but march is crazy and the SPV just collapsed so im leaving a crack open for something to surprise me. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Ji said:

As usual another shite last week of February

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

We had a good run…I guess. Praying that before next winter the largest black hole ever discovered (7 light years wide - please go ahead and look it up—it’s legit—ask Australia) just swallows us whole and spits us out on the other side into a new base state. Let’s just go ahead and for fun….let’s call it…base state…Dumbo?  Babar is an idiot and can go fuck himself. I will now go see myself out and into a deep hibernation until awoken by the first storm thread of the new black hole millennium. So many jokes in there, so little time. And yeah. I swear. It was just beers—and a few meads. :lol:

31 minutes ago, Scraff said:

We had a good run…I guess. Praying that before next winter the largest black hole ever discovered (7 light years wide - please go ahead and look it up—it’s legit—ask Australia) just swallows us whole and spits us out on the other side into a new base state. Let’s just go ahead and for fun….let’s call it…base state…Dumbo?  Babar is an idiot and can go fuck himself. I will now go see myself out and into a deep hibernation until awoken by the first storm thread of the new black hole millennium. So many jokes in there, so little time. And yeah. I swear. It was just beers—and a few meads. :lol:

Somewhere is an alternative universe where water freezes at 50 degrees 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic