joxey
Late Feb/March Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

42 minutes ago, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

The MJO went through phases 3-4-5  the only time it was cold this Winter, Jan 11-21. The rest of the Winter was mostly warm for the CONUS

1.gif.24a7b22d3b724f9c10290016f2091726.gif

image.thumb.gif.561d4383307cd52a5ca7a0cbb7bef078.giffrom December 22 to Jan 13 was in a cold phase

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Alright show of hands: What masochists are gonna be in here tracking next winter? :lol:

Why wouldn't we be here? I bet next winter tosses a surprise or two at us. It's akin to  Vegas sports book odds....when all the money is on one side (in this case alot of pros throwing next winter in the garbage saying not even a remote shot) that's when the upsets tend to happen. Overall probably a crud pattern but I'm sure we sneak a handful of trackable events in there.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

wouldn't shock me to see blocking return in some fashion in mid-late March. a brief reversal of 10mb winds already occurred, and another is expected to occur during the first week of March. the upcoming 500mb pattern fits that of the 2018 and 2023 blocking events quite well, which were also from SSWs. not sure if it means any more winter weather, but it's something to note

compday.webp.a7da5300a13b748d68f70b8cc739869d.webp1343173765_compday(1).webp.0a5d79160fb19a11f3739fc571ae2f6b.webp

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-nhemi-z500_anom_7day-9726400.thumb.png.f58c0213d73d10d5f116a20f8cbea2ea.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

FWIW the blocking on long range guidance evolve form heat fluxes initially assoxiated with Scandinavian ridging. This is a more common and stable way to get blocking than the wave breaking attempt earlier this month. 

I am well aware of the climo limitations we will face in late March. 

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Yes.  There is nothing coming to save us.  People are hoping for a March fluke.   Why should anything change?  End this misery and just root for 70's.  We want off this ride. 

That’s what we won’t get.  40s and wet yes.  Clean 70s. Nah…maybe a day or 4…

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

wouldn't shock me to see blocking return in some fashion in mid-late March. a brief reversal of 10mb winds already occurred, and another is expected to occur during the first week of March. the upcoming 500mb pattern fits that of the 2018 and 2023 blocking events quite well, which were also from SSWs. not sure if it means any more winter weather, but it's something to note

I was just noticing how common this PNA pattern is Feb 22-Mar 5, since 2013. I came up with 7 analogs (64% of dataset). and the roll forward into March carries a >+200dm -PNA!  https://ibb.co/JkDgZ6J

But the analogs also develop a west-based -NAO (which agrees with Stratosphere warming +time). Actually gives the NE almost a below normal March. 

https://ibb.co/yyJxPgw

• Like 1

I don't mind having troughs digging into the SW, US, to be honest. That sets us up for future Winters. 

I made a prediction a long time ago

The warmth has actually gone extreme in the last 2 Winters, so I think we have knocked a good amount of this "5 year variable" out, although I still wouldn't be surprised if the average of the next 3 Winters is above average in the same area. 

I found on micro and macro-scales, pressure in the SW leads us. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic