Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/13 Significant/Major Winter Storm Discussion & Observations

Northof78

dsotrSoepn5u7ma181g6a6l0u1580af23t76h17a9igmta5021iua7ua2fh0  ·

RANT-
We have entered into model absurdity leading to meteorological insanity. I'll make this quick; I have to get on air and say something and try to sound smart.
As of today's major runs and very latest meso/hi res updates, everything is seemingly being turned upside down. Like clothes in a dryer, the atmospheric pieces are still getting tossed around.
The euro has been horrendous. Normally the stalwart, it now has a weaker storm, much farther south again. In the past 3 days, it has changed it's solutions and placement more than the average person changes their underwear (What...you don't change your underwear 4 times a day, do you? )
If this is the case, you can totally forget about 6-12" in the northern suburbs. If the snow isn't heavy enough in the City, it won't stick b/c it will be too warm. 3-6" of 'heavier snow' will now line up south of I-78
18z HRRR/nam nest- the heaviest accumultions now run between I-80 and I-78 from EPA/WNJ across LI. But again, that's using 10:1 ratios. ...which most likely will not verify. Too warm here at the surface.
So I'm going to throw something against the wall and see what sticks and get on WCBS Newsradio 880 and come up with a forecast, which is sure to change again
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Don't be surprised when the 00z runs end up even further South.

Most school districts around here have already called closings for tomorrow. 

I understand what the forecast was showing but there was no need to pull the trigger this early.

re: districts. First: remember, they're responsible for life and safety, so they're going to err on the side of caution; Second: most people are normal, we are not. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

Its definitely amusing seeing some ppl who whined about it being too far north yesterday and “no one lives up north” now celebrating, gotta admit. 

And if this storm trends northward overnight and shafts the metro, they'll be rejoicing... and good for them.

Importantly though, the vast majority of us would rather have a storm that buries everyone. 

I've

Just now, Metasequoia said:

And if this storm trends northward overnight and shafts the metro, they'll be rejoicing... and good for them.

Importantly though, the vast majority of us would rather have a storm that buries everyone. 

The storm is happening overnight at this point so a trend that dramatic is unlikely. At most this shifts far enough north to hit both the metro and up to I84.

2 minutes ago, uofmiami said:

He overthinks his forecasts to his detriment imo. So he’s constantly changing it.

Classic case of an intelligent person (he and many people here are far smarter than myself) outthinking themselves to their own detriment. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

My first winter storm warning since 2022.

4-8 inches 

Same here. Point click forecast from NWS has 5-9" in north Queens. Only 4-6" in Manhattan, Staten Island, and south Brooklyn, south Queens, as far as point click forecasts go

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cannoliman42 said:

Such varying estimates in NYC and Western LI. Certainly one of the weirder maps I've seen out of Upton, but could be factoring in UHI/population density.

Edit: Thought about it some more. Still doesn't make sense to me.

Looks like a March storm but I guess with marginal surface temps they are maybe expecting it to be more like a March storm where UHI makes a difference.

12 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Trying to be that precise with the shading is admirable.  Between the population density and the intricacies of the geography, the mets around here should get degree of difficulty points.  That thing looks like the gerrymandered NYS congressional district map (historical not political statement - all parties do it.)  I'm glad I'm not responsible for having to draw that.

• Haha 1

• Northof78 changed the title to 2/13 Significant/Major Winter Storm Discussion & Observations
  • BxEngine unpinned this topic