Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/13 Significant/Major Winter Storm Discussion & Observations

Northof78

Just now, Tatamy said:

A lot more than the Euro.

What a rollercoaster with the models this past week. Insanity. Everyone thought this was going to trend north and the models were until it realized that they were all wrong with the strength of the southern wave.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

It's February, not March. Enough of this not sticking crap.

Has nothing to do with it.  It's been in the 50's and even 60's.   You won't accumulate moderate snow with crappy dynamics/34-35 degrees and daytime given the setup even if it were Jan 15th same around here not just the city-we need heavy snow to bring the temps down to 32/33

Just now, Brian5671 said:

Has nothing to do with it.  It's been in the 50's and even 60's.   You won't accumulate moderate snow with crappy dynamics/34-35 degrees and daytime given the setup even if it were Jan 15th

I agree with crappy dynamics 

There's a deform band of 2"-3" an hour. I dont care what the city ground temp is, if it snows that hard, it will accumulate.

Wherever the deform ccb sets up, will receive 6"-12"+. Right not, most models place that around NYC.

As for the Euro, it has done these types of whacky precip cuts many times in these situations.

I wouldn't worry about it.

• Like 8

The model output (and subsequent measuring) is not for roads. Enough. We know it wont stick as well on major roads. We dont measure on the cross bronx. If you want to discuss the dynamics, fine. But saying the modeled snow totals wont happen because “roads” is tiresome. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, ag3 said:

There's a deform band of 2"-3" an hour. I dont care what the city ground temp is, if it snows that hard, it will accumulate.

Wherever the deform ccb sets up, will receive 6"-12"+. Right not, most models place that around NYC.

As for the Euro, it has done these types of whacky precip cuts many times in these situations.

Post more and agree. 

I like 3-6 for NYC with the lower amounts in southern sections of the area.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ag3 said:

I agree but the UKMET is also mostly a non event.   I worry when it's a couple models not on board.  However it's 2 globals and we are under 24 hrs

17 minutes ago, Dark Star said:

Dunno, I don't think any MAJOR roadway in NYC (proper) will be terribly affected?

Where the really heavy stuff sets up (of course this assuming the phase is clean and this explodes as some of the Short Rangers are alluding to), I would say the major highways are going to gunk up relatively quickly. If you have SN to SN-, then roadways are fine. But -and again this is an assumption which could bust- if the storm sets up in such a manner so as to dump some SN+, then roadways will quickly become rather nasty. 

This is why I was saying I would prepare as if you are going to take a hit, because to be caught off guard in something like that is not fun (IE, Feb 2013 - No I am not saying this is a Feb 2013 redux). 

3 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

I agree but the UKMET is also mostly a non event.   I worry when it's a couple models not on board.  However it's 2 globals and we are under 24 hrs

Aren't globals less reliable than mesos at this range? Also the Euro has definitely busted cold/south before. I'm not saying it's not a possibility but it seems extreme. It's crazy that less than 24 hours out we have such model disagreement. 

Not to beat this horse to a second death, but here’s Amsterdam Ave on 11/15/2018. I checked the dailies for the month and the days prior were in 40s and 50s. We hadn’t had a freeze yet in 2018.

Heat island, yes. It’s not the surface of the sun.

IMG_2220.jpeg

• Like 2

Just now, psv88 said:

I wouldn’t completely discount the EURO. It has support from UKIE. Definitely concerning trend here. Stay tuned 

Yea i'd toss if completely alone but that's not the case. However, if mesos stay consistent and don't budge south by the next set of runs then I'd be more inclined to toss. 

1 minute ago, HVSnowLover said:

Aren't globals less reliable than mesos at this range? Also the Euro has definitely busted cold/south before. I'm not saying it's not a possibility but it seems extreme. I can't believe I'm saying this but I think anyone in the immediate metro area SOUTH of I287 is pretty safe at this point. North of there it gets more iffy.     

yeah that was my point I was trying to make-meso's might be better but I can't believe the Euro would bust this bad this close in....

2 minutes ago, hooralph said:

Not to beat this horse to a second death, but here’s Amsterdam Ave on 11/15/2018. I checked the dailies for the month and the days prior were in 40s and 50s. We hadn’t had a freeze yet in 2018.

Heat island, yes. It’s not the surface of the sun.

IMG_2220.jpeg

that was a great storm-it did help that it was mainly an overnight event too.

3 minutes ago, psv88 said:

I wouldn’t completely discount the EURO. It has support from UKIE. Definitely concerning trend here. Stay tuned 

I agree, however, the Ukie and Euro tend to follow each other. Downstream observations show a significant amount of juice with this storm. I would not completely discount, but, I would also say just keep in mind and watch Short Rangers currently. If they begin to back up the Euro, then I would put true stock in it. 

Just now, USCG RS said:

I agree, however, the Ukie and Euro tend to follow each other. Downstream observations show a significant amount of juice with this storm. I would not completely discount, but, I would also say just keep in mind and watch Short Rangers currently. If they begin to back up the Euro, then I would put true stock in it. 

Would be amazing if after all this time this misses to the south and hammers Coastal NJ while NYC see's light white rain. I just don't see it happening though but have to keep on eye on this trend.

• Sad 1

• Northof78 changed the title to 2/13 Significant/Major Winter Storm Discussion & Observations
  • BxEngine unpinned this topic