Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2024

wdrag

Just now, NEG NAO said:

NIce - but what do you see happening here in regards to sensible weather ? Down here on the ground

this shows split flow, with moist air from the STJ meeting up with powerful confluence from the 50/50 ULL. might not be a very powerful LP, but the thermal gradient could lead to a lot of precip. the 50/50 locks in the cold, as well

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

I'm tired of rain. 

Winter should only feature snow and the other months rain.

Enjoying the drier pattern here this week for as long as we can get it. It was the first time I walked on the grass and I didn’t start sinking into the mushy ground below in a while.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bluewave said:

Enjoying the drier pattern here this week for as long as we can get it. It was the first time I walked on the grass and I didn’t start sinking into the mushy ground below in a while.

Not to mention 5 days of almost clear skies after 10 days overcast and 40 degrees

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Blue Dream said:

Is there a reason snowman finds this funny?

b/c it's the long range.  we've been chasing the LR since Thanksgiving with 2 inches of snow to show for it.   Hope it happens but there's reason to be skeptical given the winter to date.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Definitely as much a top ten day as you can get in February. Might as well enjoy that vs get depressed about another trash winter. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Euro is awful

This was never the one for us, the air mass is terrible. Now if the storm on the 19th misses that's a different story. That one's been on long ranch guidance for what seems like forever. Pattern change still looks good for next week, enjoy the beautiful weather an wait it out 

4 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Nice clipper Friday and now sets up the storm for president day weekend…

Monday is gone bro, let it go. 

Monday’s always been a bonus. Need a lot to go exactly right. But very encouraging that the good pattern and storm threats are staying on the models.

20 minutes ago, bluewave said:

or have the dogs track mud all over the house.....

23 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Wake me up when one of these epic computer modulated patterns and digital snow actually verifies

the patterns? that's easy. here you go! they actually all verified, look at that

unfortunately, great patterns do not guarantee snow. they only increase the odds. something can always go wrong, and we have had really bad luck. but you already know this and are being purposefully inflammatory

compday.oqEsyyb2jI.gif.5b042236046697221617a9ac8b92b9a4.gifcompday._WvYWiKQNZ.gif.5e33315b739695c1331bf1825fc47c3f.gifcompday.T3jETHBDCW.gif.921944fcb4f27dd361d0da739feb0286.gif

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Weenie 1

4 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

this is apparently "awful" now. god bless

ecmwf-deterministic-namer-z500_anom-8171200.png

Not saying it’s a slam dunk but our attention should be towards that threat. Plus the pattern around that weekend is looking less suppressive now 

• Like 2

Just now, Allsnow said:

Not saying it’s a slam dunk but our attention should be towards that threat. Plus the pattern around that weekend is looking less suppressive now 

it isn't, but you have a very potent southern stream vort, fresh Arctic cold, and a potential phase with a northern stream vort. plus the 50/50 ULL. pieces are in place

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

the patterns? that's easy. here you go! they actually all verified, look at that

unfortunately, great patterns do not guarantee snow. they only increase the odds. something can always go wrong, and we have had really bad luck. but you already know this and are being purposefully inflammatory

compday.oqEsyyb2jI.gif.5b042236046697221617a9ac8b92b9a4.gifcompday._WvYWiKQNZ.gif.5e33315b739695c1331bf1825fc47c3f.gifcompday.T3jETHBDCW.gif.921944fcb4f27dd361d0da739feb0286.gif

2000 through 2018 skewed expectations. 70 through 99 showed how these setups can fail/give us light to moderate snow.

29 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

this is apparently "awful" now. god bless

ecmwf-deterministic-namer-z500_anom-8171200.png

My concern this early on (and things should improve afterward) is that the above 500 mb chart is quite similar to a period that also was a "miss" as far as snowfall was concerned for the NYC and Philadelphia areas: February 17-March 3, 1958.

New York City: Precipitation: 1.95"; Snow: 0.5"

Philadelphia: Precipitation: 1.97"; Snow: Trace

image.gif.2c57cbdcaeb26098cb1bc91dc0107724.gif

• Like 1

1 minute ago, donsutherland1 said:

My concern this early on (and things should improve afterward) is that the above 500 mb chart is quite similar to a period that also was a "miss" as far as snowfall was concerned for the NYC and Philadelphia areas: February 17-March 3, 1958.

Yeah that looks similar.

1 hour ago, brooklynwx99 said:

Unfortunately, the Pacific was too overpowering in those examples you cited for a big snow event. January had too much of a trough out West so we only got a few small events which was probably the best we could have hoped for. Last March the interior wound up with the big 40” special. December 2022 featured one the most negative -AO patterns we have seen during a La Niña. But the previous ones in 1995,2000, 2005, and 2010 did much better. Plus we had the block become more south based around storm time later in December 2022 linking up with the Southeast ridge .So I disagree that luck had much to do with this. It was a product of the type of patterns we have been getting in recent years which have been very hostile to snowfall. I still believe late February into early March will at least provide a window when NYC can get its first 4”+ or even 6”+ event or multiple events in years. But it’s not a guarantee. This is the first time we have a forecast for a solid STJ and blocking to combine in a while. We’ll just need the Pacific to back off for a long enough interval while the blocking pattern is still in effect. I think its doable.  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

there was a HECS on Feb 15-17, though, and one in late March

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, snowman19 said:

Wake me up when one of these epic computer modulated patterns and digital snow actually verifies

Isn't this forum designed for discussing patterns, even patterns that are weeks out? It seems kind of disingenuous to disparage those who are posting well reasoned thoughts about future patterns. Same goes for those that post future torch patterns such as yourself, you shouldn't be ridiculed for that either.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

Are their similar periods that weren't a miss that you can point out, or just this?