• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
It was a Flop... February 2024 Disco. Thread

7 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Warm spring, and I still had some snow piles around town in June.

Nuts.

I remember leaving UML as the spring semester ended, and there was still a huge pile on the north side of the north parking garage were they had been pushing it off the structure. Always wondered how long that pile held out.

Well, it's a wrap and a fail.  Newfound Lake NH will not have a "ice in" this season.  It tried this week and almost made it until today.  Even with the cold weekend the NW wind will break up much of the thin ice.  I believe this is the 3rd time the lake failed to freeze in the past 100 years.

NF brighter.jpg

• Like 9

45 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Riveting

To me ...that frontal whole thing reminds me of one of those early December S gale deals. 

Like, we don't typically see those this late in winter.   weird.  Really, think back - steeply kinked baroclinic axis with gradient compression on the warms side is so November..

Only in this case, it doesn't herald in the first cold change ...

6 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Operational models ran a bit milder overall for the latter mid/ext range.

Good....ready to flush this winter and pick ticks off the kids for the next 8 months

Sneaky ice everywhere this morning despite the temps hovering a hair above freezing. Always a fun phenomenon when that occurs.

13 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

Good....ready to flush this winter and pick ticks off the kids for the next 8 months

Sneaky ice everywhere this morning despite the temps hovering a hair above freezing. Always a fun phenomenon when that occurs.

ticks I imagine will be at an all-time bad this warm season.  Lack of sustained cold seems to be correlated to all these increasing numbers of critters.  Not just that ... but the whole invading southern species thing.  Either taking advantage of a retreating frost line that no one in here admits while claiming they don't deny climate change ( snark intended - ), or even climate refugee diaspora in the animal kingdom in general, there's weird colored bugs with poky parts everywhere now that I don't recall ever seeing having lived my life along 40 N.

The week after this last Thanks Giving, I pulled a tick off my person.  I'm like Dec 2nd?!  We're pullin' f'n ticks off in the winter now I guess. Not idea where that I picked up that vampire.

I don't see how the last 10 years of statistical changes in the insect population was alleviated by this particular winter's shirking.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

ticks I imagine will be at an all-time bad this warm season.  Lack of sustained cold seems to be correlated to all these increasing numbers of critters.  Not just that ... but the whole invading southern species thing.  Either taking advantage of a retreating frost line that no one in here admits while claiming they don't deny climate change ( snark intended - ), or even climate refugee diaspora in the animal kingdom in general, there's weird colored bugs with poky parts everywhere now that I don't recall ever seeing having lived my life along 40 N.

The week after this Thanks Giving, I pulled a tick off my person.  I'm like Dec 2nd?!  We're pullin' f'n ticks off in the winter now I guess. 

I don't see how the last 10 years of statistical changes in the insect population was alleviated by this particular winter's shirking.

I pulled a tick off my cat yesterday, there's still snow on the ground.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

The week after this Thanks Giving, I pulled a tick off my person.  I'm like Dec 2nd?!  We're pullin' f'n ticks off in the winter now I guess. 

I had a dog tick on me on Christmas day this year. lol

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Seriously, I was hoping to wait and use the expensive cat/tick meds until spring.but looks like I have to start now. Thanks Greta

3 minutes ago, SouthCoastMA said:

Seriously, I was hoping to wait and use the expensive cat/tick meds until spring.but looks like I have to start now. Thanks Greta

It won’t be long before those lone star ticks are even up to my neighborhood. They’re more aggressive than other ticks.