• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
It was a Flop... February 2024 Disco. Thread

23 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

The snow/sleet on Sunday wasn't "feathers" and yesterday in the front yard it was melting...

It was melting not because of ground temps but because it was like 33F outside when that crap was falling. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

the snow and sleet was falling onto relatively warm and wet ground...

Sure wet ground from 33-35F rain that preceded it. But if that didn’t fall first, the ground wasn’t prohibitively warm. That’s the point everyone else is making. 

2 hours ago, Prismshine Productions said:

Trend a few degrees cooler and that would be a massive strikecbf5c7a116df7d0066b7bd1f989f9972.jpg

Sent from my SM-S146VL using Tapatalk

What are you talking about? That's already a massive strike at my place. And only 372 hours out? And on Feb 14th, Valentine's day? The only pink and red decorations I need are the pink and reds that this bad boy is generating on the clown maps, cause there's no way this is gonna break my heart.

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Hazey said:

If you happen to be lucky enough to have pack, it makes going through these lulls a lot easier. Nothing worse than boring weather and snowless landscape. Mid Feb will be here soon enough and hopefully another favorable period. 

Yeah one thing that has been nice is I’ve had ground covered for most of the month since 1/7. We lost it after the second cutter but only for a few days prior to the 1/15 event. Then we lost it again last week but only had to wait about 3 days. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

there isn't any frost in the ground...

Doesn’t matter in this context since 2 inch soil temps are around freezing across most of MA (a bit below in higher terrain). You’re not gonna melt really anything bottom-up with that. If it was still in the high 30s to low 40s then you would. 

Pretty much all melting once past very early winter is going to come from top-down…once ground is exposed nearby then you’ll get lateral assist…esp as sun angle increases and heats the exposed sfc nearby. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

My front yard faces south and that is what happens unless it is very cold....meaning the snow begins to melt the next day after a snowstorm if it is sunny with normal temp..

Hate to tell you this, but that will happen January 10th if you have all sun... even if it's 10 degrees. Just doesn't happen quite as fast

8 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah one thing that has been nice is I’ve had ground covered for most of the month since 1/7. We lost it after the second cutter but only for a few days prior to the 1/15 event. Then we lost it again last week but only had to wait about 3 days. 

Same here. It hasn't been a lot, but there's been enough white ground to satisfy in this area

1 hour ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

The ground is so warm for this time of year that the snow melts from below and above..

Where are you located? Plenty of frost in this area! I have an open electrical trench on a job site because everything is frozen solid. Maybe I should let some of you know where it is... save you money on toasters

2 minutes ago, UnitedWx said:

Where are you located? Plenty of frost in this area! I have an open electrical trench on a job site because everything is frozen solid. Maybe I should let some of you know where it is... save you money on toasters

Methuen..

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I will admit, the lack of sun has been kind of brutal.  I think we have had one sunny day in the past 10.

I agree - on one hand it's nice for snow retention (where I measure my snowpack is on a south facing yard) but on the other it's just dreary and miserable and when your main hobby is astronomy, clouds are a no go. 

14 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Doesn’t matter in this context since 2 inch soil temps are around freezing across most of MA (a bit below in higher terrain). You’re not gonna melt really anything bottom-up with that. If it was still in the high 30s to low 40s then you would. 

Pretty much all melting once past very early winter is going to come from top-down…once ground is exposed nearby then you’ll get lateral assist…esp as sun angle increases and heats the exposed sfc nearby. 

There it is.  First legit sun angle mention.  

50 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Sure wet ground from 33-35F rain that preceded it. But if that didn’t fall first, the ground wasn’t prohibitively warm. That’s the point everyone else is making. 

I was actually impressed with how our ground was turning white with a rain/snow mix....just below the surface was still frozen from all the cold we had prior to all of our recent rain.