Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan/Early Feb Medium/Long Range Discussion Part 3

WinterWxLuvr

4 minutes ago, Heisy said:

I’d assume both the control and ensemble will have upgrades to them? Not sure what HRES meant in the tweet. Hires? Idk

oh my god. JB and Mark Margarbage are always posting the Euro control cause it shows crazy snow totals all the time. Now its going to be our operational model @psuhoffman?

9 minutes ago, MDScienceTeacher said:

Right.. I agree with all of this.  So at what point does that Closed Upper level low track just far north enough to paste us with heavy snow?

Complicated... lol. If the low stays completely separate from the northern stream like most guidance shows, a flush hit carries a huge risk of flush rain. Thermals are awful without stream interaction. Can that still happen? Sure, it's in the envelope. But getting stream interaction downstream is backwards. We need to tap downstream and pull cold nearly backwards. Idk man. That's a tall order lol

53 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Yeah, the control will be the op and come out with the ensembles at 2pm next winter 

If there is no operational to run, why wouldn't the ensembles then begin to come out around 1pm?  The reason for the delay in the ensembles is the systems are running the op first.  Without that they can simply start the ensemble system.  

• Like 4

Just now, psuhoffman said:

If there is no operational to run, why wouldn't the ensembles then begin to come out around 1pm?  The reason for the delay in the ensembles is the systems are running the op first.  Without that they can simply start the ensemble system.  

Makes sense, thanks. The control has always be one of the ensemble members for the eps 

7 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Although that statement doesn’t say it, I would expect the new “control” will be at the resolution of the current op? And maybe all ensemble members will be at higher resolution?

Doesn't raising the resolution just make it exactly the same as the current OP? Because the control is just a low resolution version of the OP currently?

55 minutes ago, Heisy said:

I’d assume both the control and ensemble will have upgrades to them? Not sure what HRES meant in the tweet. Hires? Idk

The latest upgrade of the op euro has been referred to as the "hi res" there is a lower res version run but you rarely see it.  

49 minutes ago, Ji said:

oh my god. JB and Mark Margarbage are always posting the Euro control cause it shows crazy snow totals all the time. Now its going to be our operational model @psuhoffman?

The control and op are usually almost the same, its just the control goes out to 15 days so those clowns use the day 12 stuff from the control.  

6 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Although that statement doesn’t say it, I would expect the new “control” will be at the resolution of the current op? And maybe all ensemble members will be at higher resolution?

I really hope so, the only thing I would hate about this change is that frankly the op euro is the best "high res short range" model also.  I know people like to say "time to start using the high res models" but most of those CAM's suck for snowstorms and the euro is still the best for getting the main idea even at 24-48 hours.  Not having that high resolution op would be a big loss imo  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

The latest upgrade of the op euro has been referred to as the "hi res" there is a lower res version run but you rarely see it.  

The control and op are usually almost the same, its just the control goes out to 15 days so those clowns use the day 12 stuff from the control.  

I really hope so, the only thing I would hate about this change is that frankly the op euro is the best "high res short range" model also.  I know people like to say "time to start using the high res models" but most of those CAM's suck for snowstorms and the euro is still the best for getting the main idea even at 24-48 hours.  Not having that high resolution op would be a big loss imo  

They seem to like to sacrifice short term accuracy for long term forecasting in any update they do at ECMWF 

47 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Complicated... lol. If the low stays completely separate from the northern stream like most guidance shows, a flush hit carries a huge risk of flush rain. Thermals are awful without stream interaction. Can that still happen? Sure, it's in the envelope. But getting stream interaction downstream is backwards. We need to tap downstream and pull cold nearly backwards. Idk man. That's a tall order lol

I see.. so probably have to wait.  this time of year is rough.. when you are getting closer and closer to the end of our window and nothing is on the horizon... its hard to watch.

18 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Did the statement say anything about adding more digital blue to satisfy a certain segment of the consumer?

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Allsnow said:

They seem to like to sacrifice short term accuracy for long term forecasting in any update they do at ECMWF 

It’s the exact opposite course to take.  5 days and inside should be enhanced, not the 10+ make pretend 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Nice to see a gfs fantasy range hit at the start of our window

A little warm with the overrunning but looks like an overrunning event that transitions to a coastal low with the h5 pass.

Only 14 days away. :lol:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

A little warm with the overrunning but looks like an overrunning event that transitions to a coastal low with the h5 pass.

Only 14 days away. :lol:

And cooking up something big for D17-18!

• Like 6
  • Weenie 2

11 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Nice to see a gfs fantasy range hit at the start of our window

Obviously this specific threat is unlikely to hit in this exact way, but it was a pretty classic nino way to score, split flow,  cut off system crashes into southern CA and slides across the CONUS under the canada ridging.  

• Like 2

Just now, WxUSAF said:

And cooking up something big for D17-18!

You all know I will be the first to hit the red button when I think its warranted, but I was getting a big old laugh at all the freak outs the last couple days which IMO was simply impatience induced.  

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Obviously this specific threat is unlikely to hit in this exact way, but it was a pretty classic nino way to score, split flow,  cut off system crashes into southern CA and slides across the CONUS under the canada ridging.  

love seeing that massive Aleutian low crash southward and lead to split flow. really nice evolution that keeps presenting itself

• Like 3