• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Did Someone Say Clipper(Hybrid)!?! 1/18-1/19

Frog Town

I've been home from school(I'm a teacher) now for 2 days and I'm bored.  We haven't had one of these for a while and a few models are hinting at some phasing forming a SLP over WV. This could add some enhancement throwing a bone to snow starved portions of the sub.  Let's go!  Pretty consistent message coming from the hi-res stuff. 

image.png.1faff6e873c96178c1d46fb36ca121b2.pngimage.png.bdec4e95e7975b289f6eeded176ef0da.pngimage.png.dcefa69b4b52aac78fcdcc228330a0ca.png

• Like 1

To be fair all of these maps include tonight but between tonight and thursday into friday it should be a solid hit of 4-8" across most of southern MI, Chicago should get some lake effect that would push them higher

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Stebo said:

To be fair all of these maps include tonight but between tonight and thursday into friday it should be a solid hit of 4-8" across most of southern MI, Chicago should get some lake effect that would push them higher

Rookie error on my part.  Was kind of hoping we could keep it going between the two, but that's wishful thinking.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Frog Town said:

Rookie error on my part.  Was kind of hoping we could keep it going between the two, but that's wishful thinking.  

There will be a bit of a lull but not that long, and clippers tend to move in quicker than forecast. Either way it looks like we will get some solid snows.

Interesting little warm air advection/frongogenesis driven snow potential on the front end of things tonight into Thursday...I expect the "clipper" (more hybrid) and lake effect Thursday night into Friday to perform quite well. Soundings suggest a deep DGZ and good snow growth with the clipper. Instability will be deep over the lakes beneath the lobe of the PV. 

474690279_ezgif.com-optimize(2).gif.aec1a52979139838bc1f7c3cf423b00f.gif

The primary shortwave responsible for this system...can call it a clipper I guess, it does move over southern Alberta...has Pacific origins. It is modeled to interact positively with both a small lead wave in the subtropical jet over the Ohio Valley Thursday night but also the incoming lobe of the PV. Models have converged on this idea of a positive interaction between these features occurring Thursday night into Friday morning as the "clipper" takes on a negative tilt. The addition of moisture from the sub-tropical piece (and a bit of moisture from the Pacific), along with the increase baroclinicity provided as the polar vortex and Arctic air come in, allows for potential for a large swath of moderate, high-ratio snow accumulations. This has more upside than a standard clipper.

1007870104_ezgif.com-optimize(3).gif.41687008aad0962ba1724a0a3fcfa7ea.gif

Note in the 500mb loop that the PV lobe swings through the southern Great Lakes through Saturday, bringing in deep cold air and allowing for strong instability to develop over the lakes. This instability, combined with lingering synoptic moisture and lift as a pronounced inverted trough axis hangs back into the Great Lakes in the low-mid levels, will support robust lake effect snow well into Saturday. 

1416521718_ezgif.com-optimize(4).gif.800ed9348f516c7d3a12427c70d1f8b1.gif

This should be a fun sequence that produces fluffy snow in a large area and is ripe for mesoscale surprises, especially near the lakes. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• Frog Town changed the title to Did Someone Say Clipper(Hybrid)!?! 1/18-1/19

IWX hoists Winter Storm Watch for several counties for the lake-effect. I suspect LOT will do the same for at least Porter County. 

IWX says Northern LaPorte and Southwest Berrien Counties are favored to see at least a foot of snow.

9 hours ago, Frog Town said:

I've been home from school(I'm a teacher) now for 2 days and I'm bored.  We haven't had one of these for a while and a few models are hinting at some phasing forming a SLP over WV. This could add some enhancement throwing a bone to snow starved portions of the sub.  Let's go!  Pretty consistent message coming from the hi-res stuff. 

image.png.1faff6e873c96178c1d46fb36ca121b2.pngimage.png.bdec4e95e7975b289f6eeded176ef0da.pngimage.png.dcefa69b4b52aac78fcdcc228330a0ca.png

Here's the newest NWS snow map, which is sort of non-continuous around Toledo. It's much higher than the approximately 1" that last night's models were saying.

ndfd_48hsnow.us_mw.png

3 minutes ago, Chinook said:

Here's the newest NWS snow map, which is sort of non-continuous around Toledo. It's much higher than the approximately 1" that last night's models were saying.

ndfd_48hsnow.us_mw.png

Really questioning tonight's band of snow in the Toledo area.  Do you feel the RAP is accurate regarding a couple of inches by 11am Thursday.  Need to make decisions regarding school closures. 

2 hours ago, Frog Town said:

Really questioning tonight's band of snow in the Toledo area.  Do you feel the RAP is accurate regarding a couple of inches by 11am Thursday.  Need to make decisions regarding school closures. 

The GFS has about 0.1" QPF by 18z or 1:00PM, but the NAM 12km/3km have less, like 0.01" to 0.03" QPF by that time, but the HRRR gets snowier by 18z.  So I guess it's a bit of a battle of NAM vs everybody. It's been kind of a long time since I actually went down to the 0.01" values of QPF to actually care about something, because, you know, rain doesn't make a sheet of ice.

• Like 1

Tonight’s round looks less promising. 1” looks near the ceiling rather than the floor locally. Tomorrow remains more promising, but yet trends are a little iffy. 

Feeling there’s still a reasonable shot to eclipse the single event “record” of 2.4” for 23/24 season.

I’ll go T tonight & 2.9” with second round.