Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
At least it's something - Jan 16th Snow/Sleet/Ice OBS Thread

The 4 Seasons

8 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

Ya really weird, it's going 100% as planned what did they want a blizzard? BTW snow is picking b ack up nice dendrites as we speak . 8"

I’ve got two reports of 3” out of Mystic and Uncasville respectively. Westerly had a 1.9” report shortly after 7am.

3 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I looked back a couple pages and didn’t see what you’re seeing. “Radar looks bad” posts don’t equate to “bust”…seems like those were just commenting on what the radar looks like which ain’t great. 

We see it differently, which is ok. I didn’t say anyone was calling bust, but when the radar was modeled to look poor at this moment it’s not a surprise when it does.

I’m just saying let it play out folks—no need to warm up the football spike or gently rub the bust button. 

1 minute ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I’ve got two reports of 3” out of Mystic and Uncasville respectively. Westerly had a 1.9” report shortly after 7am.

We see it differently, which is ok. I didn’t say anyone was calling bust, but when the radar was modeled to look poor at this moment it’s not a surprise when it does.

I’m just saying let it play out folks—no need to warm up the football spike or gently rub the bust button. 

Rgem was all over those 2-3" reports out east , and less for the rest of the state by 7am .. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Maybe if he moved nw 50 miles 

He might get the QPF jackpot....someone NW of him will prob have 20 to 1 feathers for a while to get an official snowfall jackpot, but Ray's area might get 10 to 1 only a little less snowfall with more QPF. Might have to watch for CF enhancement aorund there later. Very tight CF sets up in NE MA today.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Snowing pretty good here now. Visibility dropping and flake size improving rapidly.

CC shows the mix line around the south shore of LI and curling up into extreme SE CT atm.

Screenshot 2024-01-16 080848.png

Everything is exactly on track for 2-5” statewide . Nothing has changed for days and days  . Some of these weenies lol

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

every school in CT closed for an inch of snow-it's like living in Atlanta GA

Can we stop with the why are schools closed? 

What did you want? Everyone to go into school at normal time only to freak out about the snow picking back up with icing imminent, then they call an early dismissal last second, you have to leave work and rush to get them while buses are driving through the hills at 12pm with moderate sleet and freezing rain falling with temps in the 20s? Ya that woulda been a great idea.. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

What did you want? Everyone to go into school at normal time only to freak out about the snow picking back up with icing imminent, then they call an early dismissal last second, you have to leave work and rush to get them while buses are driving through the hills at 12pm with moderate sleet and freezing rain falling with temps in the 20s? Ya that woulda been a great idea.. 

Yeah.  I wouldn't be shocked if they sent us home early today, which is the worst of all possible outcomes.

We make em up in the end so not sure why everyone pounds their chest "back in my day...."

We had a friend lose their kid due to a bad call

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Yeah.  I wouldn't be shocked if they sent us home early today, which is the worst of all possible outcomes.

We make em up in the end so not sure why everyone pounds their chest "back in my day...."

back in my day...schools would be closed just like they are today. And im talking early 2000s, this aint nothin new. Plus the roads are shit with temps in the mid 20s with sleet and freezing rain incoming.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Exactly.  Region 14 here has a pop-op on the website alerting to the school closure, and right under that they remind parents, kids, and teachers what the updated end date has been revised to in June.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

Some folks don’t understand the whole picture.  If we woke up to what we did, and the storm was ending…then surely we didn’t need a cancellation.  But the timing and the forecast was such that the storm is forecasted to continue through the day, with more snow and potential icing…especially inland. It was a smart call for most.  Maybe where he is way down in Greenwich, it’s just wet?