Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 15-16 Storm Thread 3: Obs and Disco

stormtracker

1 minute ago, diatae said:

27/27 but the lowlands don't care about temps without a bribe or a sacrifice.

That batch of precip is just arriving here in what I will call the midlands as tiny flakes.  Yep I just coined my own region geography and I am sticking with it…probably not even a word 

• Haha 1

Finished with four inches. Things are gorgeous outside. Had two at 10:00 last night so was hoping last night would be more productive but I did see that post from wxmpete right before turning in that there were indications of poor snow growth conditions in terms of flakes and i am guessing that limited things. 

still, happy to be on the board - but still waiting on first verified winter storm warning for me personally since January 2016. On to the next one - (and on to a joyful morning walk with the dogs).

• Like 4

Just now, Solution Man said:

I like that, am I a high midlandander?

Sure.  Especially if you hit the Mary Jane as you post.  You can put high in front of anything.  My job doesn’t allow for me to be high, but I would consider it if it did.. 

• Haha 2

Just measured 3.5”

Im sure there’s been compaction but sticking with what I got. 

my goal was 2”, my hope was 4”. Got the middle. I’ll take it. It was so fun to walk in it and everything looks awesome

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

Sure.  Especially if you hit the Mary Jane as you post.  You can put high in front of anything.  My job doesn’t allow for me to be high, but I would consider it if it did.. 

cannot do it either, clearance related, but when I retire…perhaps

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

That batch of precip is just arriving here in what I will call the midlands as tiny flakes.  Yep I just coined my own region geography and I am sticking with it…probably not even a word 

This Midlands and High Midlands sound like proper snow towns. We shall pray for tiny flakes. :D

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

Brother, are we in the lowlands?

3 hours ago, Deck Pic said:

Ended up becoming sleet/snow pellets.  ETA: There's an ever so slight warm nose at 875mb.  I don't see it affecting people when there are good rates.  If you go to Precip Depiction/Correlation Coefficient you can see the mix line just into DC

Final Ob of night

28/27, -SN/IP, 4"

Currently 29, with generally 4" around the house. Definitely looks compacted in some areas, and front pavements and driveway are just wet in spots...given how good we were ripping around 1-2 a.m. before I crashed, looks like we also got also got a slug of that sleet or ZR here.

Will be interesting to see what precip type that slug of moisture coming up from the southwest drops and if it continues to expand. Looks mostly like a 95 and east type deal. Was pretty surprised when I woke up and saw I didn't really pick up any additional accumulations after midnight. Seemed like the winter storm warning jinxed it lol. I thought I would tack on at least a couple of inches after midnight from just very light, steady snow if nothing else. Seems like the GFS did pretty well with this one. NAM and some of the mesos, unless we get his this morning with more accumulation, were a little too bullish.

• Like 1

First light and my 6 yo rescued puppers isn’t quite sure what this POWDAH is ,… LOL.

several 4” lollies at 3 separate places. The official deck is 3.85” with some sleet crunch compaction. Gorgeous view … missed it! 

27F/77%RH

1001 mb pressure 

wind - calm 

loc: NE MD - extreme NE Cecil County -New London Road (border PA/MD/DE)

IMG_8470-compressed.jpeg

IMG_8467-compressed.jpeg

• Like 7

26 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Believe @Mrs.J said Frederick was already closed today.

Yep. We had a scheduled teacher work day for end of term2/1st semester for final grades. Teachers just got notice they can do grading from home if they cannot get in. We have tomorrow off as well for a Professional day for teachers. 

My kid at AU also sent a message that campus is closed. And that professors will be in contact about online class if they choose. That will help as quite a lot of students who were to fly to get back to campus for the start of the Spring Semester today had canceled flights and won’t be able to get to campus by today. 
IMG_0273.thumb.png.87d5d38e2ecf0ca9a3f071b40480525c.png

• Like 1