• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Snow Friday 1/19/24: is it a period of light snow (less than 2"), or is there a chance of a 5" swath in part of the NYC subforum? Event OBS.

wdrag

I am looking at the radar but hard to tell how far north those heavier bands are actually getting,,,,,,anyone know the answer ? BTW once it began it never stopped snowing here in New City and it is just now starting to stick on surfaces that were treated / in the street on the blacktop

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Crazy . Blitzing down here. Everything is covered.

It really is crazy. As Stormlover said, the snow isn't even sticking to the car tops here. I guess it shows that sun angle can be an issue if you only have light snow with the temp only a few degrees below freezing. I never would've imagined that we'd have non accumulating snow here today while you're getting an inch on everything just a few miles to my south. Glad you guys are getting something though ... enjoy it! Looks as if it's gonna be a bust up here in the extreme nortthern part of Middlesex County. Can't believe I'm under a WWA for 2 to 4 inches. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

It really is crazy. As Stormlover said, the snow isn't even sticking to the car tops here. I guess it shows that sun angle can be an issue if you only have light snow with the temp only a few degrees below freezing. I never would've imagined that we'd have non accumulating snow here today while you're getting an inch on everything just a few miles to my south. Glad you guys are getting something though ... enjoy it! Looks as if it's gonna be a bust up here in the extreme nortthern part of Middlesex County. Can't believe I'm under a WWA for 2 to 4 inches. 

I have a quarter inch on old snow otherwise not sticking to anything else

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

Only sticking to colder surfaces. Pavement and car just wet

Who would've thought that this steady light snow isn't even sticking to car tops. Like I just said to Allsnow, this is a real surprise. Going to be interesting to see if we can get some accumulation this afternoon. You'd think we'd be able to get a little. 

• Like 1

0.7" new as of 11am.  Pure fluff!  Short range models last night hinted at the possibility of this burst along the north shore.  I looked at the "max" snow map on HRRR just for giggles and it showed a max right where the decent snows along the north shore have been this morning.  I didn't place much stock in the map totals, but the relative placement of them can be interesting.

28° with moderate snow now at 11:30.  We're close to that first inch.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

Who would've thought that this steady light snow isn't even sticking to car tops. Like I just said to Allsnow, this is a real surprise. Going to be interesting to see if we can get some accumulation this afternoon. You'd think we'd be able to get a little. 

I hate to say it but sun angle lol. Need heavier rates even with a temp of 29

It is borderline moderate right now

• Like 1

Rates have really picked up on barnegat bay.  Secondary roads ate mainly covered.   Treated primary roads have some slush on them now.  Spoke to my parents in Salem County and they have puking snow right now.  

Inland of me looks to be cashing in good. 

• Weenie 1

3 minutes ago, dseagull said:

Rates have really picked up on barnegat bay.  Secondary roads ate mainly covered.   Treated primary roads have some slush on them now.  Spoke to my parents in Salem County and they have puking snow right now.  

Inland of me looks to be cashing in good. 

Im in the nw bronx and it's raking here.everything is getting covered..the radar looks good to our west too,more bands developing along i95.

• Like 1

Just now, Stormlover74 said:

I hate to say it but sun angle lol. Need heavier rates even with a temp of 29

Yep exactly. Obviously we need it to bump up to moderate snow to get accumulation on other surfaces (besides just old snow) during the middle of the day here. I'm surprised ... I didn't think temps/sun angle would be an issue for light snow today. 

• Like 1