• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan Medium/Long Range Disco 2: Total Obliteration is Coming

Jebman

If we believe in the NW shift that’s a pretty sweet spot to be in at this point no?
This isn't a nw shift thing. We need the sw to dig more south and west and be allowed room to amplify before its too late

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

• Like 4

1 minute ago, CAPE said:

GEFS continues to advertise a favorable Pacific look in the LR. Long way out but there is a signal for a storm involving southern stream energy in the flow under the western ridge.

1706551200-fronYL0Ux4c.png

1706551200-9vTpJChj8SU.png

Looks maybe as if the warm up will be brief.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wonderdog said:

I'm more interested in the Miller B on the 19th somehow impacting our region.

You serious Clark?  Miller B…the B stands for ball buster.  IDK if I have the chops to pursue that scenario.  I’m getting old and impatient.  I should move to Buffalo!

10 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

You serious Clark?  Miller B…the B stands for ball buster.  IDK if I have the chops to pursue that scenario.  I’m getting old and impatient.  I should move to Buffalo!

My advice is to stop labeling potential storms Miller A, B, Z whatever. It's an oversimplification(and plain wrong in many cases) and some here seem to have an actual phobia of MILLER B. Not useful in the synoptic discussion.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

At least you know you’d always have lake effect. I graduated from the university of buffalo and it’s honestly like nothing else. 2-4” of snow per hour, sometimes higher - thunder snow at times from these bands and insane winds. That band is easily 3-4” per hour. And they have another SW wind driven LES event comes Tuesday - Wednesday which is typically a long-fetch high impact event. The best place to move around there is the southtowns. Orchard Park where the Bills play is a prime spot down to around Fredonia. 176abe38107c521e142fa4572b7fc3ca.jpg
  • Like 4

Just for fun:

:o

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Buffalo NY
325 AM EST Sun Jan 14 2024

Northern Erie-Genesee-Wyoming-Southern Erie- Including the cities of Buffalo, Batavia, Warsaw, Orchard Park, and Springville 325 AM EST Sun Jan 14 2024

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 AM EST MONDAY...

* WHAT...Heavy lake effect snow and blowing snow. Additional snow accumulations of 10 to 20 inches in the most persistent lake snows, with storm totals 1 to 2 feet. Local amounts of 2 to 3 feet possible across the Buffalo southtowns, where bands will persist the longest. Winds gusting as high as 50 mph, with near blizzard conditions at times today.

• Weenie 2

36 minutes ago, jayyy said:

At least you know you’d always have lake effect. I graduated from the university of buffalo and it’s honestly like nothing else. 2-4” of snow per hour, sometimes higher - thunder snow at times from these bands and insane winds. That band is easily 3-4” per hour. And they have another SW wind driven LES event comes Tuesday - Wednesday which is typically a long-fetch high impact event. The best place to move around there is the southtowns. Orchard Park where the Bills play is a prime spot down to around Fredonia. 

Having grown up in northeast Ohio, I completely agree with you!  There is really nothing else like a major lake effect event when they hammer you.  I've experienced those 2-4" bands (or more!) and whiteout conditions, as well as thunder-snow.  Northeast Ohio doesn't get as much as Buffalo, simply because Buffalo gets a much longer fetch off Lake Erie (so they'll be in those bands more or less for hours, even days!), but still.  We'd occasionally get some added bands off Lake Huron if the wind direction was right.  It's really cool!!!  Also, lake effect nearly always provided "extra" snow on top of synoptic events at the end, and would give you snow even after rain once it got cold and the winds shifted behind a front.

1 minute ago, BlizzardNole said:

OT; I work with a guy that grew up just N of Buffalo.  He told me once he drove to the southtowns and went from dry ground to over a foot and heavy snow in just a few miles.  Did his errand and went back home to partly sunny and dry ground.  That's bats!

Yup...you can get crazy snow gradients from those events.  You can go from mostly clear and wet roads to a blizzard in almost no time.  I recall seeing cars come in from the "main" snowbelt of NE Ohio with a several inch or so slab of snow on the roof when all the vehicles around them were dry (I think they left it there to "show off!"  LOL!!!).

16 minutes ago, BlizzardNole said:

OT; I work with a guy that grew up just N of Buffalo.  He told me once he drove to the southtowns and went from dry ground to over a foot and heavy snow in just a few miles.  Did his errand and went back home to partly sunny and dry ground.  That's bats!

Lake effect is the best.  If you set up under one of the bands it's just nonstop dumpage, you don't have to worry about any other setup type bullshit that we have to stress about down here.  As long as you're downwind...it's all good.  I prefer the keewenaw peninsula because it just sticks out into lake Superior and gets blasted.  If my wife ever divorces me I think that's where I'll retreat to.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BristowWx said:

If we score 6-8 inches from a Miller B,C, or Q, it's like taking it to the man.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic