Newest Member
    CHSVol
Jan Medium/Long Range Disco 2: Total Obliteration is Coming

Jebman

Just for fun:

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Buffalo NY
325 AM EST Sun Jan 14 2024
Northern Erie-Genesee-Wyoming-Southern Erie- Including the cities of Buffalo, Batavia, Warsaw, Orchard Park, and Springville 325 AM EST Sun Jan 14 2024
...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 AM EST MONDAY...
* WHAT...Heavy lake effect snow and blowing snow. Additional snow accumulations of 10 to 20 inches in the most persistent lake snows, with storm totals 1 to 2 feet. Local amounts of 2 to 3 feet possible across the Buffalo southtowns, where bands will persist the longest. Winds gusting as high as 50 mph, with near blizzard conditions at times today.

687d42977643781c0c397d46bd24e4fa.jpg
My friend shared this this morning from Hamburg NY. Absolute blizzard out there with 3-4” per hour rates
  • Like 3

OT; I work with a guy that grew up just N of Buffalo.  He told me once he drove to the southtowns and went from dry ground to over a foot and heavy snow in just a few miles.  Did his errand and went back home to partly sunny and dry ground.  That's bats!

All. The. Damn. Time. The main campus for university at buffalo is in Amherst, which is a north town. They’d get 3-6” sometimes more on the northern edge of band. Or there’d be times we’d get zero and 5 miles south near south campus in buffalo would have 18”. It goes from blizzard conditions to sunny conditions outside those bands. It’s incredible.

There is a model war going on between the gefs and eps for Feb 1-15. Both end up the same place the second half of Feb but the eps says Feb 1-15 is workable. Not great but decent. Gefs is a shit the blinds look Feb1-15. 

Another “odd” thing is despite the great looking pattern on the eps the snow means remain low. Below avg even for after this next 10 days!  I’ve been looking at the control runs the last 5 days to try to see why. They have matched the mean h5 look so that was helpful. For whatever reason the storm track was just to our northwest every time a significant wave came along despite what was otherwise a great pattern.  Aleutian low. Epo ridge. -nao. Lower heights in the Atlantic. Storm track was either suppressed (I don’t mean snow south of us I mean the waves get washed out) or if amplified to our north. This isn’t a one day thing it’s been a consistent theme for a week.  I don’t make too much of those long range snow means but I’d prefer they match the pattern. It’s odd with a h5 that says the mid atlantic should be the target the models still are saying it’s the upper Midwest to northern New England.  Maybe others have a theory why. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

There is a model war going on between the gefs and eps for Feb 1-15. Both end up the same place the second half of Feb but the eps says Feb 1-15 is workable. Not great but decent. Gefs is a shit the blinds look Feb1-15. 

Another “odd” thing is despite the great looking pattern on the eps the snow means remain low. Below avg even for after this next 10 days!  I’ve been looking at the control runs the last 5 days to try to see why. They have matched the mean h5 look so that was helpful. For whatever reason the storm track was just to our northwest every time a significant wave came along despite what was otherwise a great pattern.  Aleutian low. Epo ridge. -nao. Lower heights in the Atlantic. Storm track was either suppressed (I don’t mean snow south of us I mean the waves get in washed out) or if amplified to our north. This isn’t a one day thing it’s been a consistent theme for a week.  I don’t make too much of those long range snow means but I’d prefer they march the pattern. It’s odd with a h5 that says the mid atlantic should be the target the models still are saying it’s the upper Mideast to northern New England.  Maybe others have a theory why. 

I think someone pointed out (maybe it was you?) that EPS has been doing much better in the long range than gefs this winter. 

27 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Another “odd” thing is despite the great looking pattern on the eps the snow means remain low. Below avg even for after this next 10 days!  I’ve been looking at the control runs the last 5 days to try to see why. They have matched the mean h5 look so that was helpful. For whatever reason the storm track was just to our northwest every time a significant wave came along despite what was otherwise a great pattern.  Aleutian low. Epo ridge. -nao. Lower heights in the Atlantic. Storm track was either suppressed (I don’t mean snow south of us I mean the waves get in washed out) or if amplified to our north. This isn’t a one day thing it’s been a consistent theme for a week.  I don’t make too much of those long range snow means but I’d prefer they march the pattern. It’s odd with a h5 that says the mid atlantic should be the target the models still are saying it’s the upper Mideast to northern New England.  Maybe others have a theory why. 

I hope the EPS is a lot more than workable during the first 15 days of February. That’s when we need the mint pattern to crush us. Haven’t had many big storms later than that.

2 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Def some coast enhancement tho from 126-132

If she was just a bit more negatively titled, we'd be in business. Gets enhanced in areas like an inv trough would. We're in the ballgame, this run didn't change much. Just gotta get it a little deeper. Definitely some potential and bigger upside of course. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic