Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan Medium/Long Range Disco 2: Total Obliteration is Coming

Jebman

2 minutes ago, winter_warlock said:

Oh man i remember those back to back storms in 87.  Had 6 foot drifts going up  my moms back deck lol

In hindsight, that was a helluva snow year lol...though Feb 87 is what my UN is named after.  I remember that storm like it was yesterday.  Just an outstanding, fluke snow blitz.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Heisy said:

Look how the wave near the dakotas backed up. That would allow for more phasing once it tries to turn the corner. On top of that the tpv press isn’t as strong

5a1298dd1e0e3726539e5fbc6fb8f54e.gif

Confluence slightly better once again. 

17 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Amazing this look has been showing since I noted the gfs had hints of it on Jan 5! And we tend to bash these models more often than not.

I remember thunder snow with the first storm in 1987.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, 87storms said:

In hindsight, that was a helluva snow year lol...though Feb 87 is what my UN is named after.  I remember that storm like it was yesterday.  Just an outstanding, fluke snow blitz.

Some would complain. I remember after that Feb storm I traveled from near Philly to Harpers Ferry for my cousin’s baptism. We left the day after the storm early morning. By the time we got to WV there was nothing but patches in shade left. I remember I said to my uncle “we had a foot of snow I’m surprised you didn’t get as much” and he said “we had 18” but it all melted today it was so warm”. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Some would complain. I remember after that Feb storm I traveled from near Philly to Harpers Ferry for my cousin’s baptism. We left the day after the storm early morning. By the time we got to WV there was nothing but patches in shade left. I remember I said to my uncle “we had a foot of snow I’m surprised you didn’t get as much” and he said “we had 18” but it all melted today it was so warm”. 

I just remember being in awe at the size of the flakes through my window at night.  I probably snuck downstairs to turn on our patio light about 10x lol.  It was basically a long duration snow squall.  I also think we were out of school for at least part of that week due to power outages.

18z euro There are too many moving parts for me to project much. But the SW that becomes the kicker on the 12z is weaker. The wave we’re watching is hanging back a bit more and the tpv is slightly less suppressive.  So all good trends. But how much difference it would have made I don’t know. Remember the 12z op was pretty awful. It had almost no wave at all so we needed more than subtle improvements. It ended too soon to say. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I already cancelled next winter.  -PDO +QBO past solar max Nina. You don’t want the analogs to that. Just focus on the next 2 months!  

Yeah, so have I. I don’t know if I’ll even bother doing a full outlook for it unless either enso or pdo suddenly flip. Maybe a 4 bullet point outlook with a one-liner statement instead of a 30 page report. 

I’ll probably invest that time into planning a winter trip out west. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Amazing this look has been showing since I noted the gfs had hints of it on Jan 5! And we tend to bash these models more often than not.

Those twin systems in Jan '87 were so awesome. I was 16 at the time, living in Springfield. :)

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Terpeast said:

Back to jan 16-17, I’ll see what tonight’s NWS AFDs have to say. Will be interesting to see how much stock they put into the 12z euro

We seem to be on a precip heater...that's the main reason I'm bullish.  I noticed last night there was a flood warning along the Monacacy, which isn't surprising because creeks around Gambrill have been flowing nicely since the last gully washer.  I'm actually right next to an extension of Carroll Creek and even that's flowing again.

@psuhoffmanThe 1/22/87 was one of my favorites. I think you're few years younger than me so I'm not sure how much you remember about the storm and the forecast leading up to it. My best recollection was that it was poorly forecasted. I believe there was a lot of uncertainty right up to game time. Most calls for the Baltimore area was for 2-4 with some 3-6 with a change to rain. Pretty sure schools started out with a 2 hour delay then changed to closed.  By mid-morning light snow transitioned into heavy snow. By noon temperatures began falling making it evident there would be no changeover. Snow remained heavy hour after hour. Rates were at least 2 inches an hour at times. There was thunder snow during the afternoon. NWS played catch up all day. 3-6 became 4-8 then 6-12 and finally 12-18.  Snow tapered off by evening with totals where I lived 1 mile north of the beltway in Pikesville/Owings Mills in the 16-18 range. BWI was officially 12. Phenomenal storm which for me had scaled down similarities to the 83 storm. 83 was colder and of course had much higher totals but 87 was similar in duration and sustained snowfall intensity rates. Also heck of an arctic shot behind the storm which led to perhaps one of the driest snows I've ever experienced just 3 days later on Superbowl Sunday. That follow-up storm gave me about 6 of cold smoke powder. Our current area was probably fringed a bit lol. with 4 or so. Just to the south and southeast got much heavier amounts. Great little stretch of intense winter that would essentially be it for the winter other than the Feb. 87 wet snow paste job.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

That is exactly as it happened.   14" in Front Royal overnight.  All gone by evening that day.  Schools open the following day.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic