• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 11-13th Blizzard

Looking like I could be in for a historic blizzard here in Alpena. Atleast a foot and 50mph winds. A storm of my dreams! Going to prepare tomorrow. Idk what to even expect for drifts! 
Screenshot_20240111-163700.thumb.png.667de89a06a7b0e195af37742bb24a69.png

Post pics! Our cabin is in Lewiston and I am watching through our surveillance cameras. Hope our power and internet hold up!

1 minute ago, mollydog said:

Post pics! Our cabin is in Lewiston and I am watching through our surveillance cameras. Hope our power and internet hold up!

If I had a cabin up there I would be on my way right now!! :mapsnow:

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

The GFS appears way overdone for southern Iowa.

Oh come on you suppose to say "finally a model showing the big dog properly"   :popcorn: ;)

Does look like you have a very good chance of a second double digit storm in a week :snowwindow: :thumbsup:

some of the Hi-Res CAMs keep daytime snow around here much lower and accumulations only reaching 5-7" in total.  did some model sounding investigation and one main difference is much weaker omega in the CAMs. Verbatim the NAMs would give us a really good chance at thundersnow.  

One negative factor is that after the initial 3 hour burst the DGZ gets really shallow due to strong WAA and it doesn't really recover until the very tail end.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

FWIW, GFS seems a touch south and east 

I actually felt like it came nw. Has kind of a barrel double low then one takes over further east. Nam/rap/hrrr were hinting at this at times. Maybe they were right. The snow gradient across Peoria County is comical. 

1 minute ago, Radtechwxman said:

I actually felt like it came nw. Has kind of a barrel double low then one takes over further east. Nam/rap/hrrr were hinting at this at times. Maybe they were right. The snow gradient across Peoria County is comical. 

Would be wild if it played out as progged on the GFS. Downtown and the riverfront get 2-3” while the north side of the metro has 8-12”

1 minute ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

Would be wild if it played out as progged on the GFS. Downtown and the riverfront get 2-3” while the north side of the metro has 8-12”

Gradients and cutoffs are going to be wild with this. I look to be very close to one. My forecast is 0-6in based on latest model runs. 

1 hour ago, King James said:

Chicago crew - Skilling has a ton of content regarding this storm on his FB page

Skilling deserves a monster blizzard before his retirement. I was in school up in Chicago for the 1999 storm and it was just a dream scenario for winter weather lovers: 21 inches of snow followed by -15 air temps and -40 windchills.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, mollydog said:

It is sooooo tempting!!!! Unfortunately we have obligations that keep us home this weekend. Heading up next weekend!

Bummer.  I would burn a vacation day if I had established accommodations up there.