• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 6-7 Storm Discussion: we’re due?

WxUSAF

All should be hoping for a bit more southern and eastern track.   To my uneducated eye , at the rate it is moving north and west  It  may only be the western side and pioints west  of the blue ridge having snow. Just sayin…

The models are not "trending" or bouncing around so much as the operationals are simply randomly popping out solutions that fall within the still existing camps if you examine their ensembles.   One solution has now been completely eliminated and that was the phased amplified system with a primary into the Ohio valley.  That idea is pretty much dead.  But within the ensembles there are still 3 camps left.  We want the middle ground.  But it's well within probabilities for 2 or 3 operational models to pull a solution from the same camp (like last night) but its just random chance.  The 3 camps still left

A. A little too much amplitude and lingering primary and the main snow shield goes just NW of us.  This is a messy one with not a lot of snow for anyone because the primary is weak, the phased amplified solution is gone.  But this would take a lighter snow event up into PA. 

B.  The in between option, GFS and GGEM op solutions from 0z and 12z.  No primary at all, coastal is just amplified enough to produce a thump snow targeting just NW of the fall line 

C. A weak sheared out mess with no significant snow anywhere.  This solution might target DC south with the best qpf but it won't work with the marginal temps.  

The 6z EPS took a move towards Camp B but there was still a mix of all 3.  

GEFS is still a mix of all 3.  

GEPS is all option A and B.  

I don't think the models have trended yet, they seem to still just be pulling random options from within these established goalposts run to run.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, HighStakes said:

That was a really nice storm for the suburbs especially for so early in the season. I got a storm total of 12 in Reisterstown. 7 with the initial wave and about 5 from the coastal. I'm pretty sure areas just west of the beltway from Randallstown over to Ellicott City did the best with the first round with some 8-10 inch amounts. 

I wish I measured during that storm. It was probably similar in my location, I remember it really coming down hard in the early morning hours with a lot more snow than most were expecting. Then it changed to rain for some time. Then the overnight coastal.

Probably the biggest December storm I’ve seen until 2009.

57 minutes ago, hstorm said:

I will take this as gospel with our 340' elevation.  More seriously and on topic, agree that past experience suggests a significant NW/SE FFX county gradient in NoVA.

Ha, I saw that post and decided I would check my elevation since I only moved here a few years ago. Elevation map claims I am at 457 feet, which I find hard to believe. Anyway, I think this is the first storm where I could really potentially see how much my location helps vs. being along 95. I'm right off of Route 40 a few miles before it dead ends into I-70.

I’ve seen the option C in the ensemble mix (I think based on snow maps posted), but not sure any op run has pulled that out (yet). Ops seem to be switching between A and B or some blend between them. Let hope Euro can pull a B here…

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wtkidz said:

All should be hoping for a bit more southern and eastern track.   To my uneducated eye , at the rate it is moving north and west  It  may only be the western side and pioints west  of the blue ridge having snow. Just sayin…

Some of us live there and don’t want anything to do with further south and east. Just sayin ..

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Fozz said:

I wish I measured during that storm. It was probably similar in my location, I remember it really coming down hard in the early morning hours with a lot more snow than most were expecting. Then it changed to rain for some time. Then the overnight coastal.

Probably the biggest December storm I’ve seen until 2009.

I went to my friends birthday party in Cockeysville/Hunt Valley the night after the storm and the snow depth was about the same as in Reisterstown.

1 minute ago, WxUSAF said:

I’ve seen the option C in the ensemble mix (I think based on snow maps posted), but not sure any op run has pulled brag out (yet). Ops seem to be switching between A and B or some blend between them. Let hope Euro can pull a B here…

Another option is a bomb over the outer banks that can create a scenario of heavy snow that can overcome marginal temps. I’m hanging my hat on that one lol

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

I’ve seen the option C in the ensemble mix (I think based on snow maps posted), but not sure any op run has pulled that out (yet). Ops seem to be switching between A and B or some blend between them. Let hope Euro can pull a B here…

NAM had that solution.  Ya I know the NAM lol.  I think it's likely going to be something from A or B, or maybe a compromise between the two.  But C is lurking if there is any additional de amplification trend in the STJ wave.  

Just now, DDweatherman said:

It’s only ever right when it’s by itself when it shows a bad solution. It doesn’t agree with the consensus of other models, but it isn’t what we wanted to see…

1704603600-EaNQGfZi3yw.png

flips back to snow at the end but not nearly as good as other models - tough sledding in D.C (literally)

• Sad 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic