• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to Long Range Discussion ~ 2024

6 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

How so? It looks decent to me. Cold air boundary moving south with reinforcements over time

There is going to be more SE ridging I think in the 2/11/-2/15 period than many think.  I feel some felt 2/13-2/15 would become prime time, and maybe for those in  NYC or BOS it could have chances but for the SE you probably are looking at 2/17 or so.  

25 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

How so? It looks decent to me. Cold air boundary moving south with reinforcements over time

For the SE, the last few days of the 12Z GFS don’t look good at 500 mb for sustained cold air. Too zonal imo. And then up at Chicago and MSP, the coldest was an AN mid 20s. Most of the recent runs looked better to me. 

It doesn’t matter much because it is just the low accuracy late GFS and the 12Z GEFS looks better at H5 and is similar to recent GEFS.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

There is going to be more SE ridging I think in the 2/11/-2/15 period than many think.  I feel some felt 2/13-2/15 would become prime time, and maybe for those in  NYC or BOS it could have chances but for the SE you probably are looking at 2/17 or so.  

I’ve been thinking “prime time” winter storm opportunities in the SE wouldn’t likely start til ~2/18-19 but with colder dominating starting ~2/15.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, GaWx said:

I’ve been thinking “prime time” winter storm opportunities in the SE wouldn’t likely start til ~2/18-19 but with colder dominating starting ~2/15.

Yeah, I don’t think the prime time starts until after 2/15 anyway. The week before that appears to more of a transition period

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That 10-12th period has the potential to challenge some record warmth. That’s a beast of a HP over the Bahamas and as of now it looks like there will be a lot of sun during that hard southerly flow. Wouldn’t surprise me to see some temps close to 80 with that look

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, NorthHillsWx said:

That 10-12th period has the potential to challenge some record warmth. That’s a beast of a HP over the Bahamas and as of now it looks like there will be a lot of sun during that hard southerly flow. Wouldn’t surprise me to see some temps close to 80 with that look

Might enjoy the break if we are tracking a good one inside 7 days at that point

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lilj4425 said:

Where did everybody go? 

It's been 750 or more days since most of us has been able to enjoy accumulating snow. The next 10 days is going to be spring like. Most people are in the prove it stage with the possible "good" pattern. We were told it was game on from January 15th on. Here we are on Feb 1 with no snow for most of the region and none in sight for at least 2 weeks. 

It's also rained over 10 inches for most of the area that past month. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, wncsnow said:

It's been 750 or more days since most of us has been able to enjoy accumulating snow. The next 10 days is going to be spring like. Most people are in the prove it stage with the possible "good" pattern. We were told it was game on from January 15th on. Here we are on Feb 1 with no snow for most of the region and none in sight for at least 2 weeks. 

It's also rained over 10 inches for most of the area that past month. 

That about sums it up!

• Thanks 1

Finally made it to South Dakota this week and yes I saw some old snow patches on the ground.  But I have also been working outside in a short sleeve shirt under some beautiful blue skies and a little pink on my face from the sun.  No cold in sight here either.  Maybe we'll have a March Miracle.  But Fab Feb is done before it ever got started.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

38 minutes ago, UnionCountyNCWX said:

Brad P when someone says how exciting the upcoming pattern looks on his FB page - "Not really." 

he’s probably seeing the same cutters we’re all seeing on the models. It’s been a great winter for the Tennessee Valley and weather has a memory. 

Sometimes I feel like long range tracking is a bit like surfing. You're waiting for that perfect wave to come along, big enough, breaks at the right angle and where you're at. Sometimes you look off in the distance and see what looks like the perfect wave. It's all coming together. But at the last minute you realize it's just a swell that doesn't really break, or it peters out. Some days you're out there and wave after wave just doesn't break the way you need it too. You think you're unlucky at first, but after a while you realize, without a shift of the wind, or moving to a different location, all the waves are going to break that way.

We need that proverbial wind shift and if it never comes, we all need to move to buffalo.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, UnionCountyNCWX said:

Interesting indeed. (Man, we suck.)

The issue here is “tons of arctic air” that never made it over the mountains. Nashville over there sitting below 0 with 6” of snow and stuck below freezing for a week while we made it to 18 one night. We suck so much 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, kvegas-wx said:

Finally made it to South Dakota this week and yes I saw some old snow patches on the ground.  But I have also been working outside in a short sleeve shirt under some beautiful blue skies and a little pink on my face from the sun.  No cold in sight here either.  Maybe we'll have a March Miracle.  But Fab Feb is done before it ever got started.

image.gif.2aa3cc5502e529dbcaab98b72a976ab4.gif

Per the latest model consensus, there’s a very good chance that the PNA for the 2nd half of Feb (2/15-29) will average +0.5+ and the AO will average sub -1. The following El Niño 2nd half of Febs met both of those conditions:

1988, 1983, 1978, 1977, 1970, 1964, 1958

So, during 1957-1988, 7 of the 13 El Niños met both of these. But interestingly the subsequent 10 didn’t. So, 2024 would be the first of the last 11. How did those 7 last half of Febs play out at RDU in terms of temperature anomaly and snowfall?

1988: -3/0.0”

1983: -3/0.4”

1978: -11/5.6”

1977: -3/1.5”

1970: -7/T

1964: -9/2.0”

1958: -9/3.0”

AVG: -6/1.8”

So, temps were BN 4 times and MBN 3 times. Snowfall was AN for all 3 MBN temperatures and BN for 3 of the 4 BN temperatures. The average was BN for temperatures and AN for snowfall.

• Like 3
  • Weenie 3

1 hour ago, GaWx said:

Per the latest model consensus, there’s a very good chance that the PNA for the 2nd half of Feb (2/15-29) will average +0.5+ and the AO will average sub -1. The following El Niño 2nd half of Febs met both of those conditions:

So, during 1957-1988, 7 of the 13 El Niños met both of these. But interestingly the subsequent 10 didn’t. So, 2024 would be the first of the last 11. How did those 7 last half of Febs play out at RDU in terms of temperature anomaly and snowfall?

So, temps were BN 4 times and MBN 3 times. Snowfall was AN for all 3 MBN temperatures and BN for 3 of the 4 BN temperatures. The average was BN for temperatures and AN for snowfall.

2024: +TBD/0.0”

I’m calling it. Jokes aside, we’re going to have to see Ops start to pick up on something soon or this period is cooked. Maybe we get BN but it takes much more than that to snow and it’s either going to start to be sniffed out or we’re onto spring (most probably already are)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GaWx said:

78 and 83 were pretty memorable in the upstate of SC

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Upstate Tiger said:

78 and 83 were pretty memorable in the upstate of SC

1. Tiger, also, 1964 was good and 1958 was great.

2. Come to papa (from 12Z GEFS)(GEPS similar) as at a minimum the ducks are on the pond.

Look at all of the lows (red) in the Gulf:

IMG_9075.png

Along with a cold SE helped by -AO:

IMG_9076.thumb.png.dbb69d99955115287f59ed7b17e55530.png

Check out the split flow along with 50/50 low (helps hold cold in longer) just off the NE corner of the image:

IMG_9077.thumb.png.7458cb524ae3460936cbba80a76680d3.png

And if the period just after this doesn’t workout, the new Euro Weeklies are suggesting within the following week for an opportunity.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1