• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Discobs 2024

George BM

If the Euro's right, we pop a +30F above normal day on Friday.  GFS keeps the boundary more to the south.  When was the last -30F below normal day at any time?  Quick glance...the pre-Xmas December 2022 cold shot didn't do it.  No days in February 2015 reached that (although almost).  January 1994 got a -35F departure at DCA.  Anything since then?  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

If the Euro's right, we pop a +30F above normal day on Friday.  GFS keeps the boundary more to the south.  When was the last -30F below normal day at any time?  Quick glance...the pre-Xmas December 2022 cold shot didn't do it.  No days in February 2015 reached that (although almost).  January 1994 got a -35F departure at DCA.  Anything since then?  

yeah I was thinking 94.  Maybe some day in 96?

2 hours ago, MillvilleWx said:

40° at my place this morning. Let’s see how high we can climb on my commute out of the valley. Stay tuned. 

40F at my place, 56F near Mt Airy, 45-50F along 32, and a general upper 40s in the beltway. That higher elevation stretch on 70 was wild

• Like 2

I must be living the 'sheltered' life. I see LOTS of 50's thru almost 70 for yesterday. I was stuck in low 40's all day with very thick fog and drizzle! Currently fog and drizzle (as last almost 24 hours) and 43.0/41.9. My high for past 24 hours was 44.7. I checked, both Covington CO-ops in low/mid 40's along with White Sulphur Springs and Lewisburg in WV for their high. Strange.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, wxdude64 said:

I must be living the 'sheltered' life. I see LOTS of 50's thru almost 70 for yesterday. I was stuck in low 40's all day with very thick fog and drizzle! Currently fog and drizzle (as last almost 24 hours) and 43.0/41.9. My high for past 24 hours was 44.7. I checked, both Covington CO-ops in low/mid 40's along with White Sulphur Springs and Lewisburg in WV for their high. Strange.  

The snowpack in those mountains around you kept you in the refrigerator.

14 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

made me 'check' lol. I have 2 -35's, both in Jan. First was 1/21/85 with a 8 high and -19 low. Second was 1/19/94 with a 9 high and -17 low. That week (1/15-1/22/94) was MOST impressive, I ran a -25 average thru that period with 6 out of seven nights below zero.  

EDIT, missed at least one. Christmas Day 1983, -35 avg, 9 high, -10 low. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The commute down 83 was a foggy hell. 15 mph on average bumper to bumper for 27 miles.

snowpack still on my back hill that doesn’t get as much sun. I’m not a snowpack zealot but will have had snow on ground for 11 days straight assuming today is the last day for it - that’s pretty legit. 

Where was the Advisory early this am??????  Crazy that NWS just issued this for Frederick.

1029 AM EST Thu Jan 25 2024

...DENSE FOG ADVISORY NOW IN EFFECT UNTIL 1 PM EST THIS
AFTERNOON...

* WHAT...Visibility one quarter mile or less in areas of dense
  fog.

* WHERE...Frederick MD, Carroll, Northern Baltimore, Northwest
  Montgomery, Northwest Howard and Northwest Harford Counties.

* WHEN...Until 1 PM EST this afternoon.

* IMPACTS...Hazardous driving conditions due to low visibility.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

If driving, slow down, use your headlights, and leave plenty of
distance ahead of you.

• Like 1

No idea- it was immediately evident upon exiting the house in northern balt county that visibility blew. It got no better at any point on my thunderdome drive downtown. 

Same commute for me everyday. Parkton to Inner Harbor. I left at 6:45, so while still foggy it only took me 40 mins.
  • Like 1

Just glanced at my monthly stats, I've been +50 degrees for 2 hours this entire month to current, that was on the 12th with a 50.9 high. According to NWS Blacksburg I should cross 50 today with a forecasted 58 high, but they failed badly yesterday with a 53 forecasted and an actual of 44.7. We shall see.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mikeg0305 said:

Same commute for me everyday. Parkton to Inner Harbor. I left at 6:45, so while still foggy it only took me 40 mins.

I left at 7:30 and...too late for that today. Almost a dead stop at the Hereford zone ramp and bumper to bumper whole way down. No accidents, just fog and volume and rain. 85 minutes. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic