Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Discobs 2024

George BM

41 minutes ago, BlizzardNole said:

Still struggling to get out of the 20s

I just dug out the downspouts and splashguards so the big melt doesn't back up.  One house behind us has huge icicles on one stretch of gutter.  They must have a clog in that one

Lights flickering?

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, WEATHER53 said:

Low of 14

IAD made it to 7 and DCA cracked freezing at 31.

Sorry. DCA did make it to 21.

I can umagine if a thermometer is out in front of the Williard with macadam , brick and buildings then radiation is hampered, if you live in a townhouse ior apartment and your thermometer is secured on or around the building then the same thing.  Out in a field surrounded by open space and runway then same Doesnt  apply.  But, it’s FAA and not NWS. 

1 hour ago, WEATHER53 said:

Sorry. DCA did make it to 21.

I can umagine if a thermometer is out in front of the Williard with macadam , brick and buildings then radiation is hampered, if you live in a townhouse ior apartment and your thermometer is secured on or around the building then the same thing.  Out in a field surrounded by open space and runway then same Doesnt  apply.  But, it’s FAA and not NWS. 

The two personal weather stations right near, but across the river from DCA were 22 and 21 for lows.

Can I complain about IAD being ridiculously low when my low was 17?

3 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

The two personal weather stations right near, but across the river from DCA were 22 and 21 for lows.

yeah DCA actually compares better with the Navy Yard / Capitol Hill n'hoods in DC than it does with some of the ones on the VA side that are close-by.  When we lived downtown we were rarely more than a degree or two off from DCA.

10 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

No but you can reference that IAD was much closer to about 4/5 other stations who were all pretty close to each other  in the area and DCA stands alone.  I question other stations  that are way closer to DCA than camp springs as to the location of their thermometer.  Screwed  into a balcony on a condo?

11 minutes ago, pazzo83 said:

yeah DCA actually compares better with the Navy Yard / Capitol Hill n'hoods in DC than it does with some of the ones on the VA side that are close-by.  When we lived downtown we were rarely more than a degree or two off from DCA.

DCA does not match in with other stations, not even close.  BWI IAD Camp Springs are consistent in their relationship with each other.  DCA uniquely 5-15+ on many occasions.  And Most Importantly, although it’s rare for the Potomac to be frozen it has happened and the discrepancy is still there. 

High of 36. Some melting today, but still 4"+ otg.

Thaw begins in earnest tomorrow with low 40s.

eta- when I was typing/editing the op I deleted part of it- should read: 'still 2.5 - 4+" otg'.

Location in the woods filters the sun (and wind) quite a bit.

High hit 37° after a low of 12°. I think the craziest thing is the microclimate effect of the neighborhoods across from me on Monocacy in a bowl/valley. Readings ranged from 4° to 6° but as soon as you go up the hill to my place, it “only” got down to 12°. My high was 2-3° cooler however, so welcome to science 101: Density is Cool 

• Like 7

59 minutes ago, wxdude64 said:

Back to an even freezing at 6:30 after a 42.3 high. Currently 32.0/16.5. Lost about 1/2 the snow today, bare ground in spots facing south and open, about 3-4 inches in 'drifted' areas shaded. 

Someone needs to issue a "State of the Snowpack" statement for parts of the Mid Atlantic.

1 hour ago, MillvilleWx said:

High hit 37° after a low of 12°. I think the craziest thing is the microclimate effect of the neighborhoods across from me on Monocacy in a bowl/valley. Readings ranged from 4° to 6° but as soon as you go up the hill to my place, it “only” got down to 12°. My high was 2-3° cooler however, so welcome to science 101: Density is Cool 

Anyone get that BTTF 2 reference?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WVsnowlover said:

Absolutely gorgeous sunset this evening

20240122_173627.jpg

Now, THAT would be a magnificent Drift to jebwalk in, even roll around in late tonight right around 3am when everyone is deep in the arms of Morpheus. That's a beaut, Clark!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, WEATHER53 said:

DCA does not match in with other stations, not even close.  BWI IAD Camp Springs are consistent in their relationship with each other.  DCA uniquely 5-15+ on many occasions.  And Most Importantly, although it’s rare for the Potomac to be frozen it has happened and the discrepancy is still there. 

lol it matches fine with urban areas especially in the District.  It's not supposed to have the same temperature as you.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic