• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Two Mdt to high impact events NYC subforum; wknd Jan 6-7 Incl OBS, and mid week Jan 9-10 (incl OBS). Total water equiv by 00z/11 general 2", possibly 6" includes snow-ice mainly interior. RVR flood potential increases Jan 10 and beyond. Damaging wind.

wdrag

24 minutes ago, psv88 said:

A shame this will end soon. Better than nothing I guess. Another 2-3 hours of this we’d have a nice snowfall. Oh well

Light to moderate snow here and temp is down to 32.  The street is beginning to cave.

It's not out of the question we end up with an inch here, but we had two or more inches of snow twice last winter so no records for futility are not on the table.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

Thanks for all the info/insights, but I still am curious about the difference, as the RFC forecast I posted clearly says through 1/13, so it's not cut off on 1/10.  IMO, discrepancies like that are not good to have unless there's a really good reason for it (like the forecasts are simply different - but if they are, the NWS should explain that so users aren't confused).  

Most sure what you';re looking at... just saw the lager Pine Brook in minor heading for moderate on 1/10 but nothing bout 1/13.  Please send me what you're looking at that says 1/13 =thanks. I have to prep some pea soup so ill be away at times. 

I have looked at guidance through the end of the month and so the 6" value I posted for top 10 January may end up 2" in error but thats what I came up with...a "chance" for a top 10 Jan water equivalent wise. 

If we dont exceed 2" in CP this next event on 1/9-10, then 6" for January seems less likely.  

9 minutes ago, wdrag said:

Since I have no emoji's...thanks... these are what we like to enjoy. Gotta have some fun. Thagts a heckuva long driveway!!! Sticks I suspect, just like up here near the Appalachian Trail.

Yeah Helderberg Mountains (really hills) west of Albany, a northeast extension of the  Catskills geologically speaking. I'm just off the 'Long Path' .. hiking trail. That goes from the GW Bridge northward to here amd crosses the App Trail around Schunemunk or thereabouts. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, psv88 said:

A shame this will end soon. Better than nothing I guess. Another 2-3 hours of this we’d have a nice snowfall. Oh well

Yup, some decent table scraps I guess. As usual the CCB is coming together too late and will be best for New England. 

Another snow burst here of mod snow.  Looks like 20 to 30 minutes left before the precip cuts off.  This has been a pleasant storm here  because we did not get much if any rain north of HPN.  I’ll be sad to see it wash away so quick esp. since the next 10 days do not look promising, in fact the opposite as it stands.  Longer term is a crap shoot.

6 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

Light to moderate snow here and temp is down to 32.  The street is beginning to cave.

It's not out of the question we end up with an inch here, but we had two or more inches of snow twice last winter so no records for futility are on the table.

I guess futility continues for the Central Park Zoo or wherever they take measurements  now. It makes a good headline.

3 minutes ago, Logan11 said:

Yeah Helderberg Mountains (really hills) west of Albany, a northeast extension of the  Catskills geologically speaking. I'm just off the 'Long Path' .. hiking trail. That goes from the GW Bridge northward to here amd crosses the App Trail around Schunemunk or thereabouts. 

Challenging!  Thanks, Walt

2 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Sun trying to poke out in Long Beach. Snow flakes mix in with light rain every now and again. Depressing/nasty. Happy for the folks north who got a good event. 

All out snowstorm up here. Between the 0.4 last night and this batch we will cobble together an inch for the event

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Logan11 said:

I used to drive out to Thatcher State Park to study/hike the Indian ladder trail when I was up at SUNY/ALS. I miss it up there, but can’t get my wife to agree to head north. 

10 minutes ago, psv88 said:

All out snowstorm up here. Between the 0.4 last night and this batch we will cobble together an inch for the event

Hopefully my street’s good when I get back. It’s annoying enough around a hill and curvy on a normal day but icy it’s a nightmare. 

13 minutes ago, ForestHillWx said:

I used to drive out to Thatcher State Park to study/hike the Indian ladder trail when I was up at SUNY/ALS. I miss it up there, but can’t get my wife to agree to head north. 

That's  cool. I'm about 8 miles northwest of Thatcher. The LP extends past Thatcher to the Mohawk now but admittedly a good chunk of it still follows roads in places on this northern extension. I went to SUNYA also but later 80 to early 90s. 

• Like 1

• wdrag changed the title to Two Mdt to high impact events NYC subforum; wknd Jan 6-7 Incl OBS, and mid week Jan 9-10 (incl OBS). Total water equiv by 00z/11 general 2", possibly 6" includes snow-ice mainly interior. RVR flood potential increases Jan 10 and beyond. Damaging wind.
  • Rjay unpinned this topic