• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Two Mdt to high impact events NYC subforum; wknd Jan 6-7 Incl OBS, and mid week Jan 9-10 (incl OBS). Total water equiv by 00z/11 general 2", possibly 6" includes snow-ice mainly interior. RVR flood potential increases Jan 10 and beyond. Damaging wind.

wdrag

For NYC this could come down to a nowcast. A few degree difference in surface temps or a 50 mile difference in location of the low will have huge effects on the snow falling. Mesoscale models in a few days will be helpful but there would need to be substantial differences in the model runs to change this reality, imo.

28 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

could also drift SE. the ECMWF has an overamped bias

These global models haven’t had much success with the proper placement of the rain-snow line near NYC at the 72-96 hr range. It usually comes down to mesos like the NAM to correctly diagnose the warm tongue from the ESE and the other models have a cold and weak bias with this feature. Unfortunately, the NAM hasn’t been updated since 2017. And several models like the HRRR have had a cold bias. So I hope they can come up with a suitable NAM replacement before retiring the model. 

• Like 3

Just now, bluewave said:

These global models haven’t had much success with the proper placement of the rain-snow line near NYC at the 72-96 hr range. It usually comes down to mesos like the NAM to correctly diagnose the warm tongue from the ESE and the other models have a cold and weak bias with this feature. Unfortunately, the NAM hasn’t been updated since 2017. And several models like the HRRR have had a cold bias. So I hope they can come up with a suitable NAM replacement before retiring the model. 

I’ll follow the Nam but I don’t take it seriously until it’s within 36 hours of game time. The go to model for me is the RGEM.

39 minutes ago, NutleyBlizzard said:

I’ll follow the Nam but I don’t take it seriously until it’s within 36 hours of game time. The go to model for me is the RGEM.

Definitely. They don’t really come into great focus until the shorter range. The globals can show a rain-snow line near the Driscoll bridge days 3-5 that ends up between the George Washington and Tappan Zee bridges in the mesos once under 36 hrs. This is the challenge of living in such a high population area near the ocean. An error rate like this in the Plains isn’t as important since many regions are much more sparsely populated and would go unnoticed. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Definitely. They don’t really come into great focus until into the shorter range. The globals can snow a rain-snow line near the Driscoll bridge days 3-5 that ends up between the GW and Tappan Zee in the mesos once under 36 hrs. This is the challenge of living on such a high population area near the ocean. An error rate like this in the Plains isn’t as important since many regions are much more sparsely populated and would go unnoticed. 

It is also a region with varied elevation and a concrete jungle in a very confined space. One naturally affects things. One unnaturally affects things. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, the_other_guy said:

It is also a region with varied elevation and a concrete jungle in a very confined space. One naturally affects things. One unnaturally affects things. 

I liked it much better when the NWS office was in 30 Rock and had the mets going over to the Park to measure snowfall in person. These days the staff at the Park sometimes gets out there too late and the snowfall has melted or settled. It’s not done with the precision of the airport observers. That’s why I think NYC probably got 1 inch like the airports last winter but was under measured. But the below 2” streak looks valid since it’s backed up by the airports which are in the same snow drought.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, the_other_guy said:

Did you just finish college 101 philosophy and creative writing?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

51 minutes ago, TriPol said:

I wish people would stop talking about 287. Most of this forum lives south of 95 and those that don’t live in between 95 and 287. Who cares what 287 gets? They have a completely different climate than us.

Ok, I'll talk about North of the Merritt and North of Tappan Zee just for you

• Haha 3

Have been using tonight as the first benchmark for a bit of 'consolidation' in model land on resolving the departing SW strength and also the main system out west fwiw.

Otherwise no new thoughts from yday.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NittanyWx said:

Have been using tonight as the first benchmark for a bit of 'consolidation' in model land on resolving the departing SW strength and also the main system out west fwiw.

Otherwise no new thoughts from yday.

Haven't been in this thread -

Hey did you notice the double S/W capture scenario going on?  The Euro really hits that idea hard, and sends this through a NJ model rapid deepener scenario - toward 985 mb passing SE of the Cape and clear attempt at primitive CCB/clip into eastern southern New England.  Fascinating

• Like 1

• wdrag changed the title to Two Mdt to high impact events NYC subforum; wknd Jan 6-7 Incl OBS, and mid week Jan 9-10 (incl OBS). Total water equiv by 00z/11 general 2", possibly 6" includes snow-ice mainly interior. RVR flood potential increases Jan 10 and beyond. Damaging wind.
  • Rjay unpinned this topic