• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Two Mdt to high impact events NYC subforum; wknd Jan 6-7 Incl OBS, and mid week Jan 9-10 (incl OBS). Total water equiv by 00z/11 general 2", possibly 6" includes snow-ice mainly interior. RVR flood potential increases Jan 10 and beyond. Damaging wind.

wdrag

29 minutes ago, Volcanic Winter said:

It really is uncanny how often that tends to correct stronger, as you’ve always discussed. 

Look at trough digging into SW California, it's further west than the earlier run and is actually what ruined our neg NAO episodes from March, last December and two Decembers ago.

Forky actually had a post a couple days ago pointing this out with "sorry don't like the trough here" or something to that effect.

Like waves in a bathtub, dip in the west equals ridge in the east. 

Also I posted a post from orh_wxman a few weeks ago which explained that a deep trough in the SW only works when you have a piece of the PV driving south like in December 2002, which goes to show it's relatively rare to overcome and we do not have a piece of the PV to our north driving south this time.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, mannynyc said:

Trend is not our friend but these things tend to wobble in both directions. 

Usually when the models lock on a north trend, it doesn't wobble the other way in a significant manner. Never underestimate the SE Ridge. This is why I always like our chances (at the coast) better when the models are showing a more suppressed look 4-5 days out. 

Just now, Franklin0529 said:

Not a cancel. Just following the trends. These never correct south 

Exactly-thats why you want a scrape or miss OTS from this range.   NW trends usually continue right up to go time so this (based on prior events) is likely to be mostly rain for the city/coast.  Airmass in Canada is not all that cold either...

1 minute ago, Franklin0529 said:

Yeah I don't remember the last time a storm corrected south inside 72 hours. We might see some waffling but the final solution is likely an interior hit, rain for the coast with a battleground in between. 95 corridor could see 0 to 6" 

Going to again reiterate that I believe the upside for this storm along the coastal plain is a low end event, even in a suppressed solution, if you want to keep it snow. 

Inland a different story.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wdrag said:

Too tough for me.  Guess 1-4 for a start.  Just no lock.  May not know til Friday afternoon 

think this is a reasonable first guess, though towards lower end.

• Thanks 1

It really makes me laugh with these posts. Between winter cancel. No opportunities coming. Then wow we going to get slammed.  To oh no it’s shifting nw.   Any of us can look at a model and see what it shows.  Imagine if all models were correct a week out or 3 days out etc. What would be the point of the challenge to forecast this?  Personally I kept saying for a couple of days snow nyc on north.  Then stick with it until the energy comes onto the mainland and models adjust. Breathe ppl it’s going to be a wild ride this winter.  Major opportunities with cold to work with coming up.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Weenie 1

9 minutes ago, tristateweatherFB said:

It really makes me laugh with these posts. Between winter cancel. No opportunities coming. Then wow we going to get slammed.  To oh no it’s shifting nw.   Any of us can look at a model and see what it shows.  Imagine if all models were correct a week out or 3 days out etc. What would be the point of the challenge to forecast this?  Personally I kept saying for a couple of days snow nyc on north.  Then stick with it until the energy comes onto the mainland and models adjust. Breathe ppl it’s going to be a wild ride this winter.  Major opportunities with cold to work with coming up.   

Its pretty par for the course. There are other boards where its nothing but hugging the coldest and snowiest model and anything else is considered negative. I think most on here have a decent understanding of how these things work. It's also highly possible that NYC gets nothing for this event or the follow-up and has to wait until late month which many people said from the beginning. So its nice to have something to track despite all the model hugging and wishcasting. Now onto the euro in a few where we'll all be throwing in the towel or back on board depending on what it shows.

2 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

Its pretty par for the course. There are other boards where its nothing but hugging the coldest and snowiest model and anything else is considered negative. I think most on here have a decent understanding of how these things work. It's also highly possible that NYC gets nothing for this event or the follow-up and has to wait until late month which many people said from the beginning. So its nice to have something to track despite all the model hugging and wishcasting. Now onto the euro in a few where we'll all be throwing in the towel or back on board depending on what it shows.

Good post.  Regarding the follow up apparently no one here has looked at what the CMC OP does with it… lol

28 minutes ago, tristateweatherFB said:

Agree, we repeat this yearly, though let's be sympathetic too for everyone after such a long snow drought. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Franklin0529 said:

Exactly. We've all been through this before and we know how it usually ends. This is in all likelihood an interior snowstorm, these marginal threats usually favor the interior. This isn't exactly a storm cancel based on nothing, it's a pattern recognition and following historical trends.

It doesn't mean that a favorable change can't occur however but it's a longshot for anything significant at the coast.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Allsnow said:

Nope. Really doesn’t get going until it’s northeast of us. Nice hit for Pa and sne 

Yep looking like that now . 

Sorry guys . I think I jinxed this for us when I said that we haven't had a storm hitting SNE and us rain in a long time. 

• Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, Franklin0529 said:

A weaker storm isn't going to cut it I don't think 

Nope. The low center is 2 mb weaker and a bit east, but the rain-snow line is more N and W. I reiterate what the other mets have said that this is very much thread the needle between conflicting variables. You need to simultaneously balance being amplified enough to send in the best dynamics and not be squashed by confluence, but also not torching the mid levels with strong easterly flow.  Extremely difficult to pull off in this setup. Interior is a different story, this should be nice for the Poconos, NWNJ, and I-84 corridor in NY. 

• Like 5

• wdrag changed the title to Two Mdt to high impact events NYC subforum; wknd Jan 6-7 Incl OBS, and mid week Jan 9-10 (incl OBS). Total water equiv by 00z/11 general 2", possibly 6" includes snow-ice mainly interior. RVR flood potential increases Jan 10 and beyond. Damaging wind.
  • Rjay unpinned this topic